Skin Care Talk banner

Green Tea

19K views 128 replies 60 participants last post by  pari.sehgal 
#1 ·
Is anyone here a green tea lover? If so, why?

#3 ·
I love green tea and was drinking several mugs a day for its antioxidant benefits. Then I moved onto white tea, because (they say) it is lower in caffeine and high in antioxidants. And then I moved onto "rooibos" - which is not a tea but an African bush ("red bush"); it is caffeine-free and also a great source of antioxidants; it is also high in vitamins (C, E) and minerals (iron, zinc, potassium, calcium).

Right now I have some blueberry rooibos which is delicious. I was becoming concerned about my caffeine intake because (they say) you have to drink quite alot of these teas to get any real benefits. And in this colder weather, I like to have a mug in my hands to keep them warm!

#5 ·
No - it didn't mean to give that impression. Green tea has some caffeine because it is tea, and white tea has even less. But I was drinking alot because I had read that to get any real benefit from it you need to drink quite a bit of it. I don't remember exactly the recommended amount, I'd have to re-google it, but I was doing maybe 6-8 cups a day. So it was important for me to find an alternative way to get the antioxidant benefits w/o all that caffeine.

#7 ·
Ginger is a nice addition to green tea. You can get the tea already flavored, or add dried ginger to it, or do what I do - get a ginger root from the vegetable section of your grocery store, shave off slivers, and add to your tea while it is steeping. Ginger root is often used as a remedy for sore throats - it has soothing qualities.

#10 ·
I'm not a fan of warm beverages. I can't say that I like any warm drink at all, except for this one drink that my mom makes which is oats, rice, milk, and sugar....MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Oddly enough, I can't drink ice cold protein shakes, taste gross to me.

#19 ·
I asked my mom and it doesn't actually have rice.

I asked her to make me some and this is what I observed.

1. Boil appoximately 2 cups of water.
2. Add a cup of oats (can be as big or at little as you like).
3. Once the stuff is mixed add 1 cup of milk.
4. Boil that stuff together and add 4 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Add ground cinnamon to taste.
6. Keep an eye on it and drink ocne it looks ready.

I know they're vague but my mom's the worst at giving receipies. lol

#28 ·
I asked my mom and it doesn't actually have rice.

I asked her to make me some and this is what I observed.

1. Boil appoximately 2 cups of water.
2. Add a cup of oats (can be as big or at little as you like).
3. Once the stuff is mixed add 1 cup of milk.
4. Boil that stuff together and add 4 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Add ground cinnamon to taste.
6. Keep an eye on it and drink once it looks ready.
Yeah - I knew that cinnamon belonged in here!

#26 ·
thanks guys, I was away to visit my mother, she is suffering from alzeimer and I need to check on her every 2 weeks until I can find her a home close to me. Very stresseful situation, I'm glad I have this forum to vent and shares ideas, you guys are great. thanks

#32 ·
I drink it (green tea) for the anti-oxidants and immune benefits, but it also "alkalinizes" the blood apparently. I'm kinda fuzzy on why we need to do that.
The pH of the blood is normally slightly alkaline and it's hard for it to maintain its proper level due to our diets, stress, and so on. That's why I take apple cider vinegar every day (see the thread on "Diet and Exercise Talk", "What did you eat today", #70).

See this link -

Alkaline Food and Water Supports Optimum Health

The acid-alkaline balance is complicated - but this link gives some helpful info.
HTH

#37 ·
Hi,
Studies show you need Vitamin C ascorbic acid from some citrus fruit to metabolize the EGCG and ECG (the goodies) from
Green Tea. Also hot not boiling water should be used to brew it, as boiling water destroys the EGCG and EGC in the Green Tea!

Enjoy!
I love my Green Tea and drink it every day!

LS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.