Skin Care Talk banner

Fillers and fainting?

18K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Shasta 
#1 ·
Anyone faint when they get fillers done? I had restalyne done for lip lines about 5 years ago and other than hurting like heck, I was fine.

Just today had Radiesse injected into my cheeks. Got halfway done and fainted flat out. I'm not a fainter, have only done it twice and both were over 25 years ago. I wasn't scared to have this done or nervous. I was really looking forward to the results. Nor do I have an unnatural fear of needles.

Do other people experience this? What do you do?

I'm really bummed...and embarassed...

See less See more
#2 ·
Dont be bummed or embarassed Shasta. I am sure you aren't the first person this happened too-

I didn't know fillers had been around 25 years........you learn something new everyday!!

Well, besides fainting, how did the results turn out??

#3 ·
I didn't know fillers had been around 25 years........you learn something new everyday!!

Well, besides fainting, how did the results turn out??
Thanks Gymmie, appreciate the input. The office was really good about it, said that it happens sometimes, though my injector said it had only happened once to one of her patients.

Just to clarify... I don't think fillers have been around 25 years, that's just how long it has been since I last fainted.

Can't totally tell on the results yet. I was planning to have a syringe injected in each cheek, only made it long enough for half a syringe in one cheek. Thankfully, it was the cheek that needed it more, so I don't look lopsided, even though I got nothing in the other one. With the way i was feeling, i knew i'd go out again if they tried to do the other one. Even now, 3+ hours later i still feel queasy. They had mixed out two syringes, but it was nice they didn't charge me for the second one.

#4 ·
Oh sorry that happened to yu Shasta but I hope that you like the result.

Sometimes a vasovagal reaction happens even in someone who is not particularly nervous about the procedure. The body just shuts down for a second in response to a stressor. It usually means nothing but I would have my medical doctor check me over just to be sure.

"Vasovagal syncope (vay-zo-VAY-gul SING-cuh-pee) is the most common cause of fainting. Vasovagal syncope occurs when your body overreacts to triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. The trigger results in vasovagal syncope — a brief loss of consciousness caused by a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure, which reduces blood flow to your brain."

Vasovagal syncope - MayoClinic.com

#5 ·
I think I may have figured out what happened. The Radiesse was mixed with lidocaine and epinedrine. They asked if I was allergic and I replied "no".

However, after some research, i see that epinedrine can cause exactly the symptoms I experienced: fainting, thirstiness, vomiting, confusion and weakness for several hours. My blood pressure is on the low end of normal anyway, and epinedrine increases your heart rate which further lowers your blood pressure eventually causing you to faint.

Guess I learned something today...the hard way

#7 ·
Shasta, my DH has low blood pressure. He faints at odd times. He has gone to the Dr numerous times has had all sorts of testing done and the bottom line has always been.........due to low blood pressure. He is supposed to take medication, but doesn't like the way it makes him feel......
it is similar to a antihistamine.

So you fainting due to low blood pressure, makes perfect sense to me!! I hope you are feeling better now though. Were you able to drive yourself home??

#6 ·
It may have been inadvertently injected into a small blood vessel. Next time I would say "no epi/no lido". I had EMLA for an hour on my lips before a filler was injected. It still hurt like HELL but I didnt risk the reaction you described.

Hope you feel better soon!

#8 ·
^^^ I hung out at the Drs office for about an hour before I felt up to driving home. I'm feeling almost normal now.

Now that I suspect it was the epinephrine effect, I'm going to have to decide if I'm up to going back and trying again and having them leave out the epinephrine. I don't think she got enough in to make much of a difference... I see a little effect, but I'm sure some of it is swelling.

#13 ·
Conscious sedation is a wonderful thing!!! I've had that with all my back procedures, except the one major issue, then I was given General.
You come back really quickly from CS too so no long after effects.

Fawnie, you are a wealth of information and ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.