Buying HA (hyaluronic acid) and about to have an aneurysm...please help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Buying HA (hyaluronic acid) and about to have an aneurysm...please help!

Buying HA (hyaluronic acid) and about to have an aneurysm...please help!

Hi all. I have been wanting to purchase HA for some time, but each time I read a new post here or find new info from a seller it raises more questions than it answers. They all say it holds 1000 times it weight in water, which is straight forward, but then I read this on Sharon Marie Skincare site:

WHY OUR HYALURONIC ACID?

Hyaluronic Acid serum can be divided into low and high molecular weight molecules.

Our low molecular weight HA is the preferred choice.

Both low and high molecular HA have the ability of holding and binding
    moisture in the skin, but only our low HA increases important and needed enzymes.

The low molecular weight serum requires an extra production step compared to
    the high (normal) hyaluronic acid serum.

Then Garden of Wisdom had about 34 different versions to chose from http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/ha_acids.html

Then yet another one had preservatives that I wasn't sure about..... and well, you get the picture.

I'm just not sure WHAT to buy so I'm frozen

"Beauty starts on the inside. If your ugly inside no amount of cream will cover it up."

2. Advertisements

just get some hyaluronic acid powder and make your own 1% HA Serum - 1 part hyaluronic powder to 99 parts water, shake and refrigerate - too easy and very inexpensive. i got mine from http://www.purebulk.com. it's $17.25 for 10 grams - will last a VERY long time...... i have no affiliation with purebulk, just cheap and fast shipping and the product was perfectly fine, however, it is not low molecular weight. i love HA serum on my skin - feels so good! if you want low weight, check with http://www.seaessentialactives.com - i don't suppose it hurts to have both, but be aware, it does last an extremely long time....

hth
    "Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
    Arthur Schopenhauer, German Philosopher

What do you want to use a hyaluronic acid serum for? AFAIK the higher molecular weight stuff does not cross the skin barrier, the lower MW can but does not have any proven anti-ageing benefits and does not absorb as much water. Why not e-mail Sharon Marie Skincare and ask them for links to published research which backs up their assertions on enzymes? Agree with Nani that it is supremely easy and cheap to make your own HA serum, then you can add your own choice of preservative.

"In the year of our Lord 1903, in the meat packing plants off the shores of the sea, Stood a young man at his slaughter post a newby by his side, He said grind it up and ship it out doesn't matter what's inside, With poison bread to kill the rats, an effective tool of trade ..." Flatfoot 56

I agree with FIrefox, I've not seen anything about HA like what Sharon Marie site is saying. Remember, they are selling product. I do use GOWs HA products, depending on what my skin is needing. They would be easy enough to DIY.
    Theresa - 47 years beautiful

Wonderful point about 'selling products.'

Sorry for the long response. I think there's something wrong with my notification setting. I have it set to notify: Immediately, but I NEVER get a notification and unless I go to my home page and see what topics I've posted to I sometimes forget I did

I spend way too much time on this computer. I find if I have too many questions or doubts I just don't buy anything.

Firefox, during the winter my skin tends to be on the dry side (and using RA makes it look even drier when I'm peeling!) I was hoping the HA would hold in some moisture and make my skin look somewhat plumper. I'm also having trouble finding an affordable moisturizer that doesn't contain a lot of chemicals I can't pronounce, so I'm just using extra extra virgin olive oil at the moment, and shea butter under my eyes.

I broke down and bought Sharon Marie Claire's HA and something called Squalene. What the heck

"Beauty starts on the inside. If your ugly inside no amount of cream will cover it up."

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies2fly View Post
    Sorry for the long response. I think there's something wrong with my notification setting. I have it set to notify: Immediately, but I NEVER get a notification and unless I go to my home page and see what topics I've posted to I sometimes forget I did* I spend way too much time on this computer. I find if I have too many questions or doubts I just don't buy anything. Firefox, during the winter my skin tends to be on the dry side (and using RA makes it look even drier when I'm peeling!) I was hoping the HA would hold in some moisture and make my skin look somewhat plumper. I'm also having trouble finding an affordable moisturizer that doesn't contain a lot of chemicals I can't pronounce, so I'm just using extra extra virgin olive oil at the moment, and shea butter under my eyes. I broke down and bought Sharon Marie Claire's HA and something called Squalene. What the heck
    I love most of GOW products, so with that, I truly believe you can't go wrong with a choice of any of their HA serums. As for myself, I make my own HA serum, keep a base of 1% in the fridge, take out what I need and add whatever ingredients I need to it. It is really simple to make. Only requires HA powder, and distilled water, and you have your base HA serum-
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

HA will certainly help hold water on the surface of the skin but is not ideal for use in dry climates or cooler temperatures (air is dryer) because it can draw water from the skin. If you want a humectant that will penetrate and help hold water in the skin try a product containing 5% urea - used in many pharmacy dermatitis products. My skin loves aloe vera - has proven hydrating, healing, collagen inducing and anti-inflammatory properties! You generally need to combine a humectant with a lipid tho, my current favourite is Weleda baby calendula face cream for the lanolin content (very rich so mix this with AV). Lanolin is a source of saturated fatty acids and cholesterol which help replenish the skin barrier and is superb for weather protection.

Did you purchase marine squalEne or olive squalAne? Squalene is comedogenic and breaks down to an irritant chemical, squalane does neither. Unrefined shea is excellent for irritated skin due to compounds in the healing fraction and the high proportion of stearic acid, one of the key lipids in the stratus corneum. Many rave about shea-aloe butter which is an easy DIY. Olive oil is rich in oleic acid which our skin has no use for topically and research suggests may even have irritant properties.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies2fly View Post
    I broke down and bought Sharon Marie Claire's HA and something called Squalene. What the heck

"In the year of our Lord 1903, in the meat packing plants off the shores of the sea, Stood a young man at his slaughter post a newby by his side, He said grind it up and ship it out doesn't matter what's inside, With poison bread to kill the rats, an effective tool of trade ..." Flatfoot 56

Really easy recipes at: http://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/2011/06/diy-hyaluronic-acid-stock-serum-tutorial.html ("stock" 1% HA)

and http://www.skinacea.com/diy/diy-recipes.html#B5 (SkinCeuticals B5 serum knock, also has HA)

I've used both w/ HA SLMW, and they're both easy to make. My source is http://www.lotioncrafter.com/hyaluronic-acid-slmw.html.
    Still thinking about a new regimen ...

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    As for myself, I make my own HA serum, keep a base of 1% in the fridge, take out what I need and add whatever ingredients I need to it. It is really simple to make. Only requires HA powder, and distilled water, and you have your base HA serum-
    But one of the posts someone said their ha powder wouldn't fully dissolve, or something like that. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Firefox ~ WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????? I felt like I was reading a paper from a scientific review journal. LOL I understood about a tenth of what you said. That's the problem with reading ~ everyone says something different I read olive oil IS good for the skin. grrrrrrrr Seriously, my brain just locks up and refuses to make a decision after a while.

p.s. It was olive squalane.

12. Advertisements