Exfoliating for a beginner - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 First 8 9

Thread: Exfoliating for a beginner

@gymrat Is the vitamin c serum something you should work up to using every day? I've applied it 3 days in a row so far, but now I'm noticing that my skin looks darker, despite my zinc oxide sunscreen that leaves a white cast! Could this be due to irritation? I also read something about skin turning an orange-ish color if the serum doesn't fully absorb. I guess it can oxidize on the surface of the skin, which causes the orange color. Have you ever heard of this happening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjer View Post
    @gymrat Is the vitamin c serum something you should work up to using every day? I've applied it 3 days in a row so far, but now I'm noticing that my skin looks darker, despite my zinc oxide sunscreen that leaves a white cast! Could this be due to irritation? I also read something about skin turning an orange-ish color if the serum doesn't fully absorb. I guess it can oxidize on the surface of the skin, which causes the orange color. Have you ever heard of this happening?
    What Vit C serum are you using? What % is it? And yes you should use Vit C serum every day its a great antioxidant.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

@gymrat I got the recipe from the DIY section on this site. 1 tsp LAA in 3 tsp distilled water, 1/4 teaspoon ferulic acid dissolved in vodka, 1 tsp seakelp bioferment, 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil, 1 tsp jojoba oil and then 1/4 tsp poly 80. I think that comes to 15% ?

This is what I did...I combined all the oils and the seakelp bioferment in one shotglass and stirred that up while letting the ferulic acid dissolve in another....once that was done I combined the LAA and distilled water and stirred it up until all the crystals were dissolved. I think that took about 10 minutes...then I added the ferulic acid to the LAA mixture, and then added the shotglass with the oils and seakelp bioferment. Stirred that up and then added the poly 80. I'm wondering if I did anything wrong...can you stir things too much? I did a lot of stirring. Also, I haven't refrigerated any of the ingredients. I've just been keeping them
    in a drawer. Could they have gone bad? My serum does have a light yellowish color to it, but I figured it's because of the jojoba oil which is a deep golden color. the seakelp bioferment, ferulic acid, and poly 80 are also slightly yellowish/golden in color.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjer View Post
    @gymrat I got the recipe from the DIY section on this site. 1 tsp LAA in 3 tsp distilled water, 1/4 teaspoon ferulic acid dissolved in vodka, 1 tsp seakelp bioferment, 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil, 1 tsp jojoba oil and then 1/4 tsp poly 80. I think that comes to 15% ?

This is what I did...I combined all the oils and the seakelp bioferment in one shotglass and stirred that up while letting the ferulic acid dissolve in another....once that was done I combined the LAA and distilled water and stirred it up until all the crystals were dissolved. I think that took about 10 minutes...then I added the ferulic acid to the LAA mixture, and then added the shotglass with the oils and seakelp bioferment. Stirred that up and then added the poly 80. I'm wondering if I did anything wrong...can you stir things too much? I did a lot of stirring. Also, I haven't refrigerated any of the ingredients. I've just been keeping them
    in a drawer. Could they have gone bad? My serum does have a light yellowish color to it, but I figured it's because of the jojoba oil which is a deep golden color. the seakelp bioferment, ferulic acid, and poly 80 are also slightly yellowish/golden in color.
    @mjer YES , this all looks perfect, you want to stir it so everything mixes well. I actually mix mine with a hand held milk frother. And yes the color would be due to the oil you use. Keep it in a dark color bottle, in a dark cool cabinet, use up within 7-10 days, you are good to go. Store your ingredients in the same, just a cool dark cabinet, they have a long shelf life. I freeze my oils so they keep longer, but you don't have too. They are fine in a cabinet, I have several and alternate with them.

Its as easy as making cookies, right
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

@gymrat lol yes it is as easy as making cookies! I'm glad I'm going the DIY route because it would get very expensive otherwise. Just a few more questions...how much should I be using for the face? I only use about half the bottle before the 10 days are up so I feel like maybe I'm not using enough. Also, I apply it in the morning so while I wait for it to absorb my face is exposed to light for about 20 minutes before sunscreen. Is that okay, or is it breaking down the vitamin c?

8. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements