Skin Care Talk banner

What is your favorite foundation?

178K views 781 replies 224 participants last post by  CocoMonday 
#1 ·
My favorite products are from MAC. I especially like the Studiofix foundation.

#32 ·
I like a lot of stuff from MAC, but not their foundations.

My favourties are:

Laura Mercier Moisturizing
Stephane Marais Cream Foundation (discontinued)
Chantecaille Future Skin
Shiseido Powdery Foundation
Guerlain Fleur de Teint
Clinique Superfit
Chanel Teint Universel

#36 ·
hey MAC lovers!! not good for everyday use!! studiofix contains oils and lanolin, very harsh for sensitive, reactive, or oily skin! everyday foundation should be hydrating, oil-free, and match your jawline in natural sunlight. if your foundation is changing colors, try switching formulas. your chemistry is making it change. try precriptives liquid foundations, or era spray-on foundation. both are my absolute favorites for all skin types!

#38 ·
Foundation is base for applying makeup, better spent some money on good quality foundation. This is because the more expensive foundation, the more purer the ingredient. There are also different type of foundation - you have to choose the right type of foundation for your skin type.

I had summaries on type of foundation based on skin type. If anyone interested, you can browse it at blogmute - makeover utopia to euphoria

#45 ·
I like Bare Escentuals or Glo Minerals, they dont have any talc (suffocates skin), and they're all natural so you can't have any allergic reactions to them. Glo is really good for people with oily skin or problematic skin because they have antioxidants in it so its even healthy to use them after a facial or chemical peel!

#47 ·
I love mac studio fix because I can find the exact colour for my skin tone which is quite hard to find in other make up brands. I also love Bare minerals but it leaves my skin quite oily.I've read some good reviews on Jane Iredale and Glo minerals but they are so hard to find in the UK

#50 ·
MakeUp Forever HD Invisible Foundation. Available at Sephora. Lovely! Gives me an airbrushed finish even on a bad skin day. I dot it on with a stipple brush, then smoosh it around to blend well. I go over any areas that need more concealing with a concealer brush (no separate concealer needed, I find). After dry, I buff it with a kabuki. I don't use any finishing powder, but some do.

MAC MSFNatural. I use this over my sunblock on days when I don't have time to do a liquid foundation. It's like MMU, but not as cakey/dry.

#51 ·
I have been reading through these posts and am embarrassed to admit that I have not purchased foundation in probably 7 years or so. I am a full-time student and so makeup just has not been a priority for me. But I would l like to start wearing it again and update my collection, and would appreciate your advice. I seem to have combination skin and would be going for medium coverage. I recently stopped at some cosmetic counters and looked at both the MAC studio fix and Make Up Forever HD. What would lead one to choose one over the other? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

#52 ·
Hi mireckca,
Wow it's nice not to wear makeup! What freedom! You might like a tinted moisturizer better since it doesn't take any technique to apply, you just smoosh it on with your fingers. I know MUFE HD takes a certain technique to make it look best: you have to use a stipple brush (skunk brush) to dot it over the face then buff it on with a buffer or kabuki brush. This gives that airbrushed look instead of a mask. I don't use MAC so don't know about their line. I think Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer gets good reviews - it's available at Nordstrom's and some other high-end stores.
Hope this helps! Sometimes you just have to try a lot of foundations before you find the right one for you.....it's so totally individual....I personally have been thru an OCEAN of foundation to find the one I like best....and then my skin is always changing, so I have to keep adjusting among favorites!!
If you get it narrowed down to a few you like, get generous samples from the counters so you can play with them on your own on a clean skin to see what works best for you. Using a primer makes a big difference too, as far as lasting ability and smooth finish.

#53 ·
Thanks for your suggestions Fawnie. I agree that the tinted moisturizer may be the thing to start out with. I will spend some time soon at Sephora and try out some options. The one in my area is very good about giving samples and advice (no Nordstrom's - boohoo!).

#54 ·
Oh Sephora! You will find something there for sure! They are great about the samples too. They will give you good-sized trials of foundations. A+++ to them for their liberal returns policy! Hope you find something great and please report back on what you think is the best!!!

#55 ·
me too, i love mac's studiofix foundation. Everyone always says how it makes you break out and what not, but it didn't for me at all! It lasts all day and comes off easily at night. For around 26 dollars its not too bad compared to other brands like estee lauder, lancome, prescriptives, chanel, bobbi brown etc....

#56 ·
Also for a day when u dont need much coverage, PRESCRIPTIVES TRACELESS, is a good tinted moisturizer that feel weightless on and when set with a loose power, last all day. Gives nice color to the skin and evens out skin tone. A little concelear on any spots and your good to go!

#58 ·
L'Oreal True Match Compact Foundation is a real find!

I usually turn up my nose at drugstore cosmetics, but on a whim I tried this and, guess what! it really is as nice as any highend foundation. It's a creamy foundation in a compact that I apply with my fingers. It blends in seamlessly and the finish is flawless...not too dewy and not too matte. My skin is normal with some fine lines and i think it blurred the lines and pores beautifully.
It comes in a wide range of colors, so I think anyone can find a good match.

For $11.99 for an 8.5 g compact, it's a steal. Sometimes, with a coupon you can get it for less.

#60 ·
MakeUp Forever HD Invisible Foundation - really does make my skin look air-brushed! but there is a technique to applying it...Comes in a pump bottle for hygienic reasons

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - easy to apply and gives a wonderful glow. Comes in a tube for travel.

Dior Nude Hydrating Foundation - this is one I have to try - gets good reviews!

#66 ·
I finally got to Sephora to look at foundation, which is the best place to go here in Toronto, I think, because of the generous return policy.

I haven't worn foundation in so long that I didn't know where to start, so I followed advice here (per Fawnie, who else?) and went for the tinted moisturizer.

They did not carry the Laura Mercier that I hoped to sample (they are getting it soon, though) and I didn't want to wait, so I went for the Dior HydraAction - it might be the one you noted above, Fawnie.

It's great - I love it. It applies easily and looks wonderfully natural. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, since I haven't worn anything else for so long. But I am happy with it. I actually look forward to going out just so I can wear it! You see, I don't wear anything (on my face, that is) when I am working at home, which is most days of the week.

It's 20SPF which is good; it's expensive but that's okay because I don't wear it often. (about $40 Canadian or so, I think).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.