Skin Care Talk banner

Kassy's Vitamin C serum 20% with Feruic Acid

40K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Christmas 
#1 ·
I currently keeping Kassy's Vitamin C serum 20% with Feruic Acid this in the fridge do I need to do this? Im wanting to send some that I have made to a friend overseas, will it last the journey without changing or going off.

Also this recipe needs to heat items up, does anyone know if there is another recipe that does not require this but is as good or better?

#2 ·
I currently keeping Kassy's Vitamin C serum 20% with Feruic Acid this in the fridge do I need to do this?  Im wanting to send some that I have made to a friend overseas, will it last the journey without changing or going off. Also this recipe needs to heat items up, does anyone know if there is another recipe that does not require this but is as good or better?
No heating required with this recipe. This is Kassys recipe as well http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/7596/diy-vit-c-serum-recipes-and-ingredient-sources As for shipping this, what I would do is freeze it in a dark amber droppler bottle, once froze wrap it in foil, then place in a zip lock baggy, wrap with bubble wrap then ship. It should be fine. Just wrap good for extra precaution.

#4 ·
Hi Gymrat Thanks for the reply. When I tried the link this is what come up is this normal? You do not have permission to view this thread. Please contact a site administrator if you believe this to be in error. Alternately you may return to the Forums forum
You are correct, that's because we have this area set for members only, meaning you have to be an active participating member. Keep posting!!

#6 ·
name="bigbangworld" url="/t/49851/kassys-vitamin-c-serum-20-with-feruic-acid#post_912874"]Hi Gymrat, Is there anyway that I could please be allowed to view Kassy's*20% Vitamin C serum?
Once you become an active member you will have access to the full forum.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hi, I haven't been on here much because things have been working great! I've been making my own Vit C serum from Kassy's recipe for 6 years now. Now all of a sudden my last two bottles have been gritty. Why is that? I've been doing everything the same way for 6 years I don't know why all of a sudden it is gritty when I put it on my skin. Has anyone else experienced this? Gymrat?

#12 ·
Something isn't dissolving. Have you changed who you purchase ingredients from?

Gritty is usually 1 of 2 things, your Vit C or your FA. Are you using ultra fine LAA?? I use and have only used LAA from Makingcosmetics. I've never had any issues with getting it dissolved, so I have never purchased from another. FA, I have struggled with a time or two. Right now I am using FA from Bulkactives. Dissolves perfectly.

Great to see you by the way @Christmas :eek:

#17 ·
Since I started making Kassy's Vitamin C serum three years ago I have been using vodka to dissolve my FA. The FA in the vodka is always whitish. I just purchase the Everclear 151 Proof from Bevmo for $19.95 and use it for the first time today to dissolve the FA. It works great. The FA solution is clear and not whitish looking if using vodka. Also, I have read that Polysorbate 80 and Phenoxyethanol cannot mix together because it will make the Phenox not effective to get rid of germs. Can anyone verify this?

#19 ·
Hi Gymie,

In California the law does not permit the 190 Proof alcohol. You can only find the 151 Proof. There are only few stores that sells this; also they don't ship. I am lucky to find mine about 30 miles away from me otherwise I'll need to drive 170 miles to the nearest store. This is the first time I made the Vitamin C without Poly 80. I added xantham gum (XG) to mine but added a little too much and it became very thick. Anyway, I made 20 ml and with 22% of LAA so I can afford to add a little more distilled water to dilute it a little. Since it is thick this time I didn't put them in a dropper bottle but use an air-pump. It came out good.

I ordered recently from LC the Leucidal SF preservative but haven't tried it yet. I've been using Phenox in all my formulation. But eversince I read about the "No No" combination of Poly 80 and Phenox I am a little worried. I have use Phenox in my HA/SG stock and also all the other serum I made. Now, I will try out Leucidal SF. Will see how effective it is against microbial. Also, now I substitute XG to thicken and binding my mix instead of Poly80. It works well. I also use Lecithin in my serum but not in my Vit C serum. I know a lot of people have trouble with the XG gum exploding when mix with water and become a glob. DO NOT USE TOO MUCH! The trick to do this is to add the XG into your oil mix and blend them well with a mini blender before adding your water mix and your formulation will be smooth. Hope this help anyone who use XG in their formulations.

I have to go as naturlal as can be. Even using sunblock cause my skin to itch.

#20 ·
I have never tried XG in my C serum but do have a stock XG base in my fridge as we speak!! Will have to try it in my next batch. I make my XG stock just as I would my HA stock. Both can be a bit fussy to dissolve. I let mine sit and just shake a few times then put in the fridge, by the next day its perfect.

I have not heard about the combo of Poly 80 and Phenox being a no no but am definitely going to look into it. I do have Leucidal in powder and liquid form, let me know how it works for you if you try it. Honestly, my C serum is the ONLY thing I've never added a preservative too. Kind of got into the habit of not taking that extra step, even though in the back of my head I know I should be :)

Does Vit C serum cause your skin to itch at all? You mention SS causing it to itch, I get this myself from time to time. Its not something that happens every time, but enough to make me go hmmmm. Sometimes I wonder if when I've exfoliating too much if it doesn't cause my SS and or C serum to give me grief.....always something I tell ya :eek:

#23 ·
Sorry for not replying sooner. I was having problems logging into this account. I didn't know you could make a stock of XG like HA and SG. Will try that next time. The Vitamin C serum initially cause some itch but then my skin has gotten used to it now and can take higher percentage. Yes sun block cause my skin to itch. Now I used the L'Oreal silky sunblock and it's OK. I used the Neutrogena or any other brand on my arms and they started itching bad. I have really sensitive skin and have never used anything on my face till I stumbled onto this forum few years back. Started making the C serum and moisturizer and my skin was able to accept without itchiness. I cannot use store bought stuffs. Even body lotion cause me to itch instead of calming the dry skin. I think it's the paraben and silicone stuffs that I am allergic to. Yes, I am allergic even to synthetic fiber that means I can wear mostly 100 % cotton stuff. Even using a polyester pillow make my scalp itch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.