Skin Care Talk banner

What is your favorite foundation?

178K views 781 replies 224 participants last post by  CocoMonday 
#1 ·
My favorite products are from MAC. I especially like the Studiofix foundation.

#62 ·
Giorgio Armani Cosmetics has the best foundations! I started using their Luminous Silk Foundation after I read about it in Allure magazine a few years ago and now I'm a Giorgio Armani addict. It was hard at first to get used to the higher cost but I only have to buy my foundation about once a year. You don't have to use much and it doesn't feel like you're wearing makeup at all.

#65 ·
AWAKE Skin Renovation Fluid Make Up

($55 for 30 ml / 1.0 fl.oz.)

An emollient, full-coverage foundation to revitalize skin and brighten complexion. Uses Lift Stretch Matrix technology to create an even, firm layer that stretches with facial movements while lifting skin for a youthful appearance. Intercellular lipid provides hydration, and Pearl extract promotes natural, healthy luster. Hydrolyzed Yeast helps revitalize skin, while Horsetail extract helps tighten skin pores. Rich texture blends evenly into skin for full-coverage that feels light and non-greasy.

To use: Apply foundation using a sponge or fingertips. To dilute coverage, moisten sponge using Lotion Refresher. Use two pumps and apply sparingly to create a healthy, natural look.

Available in 10 shades: Vanilla, Cashew, Custard, Honey, Camel, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Amber, Toast, and Mocha.

THIS STUFF ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
I take back what I said about MUFE HD! This is way better and gives a totally natural finish, not shiny with mica at all. I don't think it is over-moist and it would even work on combination skin with a primer underneath to blot the oily areas. I use a primer and a sunblock and this still does not look cakey or mask-y.
Available at Bergdorf Goodman's. I wear 04 Honey for my light-medium skin and this adds some color without being too much. It's a Japanese brand so the shades have a yellow undertone which is flattering to most.
A definite thumbs up!

#70 ·
The advisor at Sephora spoke of it as if it were new. It's called "HyraAction" deep hydration skin tint. She explained that the Laura Mercier product was more of a "cosmetic" and this Dior product was more of a "skin care" product - whatever that means. Anyway, it comes in a tube and I can see that it will last me forever.

#71 ·
Sounds excellent....I feel a shopping binge coming on......
Does it last well throughout the day for you?
Does it have a matte or a dewy finish? I like it somewhere in between.
What are the colors like in your opinion? Pinkish or yellowish? I like yellow & find the Japanese brands are better for this. The French brands are so pink!

#72 ·
It lasts well enough for me, and I tend not to put it on too heavily. It is hydrating and natural - not at all matte (dull) or shiny, so in-between is probably the best way to describe it.

There are only 4 shades - I was matched as #2 which is natural; I am a bad judge of undertones; I was matched as #120 in the MUFE (which I think is medium-light with yellow undertones) - if that is any help. #1 is porcelain, which was just to light for me, and #3 + 4 get progressively darker. Try to get a sample and try it out.

#74 ·
Thanks StayingYoung, I know a lot of ppl love Bareminerals, but I found it to be too shiny - it gave me that Tin Man look! Too glowy. But I think it would be nice for very young ppl.

Mireckca, I think I will look for that Dior HydraAction. I wear MUFE HD in #120 also and it's a good match but it feels a bit heavy on my skin. By the time I get serum-oil-sunscreen-foundation on it feels like a mask.
\t
DIOR
HydrAction Deep Hydration Skin Tint SPF 20\t
What it is:
A tinted facial moisturizer with SPF 20.

What it does:
Dior HydrAction Deep Hydration Skin Tint SPF 20 is a velvety, sheer face tint with ultra-fine pigments and light-reflecting micro-pearls. This luxurious texture creates a natural veil of fresh color and radiance, for the illusion of bare skin with the promise of perfect hydration. It corrects imperfections, evens the skintone, and also contains a SPF 20 sun protection and the irrigating Aquacapt™ Complex to reinforce the skin's natural moisture reserves all day long.

Size: 1.7 oz

I assume you wear sunscreen under it also. I never trust SPF in foundation or moisturizer to be sufficient. Do you wear moisturizer under it too?

#75 ·
Do you wear moisturizer under it or is it moisturizing enuf? I assume you wear sunscreen under it also. I never trust SPF in foundation or moisturizer to be sufficient.
I am still trying to figure out what works best. So far I have worn moisturizer as well because I need it to protect my skin against the winter elements (on another thread I mentioned that I spend alot of time walking outside). In the summer or for just staying indoors, maybe it won't be necessary, we'll see.

