Skin Care Talk banner

Helping newbies make a start.

765K views 2K replies 401 participants last post by  Toastedalmonds 
#1 ·
Hey welcome to SCT!

There are plenty of threads on here to help you with your questions but we understand it can be quite overwhelming. From what I gather, you have up to 2 months and you want to see some results by then? What I would suggest is not to jump straight to HQ4% because it probably wouldn't even work for you. What you need to do first is understand the basics of skin lightening in order to determine what products are best for you depending on what results you want to achieve.

The basics of skin lightening are:

Exfoliation
Lightening
Moisturising
Skin Building
Protection

Exfoliation: this is always the first step and will always occur whenever you want to lighten, have blemish-free skin, get rid of or prevent wrinkles, etc... You can do this a number of different ways, but this is what I would recommend for you:

• Purchase an exfoliating soap (I would suggest Likas Papaya Soap as it is mild and great for beginners)

• Buy Dead Sea Salt Soap to use in the shower once or twice a week, OR take a weekly 45 min salt bath (half cup of salt+drop of lavender+drop of olive oil)

• Get a Lactic Acid Peel or Glycolic Acid Peel and mix with your favourite lotion (for percentages, check the DIY section or use the search function to find related threads)
Please please be careful and be patient with your skin, over-exfoliation is not pretty and scrubbing your skin to death does not get results quicker. Also please be very careful with the above acids, though they are Alpha Hydroxy Acids and therefore the mildest of peels, they are still acids and burns happen all the time if you don't do your research and use them properly.

Sidenote- you had asked about Retin A? This is mainly used for acne-prone skin but a lot of SCT users use it to help their lighteners penetrate further and to encourage peeling & collagen production. Please note that you should do extensive research on this and maybe even speak to your dermatologist before buying.

Lightening: this is where you would incorporate a product that contains active ingredients that inhibit melanin production. I honestly don't think you should use a lightener until your body is exfoliated as it is kind of like a waste of the lightener (it won't penetrate far enough to be effective when you have all that dead skin in the way). The best way is to incorporate a lightener after 4-6 weeks of solid exfoliation. HOWEVER, if you do choose to use a lightener, I would recommend:

• Nadinola Extra Strength (can be expensive to ship as there are no UK sellers of this)

These are just HQ creams, there are many other lighteners available that do NOT use HQ. Again, you need to be careful when trying out lighteners. Everybody's skin tolerates things differently, so please pay attention to your skin if you choose to use HQ. There are plenty of products out there, and most have been used by SCT members so if you come across anything you haven't heard of, search it's name using the search function, or type in the name of the product + SCT into Google and something is bound to come up. Also, there are threads on all natural lightening which you should maybe have a peek at.

Sidenote- natural serums are great for lightening at any stage in your regimen, so invest in some l-ascorbic acid powder and/or some niacinamide, and make your own serums! These actives are water soluble and are super easy to make.

Moisturising: this is hugely important for healthy skin in general, but particularly for skin that is subject to exfoliation and lightening. This can all be very drying on the skin so you need to make sure you restore the skin's moisture. This can be done by incorporating things like Vitamin E oil, Jojoba oil, Coconut oil, Eucerin lotion, Cocoa Butter, and Shea Butter into your regimen.

Skin Building: this is important for people those who lighten and exfoliate because stripping away layers of the skin can be dangerous and cause skin thinning. You need to research all the ways you can get your collagen production up. Luckily AHAs encourage cell turnover, but to be on the safe side I use things like Emu Oil and St Ives Collagen Elastin Lotion. Some research has shown that creams containing collagen don't work because the collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed by the skin, but I like the St Ives lotion because it moisturises very well for me too.

Protection: this is the most CRUCIAL element of lightening! You could have the most solid effective regimen in the world but if you go out unprotected in the sun, all your progress will go down the toilet. SAP SAP SAP SAP!!!! Have you read this around the forum? It means Sun Avoidance & Protection. Whether its sunny or rainy (and you're from the UK so you know its mostly rainy lol) you have to use a physical sunblock to protect your skin from UVA and UVB damage. Chemical sunscreens are mostly ineffective, and you can read about that on several threads as well as on online articles. The ingredient to look out for is zinc oxide. There are plenty of zinc oxide sunblocks out there, like Devita and Badger.

Initial Regimen Example

OK so now you have an idea of how to lighten and what type of products to buy, I thought I'd share an example of a great way to start your skin care regimen:

Face - Morning
Wash with Likas (leave soap on for 5 mins before washing off)
Apply Vitamin C serum
Moisturise
Sunblock

Face - Evening
Wash with Likas
Apply Niacinamide serum
Apply LA or GA exfoliating lotion (low %) - 3 times a week
Moisturise if need be

Body
Wash with Likas 6 times a week and Dead Sea Salt Soap once a week
Apply serum of choice
Apply LA or GA exfoliating lotion (can be higher %, up to 15%) - 3/4 times a week
Moisturise if need be

Obviously the above regimen is just to give you an idea... you can do less, you can do more (be careful), you can steadily increase your tolerance of different stuff, you can incorporate a lightener.... it's up to you. The thing is, we here at SCT can only talk about what has worked for us and discuss products and ingredients. We can't tell you what will work for you 100% because everyone is different. But I hope the above info has helped even a little bit just so you can understand why we use certain products in certain ways. One thing I will say is using the search funtion (or Google) is a great way to find out answers to any queries you have, and also to see genuine reviews on products rather than marketing

So be careful, listen to your skin, research EVERYTHING, and keep us posted on your progress

Oh and remember.. slow and steady wins the race

See less See more
#1,353 ·
I'm using Amlactin twice a day 5 days a week and once a day on weekends. So far I haven't had problems. My skin is peeling off but it isn't itchy or irritated, it's just revealing nice looking skin underneath.
I think I'm fine because 12% seems like a low enough concentration to be okay to use twice; and my skin isn't usually sensitive.

My other products could also play a role. I apply shea butter lotion/oils for moisture. Also I am very dilligent with sun avoidance and protection (reapplying Sunblock, upf clothing, taking heliocare on really sunny days)

So I think you'll be fine unless you over exfoliate by using a higher percentage lotion twice a day and/or don't makeup for the photosensitivity side effect

#1,362 ·
@moon maiden

i definitely will! A week from now I'll give a *real* update; but right now from the exfoliating, vitamins, and better sap (Physical sunblock, heliocare, upf clothing) i can already say;

1. My outer arms are finally getting close to the color of my inner arms
2. My already clear/vibrant complexion already has a better glow. Even my coworkers noticed
3. My legs are still the darkest part of me. I expect that to change when I add the GA peels
4. My face, ears, and décolletage have lightened and my decolletage, thighs and back are peeling
5. Before I knew about this forum, I bought a cream at the BSS a town over for me. It lightened me great but f*cked me up later. I assumed I had a bad reaction (red marks, stretchmarks, dark spots itchy red acne on legs and back) and assumed i was later allergic and it scared me away from lightening. (Later learnef it had hidden steroids. Back then I didn't even know steroids could be used for lightening the skin!) It has nearly removed all the stubborn spots it left as reminder

I am getting so much better and perfect all over! It makes me even more excited for what I'll look like once I start lightening/bleaching! I wish I knew about all of this years ago! :)

#1,365 ·
@moon maiden

i definitely will! A week from now I'll give a *real* update; but right now from the exfoliating, vitamins, and better sap (Physical sunblock, heliocare, upf clothing) i can already say;

1. My outer arms are finally getting close to the color of my inner arms
2. My already clear/vibrant complexion already has a better glow. Even my coworkers noticed
3. My legs are still the darkest part of me. I expect that to change when I add the GA peels
4. My face, ears, and décolletage have lightened and my decolletage, thighs and back are peeling
5. Before I knew about this forum, I bought a cream at the BSS a town over for me. It lightened me great but f*cked me up later. I assumed I had a bad reaction (red marks, stretchmarks, dark spots itchy red acne on legs and back) and assumed i was later allergic and it scared me away from lightening. (Later learnef it had hidden steroids. Back then I didn't even know steroids could be used for lightening the skin!) It has nearly removed all the stubborn spots it left as reminder

I am getting so much better and perfect all over! It makes me even more excited for what I'll look like once I start lightening/bleaching! I wish I knew about all of this years ago! :)
Yay so happy for you! You are making great progress SCT has saved us all from something lol!

#1,363 ·
I am new

So I have been researching this serum from glowingoil.com before placing an order. I am Nigerian, before relocating to the UK my skin used to be flawless af? regardless of the baking sun?. Less than a year of living in the London my skin was like crazily discoloured, went to my GP and was referred to a private cosmetic place in High Barnet where skin dermabration was performed on my face & neck. Surprise surprise ??? my skin got worst and was told basically because I am African the hard water in the UK isn't too good for my skin n that I am not the only person with such ish blahblahblah fast forward to 2015 after my daughter things went down hill, again i was told I am suffering from hyperpig. Long story short. Has anyone used this serum for all over body? And if yes how many bottles did u get as I am thinking of getting 2 as a try and see basis. Also did u see any significant results. Chatted with one of their customer assistance who seemed to be really friendly and quick to respond to my questions but I still need testimony of anyone who's used it and not just stuff on the site cause so many companies do that but when u get their product it is basically sh!t?.

PS: I am a newbie on site?everyone?

#1,377 ·
Hello @gymrat & @moon.maiden Please I need help. I started using dodo osun on my face and body and it caused me this wierd discoloration on my face. I do not know what to know. I have been using the dodo osun for a week and a half now and it started causing me some discoloration on my face little by little and I taught It was just cleaning my face lol but this is not cute at all. Not to talk about my neck that is so so dark. :( Please help.
Face Skin Chin Neck Head
Skin Undergarment Chest Chin Arm

#1,378 ·
Hello @gymrat & @moon.maiden Please I need help. I started using dodo osun on my face and body and it caused me this wierd discoloration on my face. I do not know what to know. I have been using the dodo osun for a week and a half now and it started causing me some discoloration on my face little by little and I taught It was just cleaning my face lol but this is not cute at all. Not to talk about my neck that is so so dark. :( Please help.
View attachment 45161 View attachment 45169
Hey hun it seems to be too harsh on your face. If you are using dodo osun three days a week on your face is fine then alternate with another product another method is to apply an oil of your choice on your face before washing it with dodo osun. If you have to use black soap on your face I recommend Alaffia black soap it is liquid and a lot milder I use it on my face, body and hair. For now do weekly La peels 35%- 40% to help with the discoloration and do weekly turmeric mask facial trust me it will help with the discoloration.
Receipe: turmeric powder ( get at your local grocery store or South Asian owned store.)
Add milk or organic yogurt with some lemon or lime juice, honey and some flour not necessary and a little oil of your choice do this three days a week.
Use a salicylic acid based facial toner like Burts and bees clarifying toner, neutrogena astringent toner, biore facial toner astringent. Those may be a little drying you can just use thayers, or simple brand neutrogena these not have SA but are milder than the aforementioned.
You can also use amlactin pea size on your face, reviva labs 5% or 10% glycolic acid cream, three days a week.
What lighteners do you use on your face if at all?

#1,386 ·
Well I'm not trying to bash him or what he got going on or anything but he just doesn't make sense to me. One thing I noticed after I joined SCT that he just tell you what to do rather than explain why and . plus he's friends with Dencia so I don't trust his products I do give him credit because his skin does look good and he does come off as nice but still its a buisness. I don't think he got his lightness from Whitenecious as he said. I think he used something else because on one video he looked like a corpse and his color was literally stripped away. A lot of people was going in on him lol that's the video when he had a white robe on Remember Fraink and Dencia are very good friends so I believe it was a marketing ploy to just promote her shady products to convince people that it works. honestly I would stick with the products that are mentioned on here.

#1,383 ·
I just wanted to do a quick update on my lightening journey so as to also get your inputs. So I have bought pretty much everything I need for the exfoliating stage, and I have been quite consistent for the past 2 weeks, however, I don't seem to have noticed anything different about my skin so far. I bought 2 bars of Likas Papaya soaps on eBay and Have already finished one bar. The soap bit me only on the very first day; subsequent days of using the soap, nothing - no biting, no nothing. Just as if I am using a normal bathing soap. Same thing goes for the Amlactin I got on eBay. On the Amlactin lotion bottle, it reads: "moisturizing body lotion...apply 2 times daily..." So I would like to know, is there any way to know whether or not I bought the original products?

Another question is, how long does the exfoliation stage normally lasts? Is there gonna be any visible indication on your skin to show that you are really exfoliating?

There was also not a mention of how we are to incorporate the Skin renewing collagen & elastin cream into our regimen. When does one begin using the cream?

Lastly, the sunscreen I use (Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen SPF 50) leaves my face looking like a body being prepared for the mortuary. My face looks white and the hairs on my face also often trap the sunscreen, thereby making me look whiter like a ghost. Is that how all sunscreen work?

I have asked pretty much a lot. Let me stop here and hope to receive some answers to the questions already asked. Thanks.

#1,384 ·
Use a little lotion or oil with your sunscreen that will get rid of the white caste. Use skin renewing collagen cream when you skin build, If you don't trust eBay get both soap and amlactin from amazon or you can buy amlactin directly from the manufacturer on their website. Your skin looks brighter and sometimes even that's how you know you are well exfoliated you have to exfoliate throughout your entire journey but 4-8 weeks before introducing a lightener into your regime.

#1,388 · (Edited)
OK...So I want to use a carrot based skincare...which one do you guys suggest??? Im probably like two-three shades darker then my avi but everytime I take pics I look very glowy and golden:heart::heart:

****I was looking at the carotein line but it seems like everyone's out of stock:(:mad: Then I was thinking of getting the QEI+ carrot serum and I was also looking at the carrot lotion but saw some horror stories on youtube:shocked:so now I don't want the lotion...lol Are there any good carrot lotions for the body?

:help:
Would mixing the QEI+ carrot serum with G&G (pink jar) be a good idea to reach my goal?
I also forgot to mention that I use lactic lotion daily

:thankyou:

#1,400 ·
Hullo
I have been exfoliating and Am remaining with just 2 weeks to start my skin lightening but the problem my arms and feet and hands are still darker than my body....
And I plan on using vitamin c serum, toner,retin a, and carotein gel for face
Then Qei lotion mixed with its serum plus Ikb serum and carotein gel all this is one jar for my body
So am asking which days do I lighten ,exfoliate and skin build ????
Lastly do I also have to take a break after 4-6months to avoid being immune?????

#1,401 ·
If qe1 is HQ which I don't think it is then you need to take a break if no HQ no break necessary. Exfoliate and lighten at the same time and lighten twice a day, for five days then skinbuild for two. Add an LA lotion to your regime your dark areas will lighten will lightening products over time.

#1,406 ·
Hi I'm new here I'm looking for some products that I can lighten my skin a little and even out my skin tone. I need products I can find at the Beauty supply store but only those with HQ or any other lightening ingredients except mercury and steroids. I need like a whole line and something that is safe for my face any suggestions? Thanks in advance

#1,407 ·
Is there any alternative to g&g lightening cream ?.. because in my country (UAE) , it is not available . I am exfoliating , started with maxypeel for 5 days and now using amlactin daily , zinc sunblock I have .I have ordered vitamin C serum , I am not sure why I need it but I think it is for healthy skin . I have kojic acid soap for reducing melanin production . Now I need a lightening product with HQ to start and after 2,3 months I will avoid HQ and continue with KA. So for the first 2,3 months of lightening I planned to use g&g lightening cream with RA serum but I failed to find it in my country . Can anyone suggest any alternative to g&g ? Also suggest me any good brand RA serum. I am looking for a white color not red . Also suggest me if you think I have to modify my regimen .

#1,408 ·
Ok guys my goal is lightening about 3 shades . I purchased Amalactin and have been using it for over 2 weeks and with no peeling. I also but 80% lactic acid, I wanna know if I should add some extra acid to Amalactin to makes me peel. My routine goes like this K.A soap twice a day for 5 days, LA lotion at night 5days (wait 20mins) then lightening mix but I still haven't seen any changes. I already did my exfoliating before this regime with scrubbing gloves and KA soap. My face is a whole other story with acne and open pores and oily skin I alternate between salicylic and glycolic acid face wash and daily st. Ives brightening scrub followed by a tea tree and hazel toner and then my lightening mix with carotein and sure white gel and serum mix. PLEASE someone help me. I always post but never get answered I feel lost. I haven't gotten any lighter and I don't peel.

#1,412 ·
Sometimes posts do get overlooked. so far you're doing great with your regimen . you can add la to your amlactin, I wouldnt know how much to add to make you peel bc people skin respond differently than others. Add 3 teaspoons for 15% but don't go higher than that until you can build tolerance . Check the pH. it need to be below or at 3 for peeling at least. Get dead Sea salt soap I highly recommend this because it breaks down all that dead skin. pl
What's in that lightening mix btw. and or you using zinc SS? and how long you been lightning?

#1,410 · (Edited)
Which are the ones I should search for ?..
Carrowhite cream with carrot oil which comes in a single jar , carowhite lotion and oil are available . Nadinola skin bleach extra strength , nadinola bleach normal , nadinola deluxe skin discoloration fade cream are available .Sure white lightening serum for hyper pigmentation ,2.5% retinol serum, caroteine gel( costly ) also available .

#1,414 ·
@moonmaiden
Hello, I've recently joined this group and I have been reading a lot ( but still haven't gotten my answers) and I find that you are very knowledgable about this subject. Please bare with me because about to ask a series of questions that I hope u can help me with.
1. Am I suppose to occlude after putting Amlactin layered (20 mins interval) with lighten mix for faster results?
2. I want to do a la peel for the first time, can I start at 40%? I have been using Amlactin for weeks now (face and body) with no peeling.
3. After a peel can I use my lightening mix? If not how long after can I start using it and what do I use in the mean time? This question is also for my facial scrubs and kojic soap.
4. Lastly I fine that I am not getting any lighter. I exfoliated weeks prior(kojie san and exfoliating gloves) to starting my lightening regime with Amlactin and Carotein, Surewhite lightening mix. Can you recommend me anything else please?
Sorry to be a bother, could you help me. TIA.

#1,423 ·
@moon maiden can you please advise on what creams to get as a beginner. Been using glowing oil for the past 2weeks and havent really seen any significant change even though i have been doing all i am supposed to, seems like i am even getting darker than my normal shade ???? pls helppppppppp