Skin Care Talk banner

Bleaching undereye circles

86K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  krissie 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to the forums.

Ever since middle school around the 7th grade I have had a little problem with dark circles, but they started worsening after I started High School. Now at the age of 25 and after 2 kids they are even darker! Before I didn't mind them and learned to embrace them, but my significant other started pointing them out when we first me, I still didn't care much, but now I'm finally starting to and wanting to get back my "childhood days" skin before I started the 7th grade, which is around the time I started menstruating by the way. I'm not sure if it's a lack of iron, since I always suffered from anemia, but I want to do something. I started taking iron supplements, but don't see much of a difference and I also have sleeping problems, but I'm starting to tackle that by taking Melatonin and it's starting to help immensely.

4 days ago I started bleaching the skin under my eyes. I have read on this dark circles website that 3-4% Hydroquinone which is what my cream has will help lighten them. I know a lot of people say it's bad and it's not recommended, but I'm actually looking for people who have tried it and had results. Also, if you can post some before and after photos that would be awesome. Thank you

#2 ·
AFAIK hydroquinone will not bleach out dark circles, unless you have been diagnosed with a form of melasma/ chloasma? HQ works on hyperpigmentation whereas dark circles are generally caused by blood vessels close the surface and issues with circulation. Sleeping and iron intake are only a small part of a healthy lifestyle: do you consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating and physical activity?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have also read about this and I havent't been diagnosed with any of that, but still decided to give it a try since I didn't have these circles as a child, thought it may be hyperpigmentation. I don't exercise, but will start soon (today actually, bought a gym membership). I will continue testing out the hydroquinone for a month and a half or so to see if I get any results. Thanks for the reply

#5 ·
You don't need formal exercise, just get your 10,000 steps every day to improve lymphatic drainage. By all means join the gym as well for fitness and weight management, but be sure that is alongside daily physical activity and a clean, balanced diet because exercising increases your body's requirements for every nutrient.

Hydroquinone is a prescription only medication here in the UK because it has some unpleasant side effects. It really is not a substance to just try out for a few weeks without a proper diagnosis and medical supervision, you could very well end up worse off than when you started. Please ensure you are using a high quality zinc oxide sunscreen.

I don't exercise, but will start soon (today actually, bought a gym membership). I will continue testing out the hydroquinone for a month and a half or so to see if I get any results. Thanks for the reply

#6 ·
I exercise 4 times a week, at least, and I'm a server so I'm constantly running around at work for 4-7 hours on end, and I STILL have what I believe to be darker circles than normal under my eyes. I've always HATED this about myself...I'd give anything to be able to lighten them up! Concealer helps a little but really, it just wears off. Argh.

#7 ·
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I will consider all your suggestions if all else fails. I have noticed some of my undereye skin lightening faster than other parts! And I definitely see some difference in color changing. What scares me is that a little patch (inner eye part) are getting lighter faster than the outer parts of the circles, weird? but it's working! I started applying with a q-tip as to avoid "coloring outside the lines", so when it becomes more noticeable I will definitely avoid the lighter patches.

Tiffany, I bet not anything like mine. I might post pictures of them soon, plus I'm tanned. I look Indian, but I'm Latina..that's how bad my circles are.

#8 ·
If you want to go a natural route id suggest trying helichrysum essential oil mixed with Rose hip seed oil and evening primrose oil. Just apply it under your eyes 2-3 times a day. Not only is it great for your skin but I've read in quite a few places that it is good for dark under eye circles. It is well worth a try.

#10 ·
Hey! Thanks for the new suggestions and posts, I will definitely keep these in mind and I'm so glad there are many of you here to help :).

Well, it's been 2 weeks since I started bleaching the circles and I used a toner twice in 2 weeks or 1 week and a half (not too sure). Today when looking in the mirror I noticed that almost "half" of the circles (starting from the outside of my right eye) is missing. I was shocked..I showed my significant other to see if he noticed the same thing I did or if I was just seeing things and he also sees it.

I am shocked and in disbelief. Will keep you guys updated.

#13 ·
Hey ZombieChick, I personally wouldn't want to use the bleach/cream at all. It's extremely strong
and can cause skin damage if you aren't careful with it. I've always been big on natural skin treatments.
Make it at home kind of things.

Other people already posted some ideas, but I'll give you my own:
In addition to taking vitamin K and vitamin A (you can find supplements/fruits)
Try getting some lemon, juicing it in your cleanser, and then gently rubbing
it over your dark patches. Be careful to avoid your eyes, of course, it will sting if you
get any of the mixture in. Try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.

Hope that helps!

#14 ·
Thanks for the tips! They are getting extremely light, but my right eye is getting lighter faster than the left, yikes! I do want to do it 'naturally', but wasn't sure if that would work with my circles since they are so deep and dark. I will try the lemon and vitamins (which I take, a bunch of them actually, lol).

Hey ZombieChick, I personally wouldn't want to use the bleach/cream at all. It's extremely strong
and can cause skin damage if you aren't careful with it. I've always been big on natural skin treatments.
Make it at home kind of things.

Other people already posted some ideas, but I'll give you my own:
In addition to taking vitamin K and vitamin A (you can find supplements/fruits)
Try getting some lemon, juicing it in your cleanser, and then gently rubbing
it over your dark patches. Be careful to avoid your eyes, of course, it will sting if you
get any of the mixture in. Try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.

Hope that helps!

#17 ·
Here is a small update.

I don't know if you can tell by the photo but my right eye is still lighter than the left eye. I was applying bleach under the right eye but now I stopped completely and I'm just going to keep applying to the left side until it catches up with the right. I don't know if you can tell much let me know if you can see what I'm talking about.

Left being your right and I just put Nadinola before I snapped this picture that's why my circles look greasy.

#20 ·
I have had dark eye circles as far back as high school and I have seen several dermatologists over the years and even a plastic surgeon and they all told me that it is due to the skin being thin and the blood vessels showing through, and they all said that there is not much that can be done except for maybe some laser, but that it comes with some potential risks that could outweigh the benefits. Maybe one day there will be a permanent fix for them,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.