As far as sunscreen goes, I have been applying a good sunscreen to areas on my face where I apply the Retin-A. I should probably be using it on my entire face now that I using the Vitamin C serum more extensively. I have a tube of La Roche Posay "Anthelios" 45 that has mexoryl xl - but I cannot imagine using it on my whole face. It seems heavy to me - but I guess it's just one more thing to get accustomed to.

#76 ·
Yes. I thought Anthelios XL was heavy and sticky too.

I used Devita for a while because it was more like a moisturizer with a sunscreen in it, but it's only 17% zinc oxide so i don't trust it for very long outside, especially if I'm not going to be reapplying it, say, over makeup. It WAS nice and light and seemed to make my skin LOOK nice.

Now that I use Retin-A, I pulled out the big guns and use Avene Emulsion 50+. It doesn't seem "too" bad, but is a little heavier than the wimpy sunscreens I used to use. Still, for the protection, it's worth the slight discomfort. It's better than Anthelios XL for sure.

I have to use an oil cleanser first to remove it before regular cleansing or I feel like I haven't gotten it all off. Apparently this is a problem with Japanese and Euro brands.

I'm looking forward to trying that Dior HydrAction TM!! Thanks mireckca!

#78 ·
I am currently using Dior Skin Nude- natural glow hydrating makeup. I have never tried Dior makeup, and I must say I like it alot. Before this I was using Laura Mercier. In the Mercier line I have tried the silk creme- little too much coverage. The oil free foundation worked for a couple years for me, but now I feel I need a little bit more hydration. So, I jumped out on a limb and tried Dior. I love it. Great coverage, not too matte, not too dewy. After applying my foundation I apply Make up Forever HD powder. Love it!!
Another good foundation is Lancome Teint Idole Ultra. It has a nice finish and you don't need a powder.

#79 ·
Gymrat, tell me more about Dior Skin Nude Hydrating Makeup! I don't like a lot of "shine", illumination or sparkle in my foundation, and if one of the ingred is mica, I get that TinMan look. But I hate the dry powdery matte look too. I'm still looking for that perfect product! Could this be it???

#81 ·
thanks Gymrat!

That's a bummer SilkenPearl closed her site! I would have to google around to find another place selling it. Many of those mineral makeup sites sell silk&pearl powder, I know. I think the HD powder is pure silica which would work for a primer too, I bet.

Mari here likes Skinn Orchid Gel as a primer - she says it mattes very well for her. She gets it from a TV shopping site, but if you google it you'll find it. Even eBay sells it, I believe.

I think I will try the Dior Nude next time I'm at Sephora! Mireckca here likes the Dior HydrAction TM. I think I need more coverage than just TM though. Laura Mercier TM just didn't cover much for me, but the consistency was good - it stayed put!

Yeah I tried Lancome Teint idole and had the same complaint: too dry-looking. *sigh* I try everything new, but just can't find the right HG one!! Part of the problem is that my skin keeps changing while I'm using Retin-A - dry one day, fine the next.... right now I'm just using Dr Hauschka foundation since it has few harsh chemicals and is very lightweight. But it doesn't give any coverage at all... hmmmm. Maybe Dior has something for me!!! thanks!!! =)

#85 ·
thanks Gymrat!

That's a bummer SilkenPearl closed her site! I would have to google around to find another place selling it. Many of those mineral makeup sites sell silk&pearl powder, I know. I think the HD powder is pure silica which would work for a primer too, I bet.

Mari here likes Skinn Orchid Gel as a primer - she says it mattes very well for her. She gets it from a TV shopping site, but if you google it you'll find it. Even eBay sells it, I believe.

I think I will try the Dior Nude next time I'm at Sephora! Mireckca here likes the Dior HydrAction TM. I think I need more coverage than just TM though. Laura Mercier TM just didn't cover much for me, but the consistency was good - it stayed put!

Yeah I tried Lancome Teint idole and had the same complaint: too dry-looking. *sigh* I try everything new, but just can't find the right HG one!! Part of the problem is that my skin keeps changing while I'm using Retin-A - dry one day, fine the next.... right now I'm just using Dr Hauschka foundation since it has few harsh chemicals and is very lightweight. But it doesn't give any coverage at all... hmmmm. Maybe Dior has something for me!!! thanks!!! =)
Apart from Mac Studio fix which I have already said is very good I have recently tried Chanel Teint Inoocence cream to powder fondation which give good coverage only drawback is that the range of colours available is not as extensive as Mac but still wirth trying I would say.

#88 ·
Well updates for the Dior foundation. I know this sounds crazy, but......I think it is making me sweat!! do you think this is possible? I only sweat on my nose. You know those lovely sweat beads that people get right on their noses. That what happens. I am doing some trial and error stuff, to see if maybe it is cause by something else I am using before I apply my foundation. I will keep you posted.

#91 ·
Oh no!!!!!! It sounds like Fawnie is still on the prowl for the perfect foundation.

I haven't tried the one mentioned. I'm still on the TM. Anyway, let me ask - do you (and others here) wear foundation in the summer months? I can't imagine doing so with the heat and humidity. Maybe just for special occasions when the AC is guaranteed. Bronze blusher - of course; heavy makeup - not for me anyway.

#93 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by fawnie

A nice bronzing powder is a wonderful idea! Which ones look the best would you say? I like Guerlain Summer Stones right now: comes in a huge jar for $60 and lasts forever. I don't think I'll ever use this up. The "pearls" are different colors, like Meteorites. But again, always looking.....

I really just started updating my makeup collection last summer. I threw away my very, very, very old stuff and bought a powder blusher from Benefit during my first trip to Sephora (yep, just last year). It is a nice product (the color is called "Dallas") but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

I have to stick with it till it's gone. There are just too many other things that I want/need so I am not going to toss it and chase after the elusive perfect blusher. But I am going to look at the Guerlain product you mentioned the next time I am out - sounds interesting.

Quote: Originally Posted by

BTW, I see we have some new smilies, but no dogs! Haha! Cats Rule!

Not fair! Not fair! Woof-woof-woof! Woof-woof-woof!

#97 ·
I was thinking about that saying about a dog's saliva being antiseptic, but then did a search and learned otherwise -

"This is another question that I get from time to time and the consensus is that itâ€2122s not the dogâ€2122s saliva that promotes healing…itâ€2122s the act of licking a wound that is beneficial. The licking removes damaged tissue cells and itâ€2122s this that helps to promote healing†- according to a Dr Levine.

Read more: "Is a Dog's Mouth Cleaner than a Human's? Find Out if a Dogâ€2122s Mouth is Cleaner or More Sterile" - Is a Dog's Mouth Cleaner than a Human's? Find Out if a Dog?s Mouth is Cleaner or More Sterile

I'll keep looking - there must be something, maybe the allergy angle would work here as well. You can offer both cat and dog based lip plumpers.

#98 ·
Thanks for that link! I just read this from there:

"There are few illnesses and infections that can be transmitted between the two different species, so a human is much more likely to get ill or otherwise have adverse effects from contact with another human. So dog lovers can take comfort in knowing that a lick or kiss from their dog is not likely to cause any problems."
Is a Dog's Mouth Cleaner than a Human's? Find Out if a Dog?s Mouth is Cleaner or More Sterile

The next time someone acts so grossed out when I kiss my cat, I will quote it!

PS - how did we get from Foundation------------> to Dog Spit????!!!!!!! LOL

#101 ·
Attachment 215 Guerlain Summer Stones Bronzing Perles

Hi Rat! No! Guerlain makes some nice bronzers that aren't Oompaloompa orange and aren't TinMan shiny! This is more "glowy" and with a hint of sparkle, but not disco-queen. It is very sheer so easy to build without going OTT. I use a skunk brush to apply it so it goes on really sheer where I want it to and I use it even on my eyelids. It's for allover color. You could crush the "stones" and add to a moisturizer, they say, for a different look. It comes in a big jar, so you can be lavish with it!!! They don't include a brush though. For $60USD you'd think they would....

You sweat on your nose. Hmmm. I seem to recall that is a symptom of something.....but can't think of it......oh YES!: ----------->

EBOLA!!! heheh

#102 ·
Soounds like a great bronzer! It seems like no matter what one I get and I my stock pile is growing, they all look the same! That pukey orange tint!! Who wants to look orange, really? Glowy yes, disco queen....sometimes. j/k loved the 70's and 80's though.

Explain EBOLA???? as in ebola virus......? u have me stumped

EBOLA!!! heheh[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.