Is this melasma?

Thread: Is this melasma?

Is this melasma?

I've had pigmentation issues on my face since I started swimming in high school (4 years ago for 2 years) and not using sunscreen (terrible decision but can't undo it now) From what I've read, it almost seems like I'm too young to have melasma. I am 19, and I am currently on birth control for my acne (started 4 months ago), but the birth control has had no affect on this at all. I had the same pigmentation issues and they'd never subsided (and the birth control hasn't made anything worse).

Is this just sun damage or melasma (or melasma caused by sun damage)? I am trying to figure out the best course of treatment to take and I don't want to use hydroquinone if I don't have to. I definitely have some sort of pigmentation issue, and my left cheek is in much worse shape than my right cheek.

I realize the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne kinda gets in the way of seeing just the discoloration so sorry about that... You'll also probably notice that the area above/somewhat around my mouth is much whiter than the surrounding skin. I'm really confused as to why this is. A theory I have is that the surrounding skin is just darker so the area around my mouth appears whiter. Thoughts?

(sorry about the shiny post-moisturizer skin! left cheek, if you look closely you can see a pretty large area of discoloration starting from jawline and extending upwards)

Any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

In my opinion it doesn't look like you have melasma. From everything I have read melasma can strike at any age. I believe they say the average is between 20 and 40 or the child bearing years but that's not to say someone younger or older can get it. I would definitely recommend suncreen to everyone because you have no idea the damage sun does to your skin when it is overexposed. I wish I would have had someone give me more information about what can happen to your skin after years of sun exposure...maybe I wouldn't be battling this dreadful condition.

Hey, I just would like to know if you already know what it is? Because I have the exact same thing but it seems like nothing helps....
    I would reallys appreciate it if you would answer me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements