arbutin is just as bad as hydroquinone.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 Last

Thread: arbutin is just as bad as hydroquinone.

arbutin is just as bad as hydroquinone.

It's not the first time I've seen it written either, but arbutin gets converted in the body into hydroquinone. So as far as longterm skin-health goes, it doesn't look it's going to be a long-term alternative to HQ ladies because it is hydroquinone, almost like a precursor.

I just don't want people to think arbutin is some all natural long-term alternative to HQ because it isn't.

"Although in our model arbutin was shown to be non-cytotoxic and as efficient as MMI in inhibiting melanogenesis, arbutin is a glycoside containing a hydroquinone moiety, and it is not excluded that epidermal cells, due to the presence of glycosidases (Holleran et al, 1992;Redoules et al, 1999), can hydrolyze it to deliver free hydroquinone. Thus, it is possible that long-term use in humans of topical arbutin could lead to deleterious side effects due to the delivery of hydroquinone."

Journal of Investigative Dermatology - Methimazole Is an Inhibitor of Melanin Synthesis in Cultured B16 Melanocytes

"Arbutin is found in the dried leaves of a number of different plant species including bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi). The leaves and leaf extracts from uva ursi are used in non-prescription medicinal products mainly to treat urinary tract infection, cystitis, kidney stones, and as a diuretic. The active component, arbutin, is converted to hydroquinone (HQ) which has antimicrobial, astringent, and disinfectant properties. Arbutin is also an inhibitor of melanin formation and is use in some skin- lightening products. It is rapidly metabolized and excreted in rats as unchanged arbutin and in humans as HQ, HQ glucuronide, and HQ sulfate."

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/files/Arbutin.pdf

I just want us all to lighten SAFELY .. knowledge is power!
    welcome baby blue ivy. future diva Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

"arbutin gets converted in the body into hydroquinone" That's exactly why I never jumed on the Arbutin bandwagon. Everytime I read that my common sense would kick in. Now Kojic acid, THAT'S the way to go LOL

Thanks for the info Kemitia, this is really helpful Your back yaaaay!

Everything is bad for you.

"Natural" products even those from fruit etc can be bad for you, shoo too much Vit A and D can do you some serious damage.

What would be nice is if folk came up with proven ingredients that work on black skin as an alternative, so you can swap around and not be on one thing forever. And someone on here provides before and afters for it too - I think nothing should be used long-term unless its directly life sustaining even vits.

GO HARD OR GO HOMEHidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

WOW very interesting...I NEVER knew!
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life."

Quote Originally Posted by minniefox1 View Post
    "arbutin gets converted in the body into hydroquinone" That's exactly why I never jumed on the Arbutin bandwagon. Everytime I read that my common sense would kick in. Now Kojic acid, THAT'S the way to go LOL

Thanks for the info Kemitia, this is really helpful Your back yaaaay!
    Thanks. Since I've gotten back into SCT and gone back to reading articles, I kept seeing that point more and more, and I see arbutin advertised by companies as a "safe alternative" to hydroquinone.. it might be worse, since our own body is making it not just being applied to the skin.

It sucks, because there's one more ingredient that isn't the best choice. But it's expensive as hell anyway, so it probably wasn't a lost for much people.

Quote Originally Posted by hotblond View Post

What would be nice is if folk came up with proven ingredients that work on black skin as an alternative, so you can swap around and not be on one thing forever. And someone on here provides before and afters for it too - I think nothing should be used long-term unless its directly life sustaining even vits.

I agree.

Wow, now that I think of it, maybe that's why it's limited to 1% generally.. if the percentage is too high maybe it makes too much HQ in the body.

I know that uva ursi (where arbutin comes from) pills are only for short-term use as well.

I got stretch marks from kojic acid....we need many viable alternatives - its a good point that most companies market arbutin as a safer alternative
    GO HARD OR GO HOMEHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hotblond View Post
    I got stretch marks from kojic acid....we need many viable alternatives - its a good point that most companies market arbutin as a safer alternative
    People could still use arbutin because it does work for skin coloring issues, just as people still take uva-ursi for bladder infections. It's just not something to be used long-term.. now that I know that arbutin produces HQ I wonder if it could cause rebounding as well.. in that case maybe it's not worth it at all. So confusing.

there is also alpha arbutin, beta arbutin and deoxy arbutin are these all the same??
    I'm On A Journey To The Lighter Side Of Life Hidden Content
    Beware, Be Careful, Be Safe, Be Light

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements