Skin Care Talk banner

Does Soy really mimic estrogen?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  fawnie 
#1 ·
I think I'm going to start taking in more Soy containing foods. Something called phytoestrogens can mimic estrogen and help possible breast growth is something I heard. But I'm not sure if this is a myth or if there is enough evidence. Do you know anymore information on this?

#3 ·
Such as flaxseed and soy milk? Something called phytoestrogens can mimic estrogen and help possible breast growth.
"Soy is a natural alternative to a fertility drug that helps you ovulate or have a better ovulation due to low estrogen."
So I think yes, soy helps mimic estrogen if you don't have enough.
I'm 19 years old, so I don't have menopause. But what are some good pills/vitamins that I can take for my age. I could probably take menopause pills also since they contain estrogen, but what kind? I don't know any brand names.

#4 ·
I don't know the specific details about this but soy can also mess with your thyroid gland, which of course regulates many, many things in the body. I think soy is good for you but in moderation, as there are some other effects that it may produce that may be unwanted.

#6 ·
Soy products contain glutamates which are excitotoxins to the glutamate receptors in the nervous system, GI tract, endocrine system and heart. If you have a medical condition (known or as of yet unknown) glutamates can unleash a hyperexcited state. "The worst of the things they're doing are the soy extracts. Soybeans, naturally, have one of the highest glutamate levels of any of the plant products. When you hydrolyze it, you release the glutamate, and the soy protein isolates. The glutamate levels are higher than a lot of what you'll find in MSG products, yet the vegetarians are just eating it like it's the healthiest thing in the world. There was a 25-year study done, which looked at people who consumed the most soy products, and they followed them for 25 years and did serial CT scans. They found out that the people who consumed the most soybean products had the greatest incidence of dementia and brain atrophy." Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html#ixzz1qwEXPNSJ Hydrolyzed soy protein masquerades in processed foods under many aliases, such as "natural flavoring". If you have migraines or other medical conditions, you might want to eliminate soy and the other products mentioned. “As of 2004, 85 percent of the U.S. soy crop was genetically modified, accounting for some 63.6 million acres of soybeans. Statistics for 2003 indicate that at least 55 percent of soy worldwide is now genetically modified.” http://gentleworld.org/as-we-soy-so-shall-we-reap/ "Women have been encouraged to use high genistein soy products to alleviate symptoms of menopause and as a guard against bone loss and breast cancer. But given the full range of effects of genistein in the body, high consumption could result in age-related memory loss. Commercial soybean products offer genistein levels as high as 20 to 60 mg per serving. Asians are presented as an example of the benefits of eating soybean products because their incidence of breast cancer and osteoporosis is low. However, the Asian diet of fermented soybean products such as miso and tempeh includes only around 5 mg of genistein a day. Genistein slows the growth of blood vessels to tumors, another action that makes it popular as a cancer fighter. However, it has the same effect on blood vessels serving normal cells. Eating a regular diet high in genistein could result in the starvation of healthy blood vessels, resulting in a reduced supply of oxygen to cells, setting up a cancer promoting situation. In a graphic example of how genistein slows cellular energy, a study found that eating high levels of it slowed hair growth by 60 to 80 percent" Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/025513.html#ixzz1qwILOxem "Dr. John Lee, author of several books on the health of women, recommended that women wishing to consume soy production eat only miso, tempeh, natto. Tofu can also be eaten provided it is accompanied by fish or some other protein source and some seaweed or kelp to replenish bound minerals. Eating small amounts of these foods will provide the cancer protective effects of genistein without causing the other potential problems of genistein. Dr. Lee recommended avoiding genistein and isoflavone supplements, and soy protein isolates.' Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/025513.html#ixzz1qwIndy3C Its not as simple as eating a TofuPup and calling it healthy.

#7 ·
...and the reduction in estrogen leads to bone loss, collagen loss and a whole other host of unpleasant delights.

No singular answer. However, I look at Asian women and they are generally in far better "condition" with regards to skin as compared to Caucasians of the same age group.

Drops in estrogen leads to higher levels of iron in the blood...and that takes on another host of problems.

Women are rubbing estradiol on their faces....and seems to be quite effective or use HRT. Genistein and the soy isoflavones are not what one would call the most readily bio available to begin with.

Genistein protects against UVB-induced senescence-like characteristics in human dermal fibroblast by p66Shc down-regulation

Accepted 10 February 2010
Keywords:
Genistein
Photoaging
UVB
p66Shc
FKHRL1
A B S T R A C T
Background: Genistein, as an active compound of dietary antioxidants, has shown considerable promise as an effective agent against aging process. However, the effect of genistein on skin photoaging and the associated mechanism remain unclear. Objective: To delineate the effect of genistein on UVB-induced senescence in human dermal fibroblasts (HDFs) with emphasis on themechanismof oxidative pathway regulated by p66Shc involved in the events.
Methods: HDFs were induced to premature senescence by repetitive subcytotoxic doses of UVB
irradiation. Cellular apoptosis and DNA cell cycle were analyzed using flow cytometry. Intracellular levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and malondialdehyde (MDA) were detected by ELISA. Mutation levels of two large deletions of mitochondrial DNA, 4977 bp and 3895 bp deletion, were determined by quantitative PCR. Western blot was applied to detect the expression and activation of p66Shc (the 66- kilodalton isoform of the growth factor adapter Shc) and FKHRL1 (a forkhead protein that is intimately linked with intracellular oxidation).
Results: Strong activity of senescence-associated beta-galactosidase (SA-b-gal), high percent of cell apoptosis as well as cell cycle arrest in G0/G1 phase, and increased intracellular oxidative stress were observed in HDFs irradiated by UVB. Genistein exerted dramatically protective effects on HDFs in a dosedependent manner. Elevated copy numbers of large deletions in mitochondrial DNA were also inhibited by genistein. Down-regulation of total and phosphorylated p66Shc on Ser36, as well as FKHRL1 and its phosphorylation on Thr32, were observed after genistein treatment.
Conclusion: The results indicate that genistein protects UVB-induced senescence-like characteristics in HDFs via maintenance of antioxidant enzyme activities and modulation of mitochondrial oxidative stress through down-regulation of a p66Shc-dependent signaling pathway, whichmay provide potential prevention against skin aging and even photoaging.
 2010 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology.
Effects of the isoflavone 4′,5,7-trihydroxyisoflavone (genistein) on psoralen plus ultraviolet A radiation (PUVA)-induced photodamage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.