Skin Care Talk banner

Vitamin c supplements=super smooth skin

39K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  Wildchild 
#1 ·
Hi guys, Ive been taking 3000mg vitamin c for about 4 months now ..and my skin has gone much clearer and about half a shade lighter :) BUT the only thing is now my skin is so smooth no foundation saty put it jus melts away?? even Revlon Colorstay!!!:( What do I DO?? Im also worried about when Im goin to have to wear sunscreen will that melt away as well? will it still have the same protection ?! Anyone else gotthis problems?!!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
3000mg a day? Isn't that a bit too much?
Symptoms of Vitamin C Overdose Minor Symptoms Symptoms will start to appear as daily intake exceeds 2,000 mg.

• Abdominal cramps and diarrhea
  • Upset stomach, bloating and indigestion
  • Nausea, vomiting and excessive flatulence
  • Headaches
  • Mouth ulcers and sores
  • Rashes and redness of the face
  • Foot cramps and muscle pain
  • Increased stress
  • Hemolytic anemia - those with a genetic deficiency of an enzyme (G6PD) will rapidly break down red blood cells leading to anemia, fatigue and weakness.
  • Kidney stones - large doses of vitamin C over time lead to accumulation of calcium oxylate. This is the most common type of kidney stone. Excess vitamin C can cause reoccurrence of kidney stones.
Major Symptoms This cluster of symptoms generally appears when an individual ingests over 6,000 mg per day. Vitamin C toxicity causes the following:

• Anemia from B12 deficiency
  • Severe back pain
  • Dental cavities and tooth decay
  • Poor sleep and insomnia
  • Excess iron absorption and possibly iron toxicity (Hemochromatosis). This can result in damage to the liver and heart. Treatment requires phlebotomy to remove a pint of blood periodically until iron levels decrease.
  • Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
  • Copper deficiency
  • Cardiovascular strain due to increased oxygen requirements

#40 ·
3000mg a day? Isn't that a bit too much?  Symptoms of Vitamin C Overdose Minor Symptoms Symptoms will start to appear as daily intake exceeds 2,000 mg.

• Abdominal cramps and diarrhea
  • Upset stomach, bloating and indigestion
  • Nausea, vomiting and excessive flatulence
  • Headaches
  • Mouth ulcers and sores
  • Rashes and redness of the face
  • Foot cramps and muscle pain
  • Increased stress
  • Hemolytic anemia - those with a genetic deficiency of an enzyme (G6PD) will rapidly break down red blood cells leading to anemia, fatigue and weakness.
  • Kidney stones - large doses of vitamin C over time lead to accumulation of calcium oxylate. This is the most common type of kidney stone. Excess vitamin C can cause reoccurrence of kidney stones.
Major Symptoms This cluster of symptoms generally appears when an individual ingests over 6,000 mg per day. Vitamin C toxicity causes the following:

• Anemia from B12 deficiency
  • Severe back pain
  • Dental cavities and tooth decay
  • Poor sleep and insomnia
  • Excess iron absorption and possibly iron toxicity (Hemochromatosis). This can result in damage to the liver and heart. Treatment requires phlebotomy to remove a pint of blood periodically until iron levels decrease.
  • Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
  • Copper deficiency
  • Cardiovascular strain due to increased oxygen requirements
Exactly! Wanted to say this but just waitng to read through.. 1000mg of vit c is just ok. 3000 is over doing it!

#21 ·
It's not about what I think my darling, it is what it is. I am happy you aren't showing symptoms though, but some of these would not show up today, tomorrow or the day after, sometimes its in the long term and most of these symptoms are not seen externally. Take liver damage for example, the effects only become visible when two-thirds of the liver has been damaged. I am not in anyway trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, you can blame health practice for that.

The recommended adult dose is 1000mg a day, to maximise absorption, break the capsule into two and take half in the morning and the other half later on in the day.

#24 ·
As a medical student all I know is this amount of vitamin is overworking your kidney, besides your body can't absorb this amount anyway. Safer option certainly is 1g, to be honest even part of that just ends up in your urine.

I personally only use 500mg-1g vitamine C tablets during winter when I feel under the weather to give immune system bit of a boost so I have no idea about it's working on skin tho :)

#25 ·
I'm old. I've been taking more than 3000 mg for years. I take it twice a day. Keep in mind that I have been under the care of a naturopath and my regular MD for years as well. They are aware of all my vitamins and supplements. I also get quarterly blood work done.

I do not advise self-dosing.

#26 ·
i've been taking between 7-10gr daily (i mix in water and drink throughout the day) - been doing for nearly 2 years. C is soluble - if your body does not use it, it is eliminated. i see my doctor regularly. I agree with tmeyer66 - self dosing is not advised.

#30 ·
i agree...to a point - taking the C powder mixed with my water, keeps me on track with my water intake for the day. is easy enuff to take a pill. i was just thinking about the oxidation of the C in my water bottle - just a conscious observation.

#31 ·
i agree...to a point - taking the C powder mixed with my water, keeps me on track with my water intake for the day.  is easy enuff to take a pill.  i was just thinking about the oxidation of the C in my water bottle - just a conscious observation. 
Its funny all the little quirks we do to get things accomplished throughout the day. I fill 3 water bottles each 1.5 liters and drink one in the AM, one in the afternoon, and one in the PM. I will drink every last drop of that water before going to bed..............its crazy when you think about the habits we create. But each of us is wired differently, so one way doesn't always work :drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.