Aging upper arms - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Aging upper arms

Gymrat, no ... no sundamage or age spots ... not even wrinkles ... just skin that looks flabby and like it has cellulite on it. I have not done ANYTHING with the skin on my chest, arms, stomach or legs, so I thought, maybe if I tried Vit. C, Ret. A, TCA peels there it would help. For the most part, my skin (face, neck, chest, even lower arms) is in much better condition than that of other people my age (51), so I think it took me by surprise. I have cellulite on the backs of my thighs and butt, and I've done about all I can think of (exercise and dry brushing) to help that. I do exercise, but apparently not enough. I plan to try to resistance training you suggested and stepping up the Pilates in that area, as well.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    Gymrat, no ... no sundamage or age spots ... not even wrinkles ... just skin that looks flabby and like it has cellulite on it.* I have not done ANYTHING with the skin on my chest, arms, stomach or legs, so I thought, maybe if I tried Vit. C, Ret. A, TCA peels there it would help.* For the most part, my skin (face, neck, chest, even lower arms) is in much better condition than that of other people my age (51), so I think it took me by surprise.* I have cellulite on the backs of my thighs and butt, and I've done about all I can think of (exercise and dry brushing) to help that.* I do exercise, but apparently not enough.* I plan to try to resistance training you suggested and stepping up the Pilates in that area, as well. Thanks!
    No sun damage, no age spots, no wrinkles= peels not necessary- Here is what you can do........... http://www.livestrong.com/article/49363-rid-upper-arm-cellulite/
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Hi hopeful! If you don't already do so, you may also want to add dry skin brushing to your routine. Check out the results on cellulite control on the ttapp.com forum. Some people on there also swear by taking alfalfa supplements to reduce cellulite. Also something to consider doing is the No Lipo Lipo from Carol Maggio. Some people on these boards and other skin care boards are getting good results on their arms, bellys, hips and thighs with cellulite reduction and inch loss using this method. Plus, it's a workout for your arms in itself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote:
    Unfortunately, running won't do much for your arms or your back, in terms of toning.

I somewhat disagree with this statement. I WILL say, however that stationary running (elliptical, treadmill, etc.) won't help you much for muscle tone. However, if you hit the street for about 2k every day, you WILL see improvement in tone over your whole body. You use your whole body to run, and the difference between running on the street and running in the gym is that on the street, you use more stabilizer muscles. Find a youtube video on proper running form. MOST people do not do it correctly, which means they do it ineffectively.

It is necessary to do any aerobic exercise for more than 20 minutes to get fat burning and muscle toning results. This is because you have an energy reserve that you have to burn through first, in order to break down stored energy. It is the breaking down of stored energy that contributes to fat loss and muscle toning. Also, you'll get better results from your resistance training if you do it AFTER your cardio, for the same reasons.

And here's some harsh truth:

Quote: Women tend to get cellulite around knees, saddlebags and buttocks, because they have three layers of fat in these areas [instead of just one]. Women also have three levels of fat in the stomach and in the triceps areas. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...lulite-forever

This is an in depth, very easy to understand article on what cellulite is and what causes it. I think it's a worthwhile read. So basically, if you have ANY extra fat on you, it's probably going to be in your arms, and staying toned is going to be an uphill battle. Sometimes life isn't fair

P.S. I second body brushing

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalScience View Post
    I somewhat disagree with this statement. I WILL say, however that stationary running (elliptical, treadmill, etc.) won't help you much for muscle tone. However, if you hit the street for about 2k every day, you WILL see improvement in tone over your whole body. You use your whole body to run, and the difference between running on the street and running in the gym is that on the street, you use more stabilizer muscles. Find a youtube video on proper running form. MOST people do not do it correctly, which means they do it ineffectively.
    You don't have to tell me^^..............I run daily...........on average 6-8 miles.........long runs (weekly) anywhere from 12-20 miles. I have ran for years and NEVER on a treadmill. It is always outside running for this gymrat!! You couldn't pay me enough to run indoors . And again...........running won't do much for arms in terms of toning. It is going to take more than that!! All the hours I spend running I still have to take a weight class and I do that 3xs a week. Light weights, lots of reps. THAT is what will tone you- But again, to each their own. If running tones your arms..........more power to ya...........your one of the lucky ones!! :cheers:
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

lol I only meant not to discount running altogether because it takes cardio + weight training to really see nice results Most people build up really nice triceps but they can't see their progress because they have to burn off that EXTRA bit of padding, even if they're not overweight. Yes, I have to lift weights too.

I like tricep dips, work the front-side-back deltoids(puts a nice cap on the shoulders) and doing different angled pushups all works for me. Plus a good diet. I did alot of sun damage in my Youngster years so I do realize the skin on my arms will never look 35 again. BUT I'm still plugging away .
    Today is a brand new day..another chance..a new beginning Hidden Content .

When life is tough ask " What is it here to teach me?"
    Hurtful words can never be taken back, But there is always Forgiveness.

I know what you mean. I fear my 'cellulite' on my legs and butt is actually the skin being loose and it kind of puckers a little and in the 'right' light (read BAD harsh down lighting in change rooms) it looks a little like cellulite but isn't. I'm a gym junkie and lift weights etc and am toned and slim but there seems to be nothing to slove the loose skin problem.

You could research coffee grounds if it is cellulite. It is temporary but does work. I suggest weights training.Where our body fat deposits changes over time (the dreaded M) and backs of arms is one of those places. You look slim in your picture though, so maybe this isn't your issue.
    I too am getting what I call "old lady arms". I have good muscle from weight lifting but the skin is loose in the arm pit, behind elbows and inner elbows. I fear bat wings could happen one day! I'd try skin tightening if I had the money. And probably surgery eventually... but I really need to prioritize the mortgage! I've started micro needling the arms hoping to stimulate the collagen. I live in hope. I'll keep you posted on results. Good luck. . Seeing these changes is so hard. I find I just get to accept one thing and another appears!

really should pay attention to how old these threads are lol!
    I'm so rubbish at these young people activities like the Internet and stuff lol I'm SUCH a Nanna...

12. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements