Skin Care Talk banner

help with first TCA 12% muac

45K views 83 replies 5 participants last post by  MrsBurney2015 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.I need some advice on doing my first TCA 12% muac peel.I need as much info as possible on preparation,doing the peel and after care (moisturizers + cleansers+ sunblock) iv done glycolic + salicylic peels before but not TCA!I'm 30 and have very fair skin(blonde blue eyes) and have ALOT of premature aging from sun damage off using sun beds & sun bathing as a teen. Im in the uk btw!I have emu oil (emu oil well) for after the peel and im going to get some aquaphor too.I'm also going to try and get some neosporin but have to order off eBay for that.sunblock I have green people SPF 25. Any help would be great thank you :) :) :)

#2 ·
So glad to hear you are preparing the best you can!! You can never educate yourself enough especially when it comes to TCA peels. The more you know ahead of time the better off the process will be for you.

Here is a great informative thread to read through
http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/12337-TCA-Instructions

Also, do understand 12% is a very low strength it may take you a couple layers. What I would do is order this strength in the sample size bottle as well as order 15% in sample size bottle. My guess is 15% will work great for you with only one layer. But do read up on both and use your own judgment on which you purchase!! Be sure to let us know how this peel turns out for you!! :five:

#11 ·
I would like to try retain A and a vit c serum. What products would you recommend.I'm in the uk btw!
Just bumping this for info :) :)
I'm sorry I totally missed this..........thank you for bumping it, shame on me :( Ok for Vit C serum I would encourage you to make your own as you will save $ in the long run. If you don't want to make your own I can give you a few places to look. As for Retin A, this would need to be prescribed by a Dr or you can order it through AllDayChemist http://www.alldaychemist.com/ There are a few members who are from UK and do group orders for this as well, so do check here for that. By doing a group order you save on the shipping cost. http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/46196/adc-london-orders Anymore questions just ask!! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Thank u gymerat! Thats ok :) I'm late on my replies because my Nana has been in hospital the last few months so i haven't had much time lately1f61e I'd love to make my own vit c serum though!iv been looking through lots of threads but been getting a little overwhelmed with it. if there's a simple recipe a newbie could make from the uk I'd be extremely greatful1f4961f496

#18 ·
@MrsBurney2015 did you try the TCA peel?
@gymrat I'm going to try the 12% TCA and see how I go with it.what instructions would you advise?how would you recommend I use it eg timings,for how many weeks

I was going to do a test patch then maybe do my forehead to try it out for the first proper go.for after care I was going to use vit e oil + emu oil,maybe Vaseline if its major dry.what do you think?if I do well on the 12% I might go higher.

#19 ·
@MrsBurney2015 did you try the TCA peel?
@gymrat I'm going to try the 12% TCA and see how I go with it.what instructions would you advise?how would you recommend I use it eg timings,for how many weeks

I was going to do a test patch then maybe do my forehead to try it out for the first proper go.for after care I was going to use vit e oil + emu oil,maybe Vaseline if its major dry.what do you think?if I do well on the 12% I might go higher.
You should be extremely dry from using 12%. And you don't want to keep your skin overly moisturized, as you will be defeating the purpose of doing a peel.

I would read the thread I provided second post of this thread, it will walk you through the process. Use neosporin immediately after the peel until all areas are no longer pink. You may not have any pink areas.

Do a patch test on the lower part of your jawline.

And if this is a MUAC you should have received detail instructions with it, explaining times, layer, etc. Read through that instruction card as well.

#25 ·
@gymrat iv checked out polysporin and again can't get it :( anything antibiotic has strict rules over here.
I'm thinking i might have to order on eBay and have it shipped from the USA.
I did find something called "Brulidine Cream" an antiseptic and antibacterial cream.would that be any good?if not I'll be shipping from US I suppose

#32 ·
@gymrat iv checked out polysporin and again can't get it :( anything antibiotic has strict rules over here.
I'm thinking i might have to order on eBay and have it shipped from the USA.
I did find something called "Brulidine Cream" an antiseptic and antibacterial cream.would that be any good?if not I'll be shipping from US I suppose
I am not sure, I have never used or heard of Brulidine Cream. Lets see if @Neom can be of help, she lives in UK as well.
@Neom what do you used in place of neosporin?? All of these ointments are readily available to me .....hoping you can recommend something for this UK member.

#27 ·
@MrsBurney2015 yes, after Christmas I'm aiming for!I'm just having trouble getting a hold of an antibiotic cream :( its a pain having things shipped from the USA.when I ordered the muac TCA peels it cost me nearly £16 for custom charges ������
@annaamia £16 in custom charges!! :rant2: That's just crazy!! I'm in the same boat with u with, but with shipping, not nearly as bad, but having a hard time paying $7 in shipping for a sample bottle. That's pretty pricey to me.

Hopefully you will be able to find an antibiotic cream somewhere online that doesn't have such a pricey shipping/custom cost. :(

#33 ·
#29 ·
@MrsBurney2015 yes express chemist are good (iv bought from them before) but all only antiseptic and antibacterial creams available :(
Apparently if you buy a item over £14( including shipping I think) you get slapped with a custom charge and have to pay it before they send it on!stupid thing is iv bought things from the US before which were more than £14 and not got charged so who knows!

Btw my TCA came today!12% and 15% in sample sizes.

#30 ·
@MrsBurney2015 yes express chemist are good (iv bought from them before) but all only antiseptic and antibacterial creams available :(
Apparently if you buy a item over £14( including shipping I think) you get slapped with a custom charge and have to pay it before they send it on!stupid thing is iv bought things from the US before which were more than £14 and not got charged so who knows!

Btw my TCA came today!12% and 15% in sample sizes.
@annaamia ah sorry I missed the antibiotic piece.

Yay!!! Now you just need that last piece!! Darn customs.

#35 ·
@gymrat I suppose my question really is does it have to be a antibiotic cream?I'm guessing yes, but if a antibacterial + antiseptic cream would suffice i could use that instead.
You can use an antibacterial cream, would check the ingredients in the antiseptic and see what it contains.......I've never used one before myself. Just be sure nothing that would irritate your skin after doing the peel. You can also email MUAC and ask them for thier advice on the cream, they are very helpful as well.

#39 ·
@Neom have you got a link to the neosporin seller?all the sellers I've seen are us sellers :(
I was going to use savlon as I'm nervous of using neosporin because I'm afraid of being allergic.the last thing I want is a bloody allergic reaction on top of peeling!eeks!I'm trying to use products I know I'm not allergic to like emu oil,vitamin e oil.

Anyway I'm starting with the 12% one layer, if all goes well wait 3 weeks then two layers 12%,if all goes well after that,wait 3 weeks then I may bump to 15% one layer and see how that works out.I'm going very cautiously because I don't want to be a TCA disaster. I know 12% is very weak but with having cold sores I don't know how that will play a part.
@Neom @MrsBurney2015 what's your routine going to be when you do your peels?:)

Mine is cleanse with alcohol before peel,apply TCA wait 5mins then rinse with neutraliser,apply emu oil or vit e,if I get saw areas apply savlon.do you think that will be ok @gymrat

#44 ·
@Neom i think I may have seen it on here and I saw it on some reviews on make up ally,but I guess you can have a allergic reaction to anything really.I think I'd test patch it if I do use it just to see if there is any reaction.I'm just so nervous about using things iv never tried before let alone the bloody TCA peel lol!boxing day isn't too far away so you'll be peeling soon :)

#48 ·
@annaamia @gymrat tried the Neosporin last night with no issues today so looks like I'm all set for TCA.

re prep the skin - I have some of the MUAC PH prep solution so will be using that. I often use it as a toner, it fab!
@Neom, YES!! That toner will work perfect to apply prior to your TCA. Just don't use it after your peel until your healed because it contains LA.

So apply your TCA, one neutralized, lather up n neosporin. Keep that on until any pink/red areas are gone. Use mild cleanser, til fully back to normal. So excited for you!! Can't wait to see how you handle the burn :yess: just remind yourself you can do anything for 5 minutes!!

#47 ·
@Neom that's great!!

I'm really annoyed because iv just came out in a tiny cold sore on my lip :( so I'm trying to get some aciclovir tablets(£49 essh!) off the superdrug pharmacy online so when I'm doing my peels I'll hopefully be protected.argh I hate cold sores :( :( I know that's what the proper precaution is when having a professional peel.
This is the info iv found when researching it---- Two days before the treatment you must start taking acyclovir 400 mg, 2 times per day or famciclovir 500 mg, 2 times per day.for one week after the peel, acyclovir 200 mg, 5 times per day or famciclovir 500 mg, 2 times per day must be taken. This medication is available by prescription only. This will keep cold sores from spreading to the freshly treated skin. Failure to take this medication can lead to severe scaring. Call your doctor immediately if you feel a cold sore coming on.

#49 ·
Yay I'm getting my aciclovir tablets so I won't have to be worried about a cold sore breakout :) its a 3 month supply so I think that will be enough for 3 peels :) :)

Now I just need neosporin and a witch hazel toner and I'll be ready eeeek!probably be start of January I'll do it but could be before if I get my last bits and bobs :)

#54 ·
@Neom did someone say pictures :)

I might do the 12% peel on Sunday :D I've taken some of the cold sore medication,done glycolic toners daily and I'll do a test patch tonight.I'll probably do 3 peels so thought best get this one out the way and go from there.I keep you all updated too

#55 ·
@Neom did someone say pictures :)

I might do the 12% peel on Sunday :D I've taken some of the cold sore medication,done glycolic toners daily and I'll do a test patch tonight.I'll probably do 3 peels so thought best get this one out the way and go from there.I keep you all updated too
Maybe we'll see :cool:
@gymrat I forgot to ask - how far down on the neck can you go? Or best not too? I was going to go past the jawline anyway as I kinda need too for a little bit of scarring/pigmentation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.