Skin Care Talk banner

Eczema on hands

50K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  danabug 
#1 ·
I have had a cronic problem with eczema, or at least that is what the dermatologist has diagnosed. My skin, on the tips of the thumbs and three fingers on each becomes dry and cracks. The dryness usually extends down the side of the thumb and forefinger. It does not itch, but becomes dry and hard, cracking and scaling. It feels like my fingers have been dipped in wax. I have seen 3 dermatologists along with two other doctors, and have tried several steroid creams, other prescription creams along with just about everything I can get over the counter. Nothing seems to have any effect. I have had a patch test, with no indication of any allegery. I have also taken Grenz treatments, which is a form of xray and gama ray. That seemed to have a little effect, but nothing has really given any relief. I wear exam gloves much of the time at work and home. They seem to keep the mositure in, and give some relief. This has been the most disabiliting problem I have ever had. I am male, 65 years old, and this has been going on for about 2 or 3 years. I have never had any skin problem similar to this in the past, and I know no one in my family who has. The only other suggestion the doctors have offered are drugs that will lower my immune system. I am not anxious to try that unless it is the last resort. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
mbdean

#4 ·
I am going to the Dr. tomorrow and will talk with them about the drug therapy. I will probably try more Grenz treatments first, though. A couple of Drs have discourgaged using the drugs that effect the immune system, suggesting that the side effects could be worst than the eczema.
Thanks,
Mbdean

#6 ·
Taking immune lowering pharmecuticles is about as bad an idea as i could imagine. A lot of eczema and most psoriasis is a result of a compromised immune system. Compromised immune systems are pretty much the norm these days, so were seeing more and more skin problems all the time. Remember that the epidermis is our biggest organ. It reacts to our environment, internal and external and of course to hormonal/emotional influences.

The reason the medical fraternity dont have a sensible answer to this simple problem is because they exist (operate) within a very narrow paradigm. Too narrow to deal with more holistic issues such as this. Nutrition is also outside their "area of expertise."

Topical treatments alone aren't the answer. There are a couple of products out there that are designed to give relief that work brilliantly but without addressing the cause, treating the symptom will most likely be only a "band aid"
Steroid creams are immune function supressents. Suppression of symptoms will not cure. In fact suppressing simptoms will lead eventually to the cause emerging elsewhere presenting even more dramatic symptoms. Good Immune boosters are available from naturopaths and health food stores. This is where i would start, after i address the following important points.
Cut out any immune supressents, this includes processed Sugar, alcahol and coffee.
If you smoke, dont worry about the eczma! You've got bigger stuff on the way!
Do you get eight hours sleep? Your immune system regenerates when you sleep.
Do you drink 2+ litres of alkaline water a day? I stress ALKALINE.
Do you eat a percentage of raw organic Vegetables every day?
Are you Happy? (before the eczma) Your thoughts create you!

Look Guys, its not rocket science. Eczma shouldnt exist!

#7 ·
Hi, I hope your eczema is healing... I agree with Baz I have to say. Eczema is an immune response to the skin's hypersensitivity, but reducing immune function is going to have effects on a lot more than your skin!

I have had eczema off and on for a long time, and I have tried ALL kinds of things, most of which don't work. Actually the best treatment I ever had was going to the Dead Sea. Soaking in the water there and going to a "clinic" (it was actually more like a spa!) wiped out my eczema for 6 months or something. But obviously, that's an expensive trip. I still soak in Dead Sea salts often, which really helps. There is something in all the minerals (there's like 120 minerals in the salts) that is amazingly helpful.

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I tried another Grenz treatment,(2 times), but not much change. If I knew it would work, I think I would make the trip to the Dead Sea. What did the "clinic" do? Maybe I could just try something like Epison Salt. About the only thing that seems to give relief is wearing exam gloves.
Thanks,
mbdean

#11 ·
My wife has some, and I have tried it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do much for me. About like all the other creams I have. They all initally help a little, but nothing seems to make it go away. As soon as the creams dry, the skin get hard again, and will start to crack. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
mbdean

#12 ·
I have been dealing with excezma for almost a year now. I am a 50 year old female that never had this problem before. I have gone the gamet. UVB treatments at the hospital twice a week, steroid pills, cortosoid creams & ointments. The worst of it is on the bottom of my right heel which makes it very painful to walk. I have never had any itching, only dryness, cracking, redness, and sore. I just had my second biopsy today. I am starting to believe that it is from exposure to mold in the classroom where I teach. I had to move out of the room 3 years ago to have the room stripped & cleaned. I have contracted pneumonia, 3months later I had auto immune arthritis wher I could not bend the fingers in my left hand for over a month, I now was diagnosed with asthma, allergies, & bronchitis 3 weeks ago. the fatigue is debilitating. For the last month I spend all my off time in bed. I used to be very active. Anyone have any suggestions for my poor immune system.
titusna

#13 ·
Check with your doctor to see if you have a sinus infection. I have expereinced this myself as well as a few others i know. It may sound far fetched but...we have noticed it often acts up when we have a sinus infection. Also, ask your doctor about Bactroban. This is the only thing I have found to help. If I notice it starting, I put it on immediatly and with any luck it doesn't get to bad!! Good luck!

#15 ·
Greetings,

I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to jump in here because I have been plagued with eczema in the past as have my children, and I found a way to get rid of it that worked for us. My eczema used to appear in patches on the insides of my of my arms, behind my knees and on the back of my neck. They would appear in the heat of the summer and then in the cold winter months. My daughter also had eczema all over her body when she was a baby.

To get rid of it I just took evening primrose oil supplements. They are just little capsules of oil that you can find at any health food store and they worked for me. After trying all of the creams, and the oatmeal baths that the pediatrician recommended for my daughter's rash, I asked him if it was safe to give my daughter the supplements. He said it was OK, so I did. I started with half a capsule squirted into whatever she was drinking. Eventually I used a whole capsule in her juice. It took a few weeks, but eventually the eczema cleared up completely and it has not returned.

Oddly enough when my cat developed an itchy skin condition where she would scratch herself until her skin bled, I squeezed some of the oil on her food, and not only did it clear up the itching, it gave her fur a noticeably shinier appearance.

#17 ·
My friend had eczema on her hand which just started out of the blue. She went to Dermatologists and tried all sorts of drugs. Nothing seemed to work and she ended up more allegies. A friend asked her what dishwashing detergent she used "Morning Fresh" (don't know if you have it there?) but she changed because it was highly alegenic and problems gone.

#18 ·
Hand Eczema Treatment:

Dermatologists usually offer a combination of methods for hand dermatitis treatment. Your dermatologist may suggest you an oral antibiotic if you are suffering from an infection. He may also prescribe you creams or medicated ointments to apply regularly. However, you are to make sure that you don’t use this in combination with other hand creams due to any side effects of the mixture. If you have to use any hand cream other than for hand eczema, you should consult your doctor as to avoid any possible allergy.

#19 ·
I used to have aczema, tried every thing and it didn't work .until I start experminting on my self I found any kind of soap or detergent will cause outbreak this is why I use disposable Gloves even when I am taking shower, washing my hair . It worked and you have to avoid anthing has perfumes or addatives (go natural), the evening primrose oil Capsules is good as it work on improving the skin condition in General.

#20 ·
I have eczema. It started on my arms and has spread to my fingers and even my face (forehead)
I've noticed that I only get these rashes during the summer time, and when I get the rashes on my fingers I can expect to get one on my face as well.

I was prescribed extra strength antibiotic ointment by my dermatologist many years ago. It successfully relieved the itchiness and even worked with clearing the rash on my forehead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.