Exfoliating for a beginner - Page 9

Thread: Exfoliating for a beginner

@gymrat Is the vitamin c serum something you should work up to using every day? I've applied it 3 days in a row so far, but now I'm noticing that my skin looks darker, despite my zinc oxide sunscreen that leaves a white cast! Could this be due to irritation? I also read something about skin turning an orange-ish color if the serum doesn't fully absorb. I guess it can oxidize on the surface of the skin, which causes the orange color. Have you ever heard of this happening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjer View Post
    @gymrat Is the vitamin c serum something you should work up to using every day? I've applied it 3 days in a row so far, but now I'm noticing that my skin looks darker, despite my zinc oxide sunscreen that leaves a white cast! Could this be due to irritation? I also read something about skin turning an orange-ish color if the serum doesn't fully absorb. I guess it can oxidize on the surface of the skin, which causes the orange color. Have you ever heard of this happening?
    What Vit C serum are you using? What % is it? And yes you should use Vit C serum every day its a great antioxidant.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

@gymrat I got the recipe from the DIY section on this site. 1 tsp LAA in 3 tsp distilled water, 1/4 teaspoon ferulic acid dissolved in vodka, 1 tsp seakelp bioferment, 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil, 1 tsp jojoba oil and then 1/4 tsp poly 80. I think that comes to 15% ?

This is what I did...I combined all the oils and the seakelp bioferment in one shotglass and stirred that up while letting the ferulic acid dissolve in another....once that was done I combined the LAA and distilled water and stirred it up until all the crystals were dissolved. I think that took about 10 minutes...then I added the ferulic acid to the LAA mixture, and then added the shotglass with the oils and seakelp bioferment. Stirred that up and then added the poly 80. I'm wondering if I did anything wrong...can you stir things too much? I did a lot of stirring. Also, I haven't refrigerated any of the ingredients. I've just been keeping them
    in a drawer. Could they have gone bad? My serum does have a light yellowish color to it, but I figured it's because of the jojoba oil which is a deep golden color. the seakelp bioferment, ferulic acid, and poly 80 are also slightly yellowish/golden in color.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjer View Post
    @gymrat I got the recipe from the DIY section on this site. 1 tsp LAA in 3 tsp distilled water, 1/4 teaspoon ferulic acid dissolved in vodka, 1 tsp seakelp bioferment, 1/4 tsp vitamin e oil, 1 tsp jojoba oil and then 1/4 tsp poly 80. I think that comes to 15% ?

This is what I did...I combined all the oils and the seakelp bioferment in one shotglass and stirred that up while letting the ferulic acid dissolve in another....once that was done I combined the LAA and distilled water and stirred it up until all the crystals were dissolved. I think that took about 10 minutes...then I added the ferulic acid to the LAA mixture, and then added the shotglass with the oils and seakelp bioferment. Stirred that up and then added the poly 80. I'm wondering if I did anything wrong...can you stir things too much? I did a lot of stirring. Also, I haven't refrigerated any of the ingredients. I've just been keeping them
    in a drawer. Could they have gone bad? My serum does have a light yellowish color to it, but I figured it's because of the jojoba oil which is a deep golden color. the seakelp bioferment, ferulic acid, and poly 80 are also slightly yellowish/golden in color.
    @mjer YES , this all looks perfect, you want to stir it so everything mixes well. I actually mix mine with a hand held milk frother. And yes the color would be due to the oil you use. Keep it in a dark color bottle, in a dark cool cabinet, use up within 7-10 days, you are good to go. Store your ingredients in the same, just a cool dark cabinet, they have a long shelf life. I freeze my oils so they keep longer, but you don't have too. They are fine in a cabinet, I have several and alternate with them.

Its as easy as making cookies, right

@gymrat lol yes it is as easy as making cookies! I'm glad I'm going the DIY route because it would get very expensive otherwise. Just a few more questions...how much should I be using for the face? I only use about half the bottle before the 10 days are up so I feel like maybe I'm not using enough. Also, I apply it in the morning so while I wait for it to absorb my face is exposed to light for about 20 minutes before sunscreen. Is that okay, or is it breaking down the vitamin c?

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Well a good manual exfoliator is the micro fiber cloth. What you could do is use this along with your cleanser and it gives a nice exfoliation. http://www.amazon.com/NCN-Pro-Skinca.../dp/B00FSBNGKM Or, you can use chemicals, a mild one is mandalic acid, a little stronger is lactic acid. Both are great for exfoliating. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/M...cid-_c_89.html http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/4...Kits_p_32.html Vit C serum is also a good way for a little exfoliation. Just be sure you are using a sunscreen!!
    Hey gymrat.... have you tried NCN's new Microfiber cloth? What's different other than it's not a waffle weave?

I just got some great things from Nanci--love them especially her Rinseable Cleansing Oil. ALSO her Physical Sunscreen!
    Last edited by msboo; 04-15-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msboo View Post
    Hey gymrat.... have you tried NCN's new Microfiber cloth? What's different other than it's not a waffle weave?

I just got some great things from Nanci--love them especially her Rinseable Cleansing Oil. ALSO her Physical Sunscreen!
    Hey @msboo , how are you?? I have tried her clothes but I am a huge fan of the waffle weaved, they work extremely well. I read about her rinseable cleansing oil. How do you like it? Does it remove your SS as well?? I am a fan of Nanci's things she has always done a great job with her products. And her customer service is awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Hey @msboo, how are you?? I have tried her clothes but I am a huge fan of the waffle weaved, they work extremely well. I read about her rinseable cleansing oil. How do you like it? Does it remove your SS as well?? I am a fan of Nanci's things she has always done a great job with her products. And her customer service is awesome as well.
    I'm fine, thanks for asking. How you doin'? I still like the waffle too but got her newer cloth to try (only one she offers now)---not sure of the difference other than it's not waffle, will let you know after I've used it a bit. I ask Nanci about it, she said she found a better cloth. I remember that lady (Merry Microfiber) I found who had the waffle for like $4 & change, long ago, went out of business--retired, not sure. LOL, she emailed me back then (to say Thanks) since she got slammed with orders---I told her I had mentioned her site about the Waffle. This newer non-waffle is made in China like so many are. The Microfiber cloths I first got for house cleaning were Star Fiber made in Korea, better quality from what I read---before I knew it they were everywhere and Made in China on different machines. Oh well.

YES, love Nanci, her products AND cust serv is AWESOME. Really like the Cleansing Oil so far, just got it Friday--also her All Trans Retinol 2% and the Multi-Active Accelerator, my skin feels sooooo good! AND her new I'm Covered Physical SS is great.... goes on clear, not greasy at all. I usually hate SS but this is incredible for me---this leaves a soft finish, my skin looks the same when it's time to cleanse at night. A first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by msboo View Post
    I'm fine, thanks for asking. How you doin'? I still like the waffle too but got her newer cloth to try (only one she offers now)---not sure of the difference other than it's not waffle, will let you know after I've used it a bit. I ask Nanci about it, she said she found a better cloth. I remember that lady (Merry Microfiber) I found who had the waffle for like $4 & change, long ago, went out of business--retired, not sure. LOL, she emailed me back then (to say Thanks) since she got slammed with orders---I told her I had mentioned her site about the Waffle. This newer non-waffle is made in China like so many are. The Microfiber cloths I first got for house cleaning were Star Fiber made in Korea, better quality from what I read---before I knew it they were everywhere and Made in China on different machines. Oh well.

YES, love Nanci, her products AND cust serv is AWESOME. Really like the Cleansing Oil so far, just got it Friday--also her All Trans Retinol 2% and the Multi-Active Accelerator, my skin feels sooooo good! AND her new I'm Covered Physical SS is great.... goes on clear, not greasy at all. I usually hate SS but this is incredible for me---this leaves a soft finish, my skin looks the same when it's time to cleanse at night. A first for me.
    OMG, I totally remember you mentioning Merry Micro, heck we probably put her out of business and pushed her into retirement, we probably purchased everything she had . I bought a couple dozen and passed them out to friends and family like candy. I still have a few new ones I keep and will remain with me when I am desperate for a good cloth. I have several I have purchased from various suppliers I will have to look and see where mine are made, not even sure now that you mention it. I like the satin edged ones that I do know. And they held up really well. Could wash and hang dry and had no problems with them. I love Nanci as well. I honesty think she got a better deal with the cloth company she is using now......don't know this for sure, but this is what I am assuming. You are tempting me on her Cleansing oil.......and do you apply foundation over the SS? If so, does it go on no problem, makes no difference with the finish? I need to dig through my samples, I believe she sent me a sample of the Multi Accelerator last time. I should give it a try.

Hi @gymrat ! How are you?

I'm trying to get back on my skin regimen. Too bad I didn't get this epiphany during colder months, but I think I can get at least one peel series in before summer is in full season. On my way to pick up some distilled water to make a Vit C serum. Would love to make the Vodka/Poly 80 serum, but acquiring the ingredients on a routine basis will be challenging for me, so I keep it simple.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements