Skin Care Talk banner

Best base for Lactic Acid lotion??

37K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  Emzzy 
#1 ·
I'm really new to this. I've been researching a bit and bought 88% Lactic Acid, waiting for it to arrive. I'm trying to find the best base lotion for my LA lotion. I was going to use Cetaphil but was wondering if there's anything better. I want the lotion to stay thick. I've read about lotions breaking down and becoming runny. Has anyone used Equate's Gold Bond knock off or the Aveeno or Lubriderm equivalents? I've also read it's best to stay away from Carbomer and none of those lotions have it. Another thing, could I just add it to a DIY body butter? I make one using shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, a splash of sesame seed oil and apricot kernel oil, grapefruit essential oil and a bit of beeswax. It's a a little firm in the cold months but light and airy in warmer months. Thanks in advance! :)

#2 ·
Any lotion will be fine as long as it doesn't contain "carbomer". LA lotions can become runny that's why it's best to make small batches so it can get used up quickly. You should be able to add it to your body butter I don't see anything wrong with that. What % were you trying to make?

#4 ·
Ok now it's working.. Anyway, I've been reading Goatie's thread, "Sheep LOOK Lactic Lotion", and I've found that Gold Bond is a good thick lotion that won't thin out. So I picked up the Equate version because I'm cheap lol. Looks, feels, and smells like the real thing. Just waiting on my Lactic Acid now.

I'm going to make a 12% batch for my body to start out with. I have 88% LA and my final product will be about 100grams(about 3.5oz)
So 88x=12(100)
88x=1200
1200/88 = 13.6
I'll need about 13.6 grams of LA or about 2 and 3/4 teaspoons. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still unsure about the conversion of ml, grams to oz, teaspoons and what not. I've just been using a conversion calculator online so hopefully it's accurate.

#5 ·
Thick or not if you add LA to it and just let it sit around and don't use it eventually it will start to get loose.

You can compare ounces to milliliters it's better leave grams alone lol. That calculator should be accurate nothing to worry about but let me double check it.

#30 ·
I'm not sure on how much but how much is enough to use for amlactin? I use the ASDM 70% i currently moved up because i was at 50% a month ago
I agree with Gymmie if you haven't use LA before just use AmLactin by itself because it already has 12% so start with that and work your way up.

Wait you're using a GA lotion right now? I wouldn't recommend using them both.

#31 ·
I agree with Gymmie if you haven't use LA before just use AmLactin by itself because it already has 12% so start with that and work your way up. Wait you're using a GA lotion right now? I wouldn't recommend using them both. [/QUOTE

@PrettyGirlNae i added 3tbsp of a 90% of LA to Amlactin(20 oz) to higher the dose to about 20% im guessing used it for month. I got a new bottle of Amlactin and want to increase it to 40% how much will i need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.