Skin Care Talk banner

Diluting acids into lotions/creams

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  OssiaDT 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm really confused about something
I wanted to make a salicylic acid toner and a lactic lotion. Here's a formula I got from garden of wisdom.

The math formula used for this is:

120 grams or 4 oz x 10% (final strength) divided by 88% (strength of acid)
equals 13.8 grams or .46 ounce (these can be rounded to make formulating easier)

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingca...m/f/Lactic.pdf

I have 40% lactic acid and I wanted to make some lactic lotion.I read some threads about lactic lotions, but it doesn't say anything about diluting acids with a lower concentration.

What I want to know is, if I have a lower concentration of the acid would I need to add more? Has anyone made a lotion/cream/toner with a lower strength acid?

Using that formula above, if I wanted to make 12% 100ml lotion, I'd need to add 30ml of the 40%?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Euphoria, you've got it exactly right. To make the 12% lactic lotion with the 40% lactic acid, you'll use 30 ml of lactic acid and 70 ml of lotion. Then test your pH and make sure it's around 3.0 - 3.5.

But now I'm confused. You said you want to make a 10% salicylic toner, but the GOW example uses a 10% lactic toner. Which one will you be making? If it's salicylic, then what percentage is your salicylic solution? Or are you using 100% powder?

Also, you can round up slightly in recipes, but I don't like to with acids. You could either borrow someone's digital ******* scale or you can invest in your own scale.

Electronic Scale/ Pocket Scale

#6 ·
Hello
I've been using both the Paulas choice 2% BHA and 10% AHA body moisturisers but its getting expensive to be purchasing that all the time. And the shipping cost from the states to here is just mad. I always have to wait for someone to be coming from there to here for me make a purchase of the lotions and it also costs about 27 dollars for a tube of 210ml lotion. I'd like to make my own BHA and AHA lotion which is where i need all your advices and help :)

BHA Body lotion (for back area and other areas where id sometimes get breakouts on my body)
The highest percentage of the salicylic acid peel that i have been able to found is 35% from IQ Naturals. How many oz of that would I have to add to a 600 ml bottle of basic body lotion? (Maybe 2 oz of 35% salicylic to the 600 ml of lotion?)

Glycolic + Lactic acid Body Lotion (for whole body from the shoulders down except back)
The highest percentage Ive found for the glycolic acid peel solution is 50% and for the lactic acid 80% also from IQ Naturals. How many oz of each would i have to add to a 600 ml bottle of the basic lotion? (Maybe 1 oz of 50% glycolic + 1 oz of 80% lactic to the 600 ml of lotion?)

I'm horrible at math so i hope someone can help me? Id want to use the BHA and AHA body lotion for daily use at nights after shower before retiring to bed. Id want a mixture that is just as effective if not better than lotions by paulas choice. Thank you.

I live in Indonesia and the lotion i plan to use as a base is from a very reliable local brand. I like using it as a a basic daily moisturiser.
Its called the PLACENTA hand and body lotion. There a few variations, the green tea lotion or vitamin e, etc etc.
Im thinking the ingredients will all be somewhat the same except with a few additions.
Here for example are the ingredients for the one with green tea.
Water, octyl methoxycinnamate, glycerin, glyceryl monostearate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, isopropyl myristate, arbutin, propylene glycol, glycine soja protein, triethanolamine, fragrance, camelia sinensis extract, stearic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, titanium dioxide, cl 19140, cl 42090

My skin isnt sensitive at all, its pretty tough.

Thank you in advance for reading this and i hope someone can help me, it will be greatly appreciated :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.