Need help with scarring on arms
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Need help with scarring on arms

Need help with scarring on arms

(cross-posted from scarring forum)
    Sorry for the cross post, but I'd like to get some advice, and thought maybe your guys over here would know more about acid peeling.

I got a demodex and scabies infection on my arms from my neighbor's cat, and it was very, very hard to get rid of. Now my arms are badly scarred and look like what they call "lizard skin." I've been using DIY 20% Vit. C serum daily, and it's helping a little, but not enough. I feel like I'm ready to try a glycolic acid peel now. I'm taking a trip in September and want my arms to look better by then.

What strength should I start with, and is it possible to make your own to save money? I'm on a pretty tight budget. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Try using LA peel and or lotion, and yes you can make your own. Lotioncrafters has Lactic Acid. To make a peel you use distilled water, to make a LA lotion you use a store bought lotion like Gold Bond. Anything that doesn't contain carbomer will work. @ mention me and I will help you with figures etc if you choose to make your own.
    http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lactic-acid-90-usp.html
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

@gymrat Is the LA better than the glycolic acid, and if so, why? I have read a lot, and it seems everyone recommends the glycolic for arms. I'm on a really tight budget, so I want the best solution. I looked at Lotioncrafters and they don't have the glycolic acid, but their LA is 90% and pretty cheap, too. Can you give me the dilution rates for peeling and lotion? THANKS!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kassie73 View Post
    @gymrat Is the LA better than the glycolic acid, and if so, why? I have read a lot, and it seems everyone recommends the glycolic for arms. I'm on a really tight budget, so I want the best solution. I looked at Lotioncrafters and they don't have the glycolic acid, but their LA is 90% and pretty cheap, too. Can you give me the dilution rates for peeling and lotion? THANKS!

LA and GA are similar, GA is more harsh on the skin, but works very similar to LA.

Here is Glycolic. Once you get your acid, tell me the % of acid you have and what % of peel you want to use then I can do the figures for you.

They also carry Lactic Acid, but here is a link for glycolic
    http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/i...c_Acid_70_/152

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    LA and GA are similar, GA is more harsh on the skin, but works very similar to LA.

Here is Glycolic. Once you get your acid, tell me the % of acid you have and what % of peel you want to use then I can do the figures for you.

They also carry Lactic Acid, but here is a link for glycolic
    http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/i...c_Acid_70_/152
    I think at this point, I need to start slowly, so maybe lactic would be better. I'm going to use it on my face and my arms, and I've never peeled either before. What strength would you recommend for a peeling virgin? The skin on my arms is very, very thick and tough because of all the scarring, so medium strength to start? I'm not sure what medium strength even is. I've seen people say to use 25% glycolic on your arms, so probably whatever that would be in the lactic. I have to trust you, because I'm ignorant of any of this stuff, other than what I've read.

Like I said, I'm using the 20% Vit c serum and it took a couple of weeks and a really rough scrubbing on my arms to feel any kind of tingling. Also took a week for feel anything on my face, and it's never gotten red at all. Lots of years of baking in the sun with only baby oil and also lots of years of gardening without sunscreen, so my skin is probably pretty thickened.

I can start low and see what happens, then go up, so you can give me different formulations. I'm going to buy the 90% lactic for now, and see how that goes. I'm pretty good at math if you just want to give me formulas. Thank you so much for your help.

I think at this point, I need to start slowly, so maybe lactic would be better. I'm going to use it on my face and my arms, and I've never peeled either before. What strength would you recommend for a peeling virgin? The skin on my arms is very, very thick and tough because of all the scarring, so medium strength to start? I'm not sure what medium strength even is. I've seen people say to use 25% glycolic on your arms, so probably whatever that would be in the lactic. I have to trust you, because I'm ignorant of any of this stuff, other than what I've read.

Like I said, I'm using the 20% Vit c serum and it took a couple of weeks and a really rough scrubbing on my arms to feel any kind of tingling. Also took a week for feel anything on my face, and it's never gotten red at all. Lots of years of baking in the sun with only baby oil and also lots of years of gardening without sunscreen, so my skin is probably pretty thickened.

I can start low and see what happens, then go up, so you can give me different formulations. I'm going to buy the 90% lactic for now, and see how that goes. I'm pretty good at math if you just want to give me formulas. Thank you so much for your help.

Lactic nor glycolic will make you "peel" per se. They will both give you a good exfoliation, but not peel, just flakiness if anything. What I would do is go to MUAC web site and read about the different acids and how they work
    http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/A...eels_c_53.html

As far as calculations go for a lactic peel using 90% concentration. If you mixed equal parts with distilled water that would give you 45% peel. But you only want to mix a small amount because it will not last more than a few days.

@gymrat I think from what I've read, I'm sticking with glycolic. I'll do a series of glycolic peels and see what they do, and then if that doesn't work, I'll have to go to a doctor for a stronger solution. I've read all I can possibly read on peels, and everything says not to use TCA on your arms, then I saw a video of a woman who had a TCA on her arms and the before and after was amazing!

I'll go ahead and get glycolic, because I need something stronger than lactic, for sure. What concentration would you suggest I start with?

@gymrat Could you please give me the formulation for making a glycolic acid cream with the 40% and 50% serums (not sure which one to buy yet)? I used to use a 10% AHA cream with no problems, so I'm sure I'll be safe with that for daily use. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by kassie73; 04-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.

@gymrat or someone, do you have the formulation I asked for above? Thanks!

@gymrat Could you please give me the formulation for making a glycolic acid cream with the 40% and 50% serums (not sure which one to buy yet)? I used to use a 10% AHA cream with no problems, so I'm sure I'll be safe with that for daily use. Thank you so much.
    Wait so you are wanting to make a 40 or 50% GA cream?? That's a bit high. I would start off with 15% and move up from there. How much base are you using?? And what % is your GA?

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements