Skin Care Talk banner

Toddler Eczema

127K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  ocres 
#1 ·
I have a daughter that's almost 3 that suffers from eczema and it's really heartbreaking to see her scratching her skin in the areas where eczema has completely taken over. I have tried all the natural stuff for babies that I have found at the pharmacy and supermarket and they just reduce the eczema and have to be applied over and over again. When she gets home from daycare she is super duper dry and itchy and I have to apply it immediately. Does anyone have any good remedies for toddler eczema to clear it completely? BTW even the stuff from her doc didn't work completely and that is by prescription only :(

#2 ·
Awwwhhhh my son battled with it as a baby/toddler as well. Still does from time to time. Change of season is his worst time.

What works well is to get shea butter, cocoa butter, whatever you have butter wise and apply on her when she is damp. So right out of the bath, let her drip dry a bit then rub her down. Her body being damp will help the butters to penetrate easier. My son used to get scabs his eczema was that bad, broke my heart. So I sympathize with you completely!!

If you don't have access to any type of butter, you can use avocado oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, these will work the same way. Again, apply on damp skin. Just be sure your using pure oil so there aren't other fillers/additives.

#4 ·
Awwwhhhh my son battled with it as a baby/toddler as well. Still does from time to time. Change of season is his worst time.

What works well is to get shea butter, cocoa butter, whatever you have butter wise and apply on her when she is damp. So right out of the bath, let her drip dry a bit then rub her down. Her body being damp will help the butters to penetrate easier. My son used to get scabs his eczema was that bad, broke my heart. So I sympathize with you completely!!

If you don't have access to any type of butter, you can use avocado oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, these will work the same way. Again, apply on damp skin. Just be sure your using pure oil so there aren't other fillers/additives.

Thanks @gymrat it is definitely heartbreaking. Her skin is so sensitive and some things cause a rash while others do not moisturize the skin and her skin is still dry. I haven't yet tried any butters so I will go searching on Amazon as soon as I get off of Skin Care Talk! Thanks and I will let you know what happens.

#3 ·
Hi. My baby suffered from eczema as well and I tried EVERYTHING and then one day a very seasoned pediatrician advised me to do the following:

Mix Aquafor and 1% hydrocortisone and apply to affected areas daily. I went to my local Target and purchased both items for less than $15 total. The pediatrician advised not to use anything greater than 1% hydrocortisone because it is a mild steroid. 1% hydrocortisone can be obtained without a prescription. Higher percentages require a prescription; so if your baby's condition is an moderate to extreme case of eczema, you may need a prescription from her pediatrician.

The pediatrician advised that I mix the hydrocortisone into the jar of Aquafor, but I did not do this because I was concerned about losing potency and I was unsure which size jar to use. Aquafor is sold in various containers, i.e., a large family sized jar, a smaller jar, and a tube. So, I mixed the Aquafor and hyrdocortisone together in my hand immediately before applying to the skin. Another person told me that they mixed the hydrocortisone into the jar of Aquafor as the pediatrician advised and achieved good results.

Initially, I applied the mix all over my baby and then later to just the affected areas. As of this writing, my baby has no trace of eczema and his skin is bright and smooth. He is naturally a caramel color. It took about 30-45 days of treatment for me to get to this point and there were days when it seemed as if the treatment was not going to overcome the eczema, but I stuck to it and gave myself 3 months to see if it would work. Now, I am applying the treatment every other day to the areas that were formerly afflicted with eczema and will slowly decrease the application to every three days to see if my baby can go without it for longer periods of time.

I hope this helps.

#7 ·
What I used was Aquafor mixed with 1% hydrocortisone (not Aquafor alone as your post suggests). Based on post dates, it does not seem like you are giving enough time for product(s) to work. With any skincare, it takes about 28-30 days to see if there is any effect. Best of luck!

#10 ·
@ gymrat I hope you don't think I forgot about your suggestion of using butters on her. I tried that and it made her more itchy unfortunately. I am really hoping that this is not something that she'll have to deal with forever. How old is your son now and has it improved at all?

#12 ·
I switched to another eczema lotion that isn't particularly formulated for children because I need something lighter for her skin now that it is getting hot. When it is first applied it seems okay but her skin gets dry again kind of fast. I got it in Walmart for like $15 :(

#14 · (Edited)
I feel your pain. My daughter is going thru the same thing. Have you ever had your daughter tested for food allergies?
Also, I find that the bleach bath and wet wraps work well for my daughter (she's turning 4 in august). Try hydrolatum cream for moisturizer. I buy a 16 oz jar at Costco for about $10. It lasts 1-2 weeks. Refrain from long bath. Use cotton socks on hands at night or even during the day to prevent her from scratching. My daughter is pretty good at keeping the socks on unless she's playing in her ipad.

#15 ·
@naeda I will try your recommendations, at this point I will try anything truthfully! Some nights the itching actually wakes her up. I will also get her tested for allergies, that is something on my to do list also but I 've used up all my vacation days at work so I will have to wait for that. I will let you know what happens :)

#16 ·
Good luck. Let me know if the bleach bath and wet wraps work for her (try googling the procedures). I just started during these two about 2 months ago, and I find that they really help my daughter. Also, sometimes my daughter's dermatologist suggest that I give her Claritin during the day or Benadryl at night when the itching is really bad. My daughter has been suffering from eczema due to multiple food allergies since she was 6 months old. It has gotten worse as she gets older since it's hard for me now to monitor what she eats, especially when she goes to school. It has been a battle for us and I'm hoping she grows out of it soon.

#17 ·
It's actually getting worse for my daughter too unfortunately. Sometimes it seems like it is getting better and then she will have a bad night of scratching and we will be back to square one. I feel like I have tried and used everything know to man sometimes and then I find something else that seems promising for while and all of a sudden it stops working. It is a never ending battle and I hope she grows out of it too.

#21 ·
Does anyone know if eczema gets worse in the Summer? It seems like those that suffer from eczema often end up with dry patches, rashes on the skin and all sorts of stuff when it warms up. I am trying so hard not to use too many of the prescribed creams on my daughter.

#22 ·
So sorry you’re still dealing with eczema issues. I’ve had it myself for years now and have tried a number of products. I think it’s different for everyone. My eczema is always better by summer’s end. Hopefully your child is in a better place. If not, then I’d follow a previous poster’s recommendation to be patient and try things out for at least 30 days. It’s def helped me. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.