Skin Care Talk banner

Eczema, acne, dry and flaky skin, oily skin... HELP!

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm new here. I hope someone can help. First i live in rural Kentucky, and my dermatologist is an hour drive from me. I don't really like her, but she is the only dermatologist within an hour's drive accepting new patients. My choices are limited. She basically does not listen to me. She has given me steroid cream for my eczema, and refuses to address these issues: My skin is oily, but also dry, red, and flaky in spots. I have two patches of reoccurring eczema on each side of my chin. The steroid cream helps, for a while. I get large, painful cystic pimples. I still have dark marks from pimples months ago. They are sore, heal slowly, and leave marks for months. My dermatologist says my acne is not that bad, and will not address it. If I treat my acne, my eczema flares up. If I treat my eczema, I break out in large cystic pimples. If I attempt to treat my oily skin, I get big flaky patches... That still get oily. I'm 36 and my skin is awful. Wearing makeup is hard, and I need to wear makeup to cover all the marks left by the pimples. But makeup accentuates the eczema and flaky patches. I'm lost. It feels hopeless. Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Oh boy, eczema and acne......first off, forget the Derm, your regular GP should be able to treat you for eczema....... In the meantime try gentle products, Cetephil makes an eczema line of products that would work for both eczema/acne. Spot treat the areas with the products given by your Derm. Don't apply all over just in areas of need. If it doesn't work for you, stop using it, and make an appt to see your regular GP. A few things to consider is Calendula oil, Welda makes a nice product, as do many other brands. Antihistamines/Benedryll or the like Corticosteroids, you can find over the counter Running a humidifier Make sure you get lots of omega-3 oils (fish, leafy green vegetables) in your diet as well as taking a supplement form, to help keep your skin moist and soft. Stay away from milk!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.