Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: natural preservatives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

natural preservatives?

i've had good results with leucidal liquid, and now tinosan, in serums containing water. also eager to try aspen bark extract.

are any of you familiar with any paraben-free natural preservatives suitable for anhydrous products like scrubs? eden?

it's a topic of lively discussion on another forum, and so far it's looking like the only really effective options for anhydrous products do contain parabens.

i'm not making serums to sell, so not too worried, but very curious as to whether you know of any new or emerging alternatives to parabens...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've probably shared this before, but I really like this article. It has some valuable info.

http://www.dweckdata.com/Published_p...eservative.pdf

I like to use essential oils. A preserved formula must be Antibacterial, Antifungal, and Antiviral = Antimicrobial. An antimicrobial is a substance that kills or inhibits the growth of bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

Antimicrobial EOs
    Black pepper, cassia, cinnamon, common sage, hemlock spruce, lavandin, lavender, lemon, lemongrass, peppermint, myrrh, rosemary, rosewood, tea tree

Antibacterial EOs
    Bay, black pepper, chamomile, citronella, clary sage, ginger, grapefruit lemon eucalyptus, lemon, lemongrass, lime, sweet orange, palmarosa, patchouli, rosewood, sweet orange, tea tree

Antifungal EOs
    Atlas cedarwood, bay, citronella, geranium, lemon eucalyptus, lemongrass, myrrh, patchouli, rosemary, sweet orange, tea tree

Antiviral EOs
    Clove bud, eucalyptus, lemon eucalyptus, lime, patchouli, peppermint, tea tree

Jeanne Rose suggests a very powerful antimicrobial essential oil blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make a good point about Hinoki oil and maintaining an air free environment.

Quote: Originally Posted by

Jeanne Rose suggests a very powerful antimicrobial essential oil blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils.

Clove oil, bud, stem or bark? Cinnamon oil, leaf or bark? Which eucalyptus oil? Does she suggest a ratio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoN View Post
    Clove oil, bud, stem or bark? Cinnamon oil, leaf or bark? Which eucalyptus oil? Does she suggest a ratio?
    Clove oil and Eucalyptus radiata.

No, I don't know her formulation of those EOs, but I would imagine it's something like this:

Parts
    2 Clove
    2 Lemon
    2 Cinnamon
    2 Eucalyptus
    1 Rosemary

paillo, care to share the link to the other forum discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edensong View Post
    Clove oil and Eucalyptus radiata.

No, I don't know her formulation of those EOs, but I would imagine it's something like this:

Parts
    2 Clove
    2 Lemon
    2 Cinnamon
    2 Eucalyptus
    1 Rosemary

paillo, care to share the link to the other forum discussion?
    here ya go, actually a couple of them. very interesting.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20055
    http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21089

i would have sworn there was more debate on the first thread, but now i don't see it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, yes, I'm familiar with that forum and the members.

There are different forms of preservation -- some natural and some not. I think we each need to determine what works best through research and testing. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edensong View Post
    Ahhh, yes, I'm familiar with that forum and the members.

There are different forms of preservation -- some natural and some not. I think we each need to determine what works best through research and testing. Nuff said.
    nuf said, i totally understand, eden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and other plant extracts

1. K. A. Hammer1,
    2. C. F. Carson1,
    3. T. V. Riley1,2

Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001

Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and other plant extracts - Hammer - 2001 - Journal of Applied Microbiology - Wiley Online Library

52 oils, 10 organisms...well done.

You both might like this article.

If one were so inclined....they could go through that with a fine tooth comb, and work out the percentages and weights and, inhibition/ die off rates of the various bugs....sell their own essential oil anti All bug thing...ya know what I mean?

It's not rocket science...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really good information. I'm in "copy/paste" heaven. I read this forum and take "notes". My computer may be full soon .

I'm really happy to hear this about EOs being preservatives. I never know what ones to get.
    Last week found a Health Food Store.....not food so much but Ingredient HEAVEN including EOs.
    http://www.skincaretalk.com/images/smilies/confused.gifWrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how long an EO can extend a base cream like:
    Water + Oils + Lecithin
    if stored in a glass jar and applied with a spatula.