Lactic peel milder than glycolic? Advice?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: Lactic peel milder than glycolic? Advice?

  1. #1

    Lactic peel milder than glycolic? Advice?

    So I'm new to chemical peels and I ordered a 30% glycolic peel kit as my first at home peel. Following as directed. My skin didn't tolerate this very well. It left me very irritated, red and peeling for a week every time. Since then I purchased a 10% glycolic gel which is to be left on. My skin does tolerate this well with no complaint.
    Do u think lactic acid peels may be worth a look in this case?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,121
    Well, clearly 30% is higher than 10%, so this is one reason why your skin is probably able to handle it. But also, a Glycolic peel shouldn't "peel" your skin. It will exfoliate it but not peel it. Flaking at the most..........

    If your peel was 30% what was the other 70%??

    Lactic Acid is milder than Glycolic Acid
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  4. #3
    I stay with the 10% Glycolic if your skin is tolerating it well, 30% was way too strong.
    I use Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Cream, the more I use it more it stings but it's really smoothing my skin with no
    visible peeling.
    TRUTH is generally the best vindication against slander Abraham Lincoln

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Well, clearly 30% is higher than 10%, so this is one reason why your skin is probably able to handle it. But also, a Glycolic peel shouldn't "peel" your skin. It will exfoliate it but not peel it. Flaking at the most..........

    If your peel was 30% what was the other 70%??

    Lactic Acid is milder than Glycolic Acid
    H

    Hi Gymie! I need some advice. I'm scheduled for an at home peel and the lady will use 40% salycilic. I've used carotein gel and am asking her to use a lower strength of glycolic acid. Since I'm new to this can you advice? Thank u

  7. #5
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,121
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowApple View Post
    H

    Hi Gymie! I need some advice. I'm scheduled for an at home peel and the lady will use 40% salycilic. I've used carotein gel and am asking her to use a lower strength of glycolic acid. Since I'm new to this can you advice? Thank u
    Wow, 40%?? Have you ever used SA peeling prior to this?? I've used 25% and that is pretty potent. I've only used MUAC SA peels, never had one done professionally. Only profession peel I've had are TCAs.

    @YellowApple, don't use any type of exfoliant including microfibers, etc 24 hrs, prior to the peel. SA is good for treating acne, I hope you have great results. Next time, do it yourself we can walk you through the process. Its so easy, and you will save a ton!!
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  8. #6
    Thanks Gymie. Thank fully she rescheduled so I could cancel but I'm not in the US so I can't get a chemical peel solution readily available. I have a friend coming in from the US though so I can order. If you can advice me on what to buy I should be ready to attempt it by Nov. TBH I really can't afford the treatment by I'm not happy with my face right now. And I planned to have monthly facials at the spa but if I can do it on my own, I'm not averse to saving money. Thanks GYmie.

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Wow, 40%?? Have you ever used SA peeling prior to this?? I've used 25% and that is pretty potent. I've only used MUAC SA peels, never had one done professionally. Only profession peel I've had are TCAs.

    @YellowApple, don't use any type of exfoliant including microfibers, etc 24 hrs, prior to the peel. SA is good for treating acne, I hope you have great results. Next time, do it yourself we can walk you through the process. Its so easy, and you will save a ton!!
    @gymrat , I have never used SA peels and I do not have serious acne. Just a few bumps. Thankfully I haven't used any exfoliants

  10. #8
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,121
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowApple View Post
    Thanks Gymie. Thank fully she rescheduled so I could cancel but I'm not in the US so I can't get a chemical peel solution readily available. I have a friend coming in from the US though so I can order. If you can advice me on what to buy I should be ready to attempt it by Nov. TBH I really can't afford the treatment by I'm not happy with my face right now. And I planned to have monthly facials at the spa but if I can do it on my own, I'm not averse to saving money. Thanks GYmie.
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowApple View Post
    @gymrat, I have never used SA peels and I do not have serious acne. Just a few bumps. Thankfully I haven't used any exfoliants
    Oh yes, save your $$, you can get amazing results just doing your peels at home. No need to pay someone to do it, you can get the same peels online. SA peels are great for those with acne, clogged pores, etc. But if this isn't something you struggle with, then no need to go through route.

    What kind of trouble are you wanting to fix?? I will gladly point you in the right direction........
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  11. #9
    Iopu I would go with lactic acid first and see how you like that. In due time you will build a tolerance for that and then if you still want to go with Glycolic acid 30% you can switch over to glycolic at a later date. My neck area would sting at about 20% Lactic Acid but after about 5 or 6 weekly neck peels (or 1 round of peels) with LActic Acid 20% , I went up to about 30% LA on the next round. Which I'm currently on, and will be doing my 2nd peel of my 2nd round of peels on MONDAY morning for both my face and my neck. Anyways, when I did my 1st peel of round 2 at 30% LA my skin took it really well. So I'm trying to work my way up to 40% if I can, I won't have to keep diluting my LA peel each time. But I will be patient. I'm doing LA on my NECK and GA on my FACE. I've applied glycolic acid lotion at a low percentage and other acids on my face in the past and also retin A so my face can tolerate the 30% GA Peel. But i know it wouldn't have, had that been my first peel ever... I hope I can eventually get up to 40% GA and maybe even beyond in the future ... Hope the best for ya

  12. #10

  13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •