Skin Care Talk banner

Kojic Acid and Lactic Acid help in India

9K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  mohibeastmode 
#1 ·
Hello,

I bought Kojic acid from Ebay.com. It has to be mixed with lotion is fragrance and co lour free. Sadly in India I am not able to get a lotion like that. Can I mix it will aloevera gel and apply on my body? I have 100% cold processed aloevera gel.

Lotion Crafters doesn't ship to India. I was able to find several European and US sellers who ships to India. The shipping rates are 10 to 15 times higher than the product itself.

I want to lighten my body by two shades. I have uneven skin all over my body. Anyone from India here for guidance?

E

#2 ·
Type in on google.com "kojic acid lotion recipe" to see how to do it.

NO! No gel. Its water soluble. The aloe wont do any lightening. Why did u buy kojic if u dont have the necessity to make the lotion?

@ektagupta

#4 · (Edited)
Hello,

I bought Kojic acid from Ebay.com. It has to be mixed with lotion is fragrance and co lour free. Sadly in India I am not able to get a lotion like that ...

Not necessarily. KA is water soluble, so any water based lotion/cream will do. Fragrance and color will not affect your KA lotion/cream. Check the ingredients list - if water/aqua is listed first, then your good to go.

Here's a thread on DIY KA lotion to guide you. @Ekta Gupta

http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/52097-DIY-KA-Lotion-Success-Stories

@kajal & @ayr are in India too and I'm sure they'll be happy to help and will guide you on finding stuff there.

#5 ·
Not necessarily. KA is water soluble, so any water based lotion/cream will do. Fragrance and color will not affect your KA lotion/cream. Check the ingredients list - if water/aqua is listed first, then your good to go.

Here's a thread on DIY KA lotion to guide you. @Ekta Gupta

http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthread.php/52097-DIY-KA-Lotion-Success-Stories

@kajal & @ayr are in India too and I'm sure they'll be happy to help and will guide you on finding stuff there.
@AIME hey...hows it going babe?
You can buy KA from Indiamart, amazon, ebay....KA is water soluable so use water based lotion. I personally never ordered and formulated anything related to KA however gone closer to it with enquiries.

#14 ·
I thought I can mix with my body lotion and use. I am looking for water based body lotion. Is the recipe?

Mix Kojic Acid Powder Into Commercial Lotions for Optimum Effectiveness

To mix kojic acid into an already made commercial lotion takes your undivided attention to not over heat.

Ho to mix kojic acid powder into lotions:

All soaps and lotions require some heat in the manufacturing process but getting them too hot will destroy the enzymes and vitamins. When adding extra ingredients to an already made lotion heating works to dissolve kojic acid faster and makes it watery so it is easy to work with. So to mix kojic acid into your favorite lotion the trick is to know the limit that you can warm your lotion to and stay well under that so that all of the ingredients stay effective.

Over-heating will also harm the preservative system, this is usually why a re-heated lotion or cream will become dark brown and become rancid faster. (Expect some lotions to take on a little tan color when you mix kojic acid into them due to that is the color of quality kojic acid. Avoid the inferior Chinese pure white being sold)

If you think you have overheated your lotion than keeping it in the refrigerator would be a good idea, use an air tight zip lock baggy to store your bottle of lotion in to prevent odor contamination. If you fear that you may over-heat your lotion then use the “stand in hot tap water till it becomes watery method” will do fine.

If you mix commercial lotions like this often then you could buy a natural preservative and add .5 percent during cool down when below 100F to fix this (We use Linatural from Organic Creations). To mix kojic acid we consider 120F – 49C max but staying closer to 115F or under is better. Even if your lotion stays gritty from under-heating even after stirring well, it will completely dissolve in a day or two, just shake a couple of times a day if this is the case.

So step by step guide to mix kojic acid:
1. Empty lotion into suitable double boiler pan or microwavable container (Glass Pyrex is best for microwave) or just let the glass mixing bowl stand in hot tap water (takes longer).
2. Heat lotion until watery to 100 – 115 Fahrenheit = 47 Celsius MAX (Do not add kojic acid yet)
3. Remove lotion from heat source
4. Add and mix kojic acid while stirring until dissolved, you may use a stick blender (if your container is deep enough) for just a few seconds if you wish. Keep blender submerged and pulse to avoid sucking air into the lotion. When you mix kojic acid into lotions in large quantities a stick blender is ideal. But when mixing small amounts it is just an option. In any case mixing lotion that is under-heated may stay slightly gritty but kojic acid is water soluble and will completely dissolve in a day or two without re-heating.
5. Pour back into lotion or cream container while still liquid (This is where heating to the upper limit makes this easier). A small funnel may be needed.
Mix kojic acid in the following amounts

(NOTE: It is not the higher percentage strengths of kojic acid, but it is the everyday application that makes kojic acid effective. Plus high percentages can cause skin irritation in long-term use requiring you to stop your daily regimen. 2% is normal, use 1% if you have sensitive skin)

237ml lotion

5g = 2 level teaspoons. Add to 8oz for 2.16% lotion
2.5g = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 8oz for 1.08% lotion

119ml lotion

2.5g = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 2.16% lotion
1.25g = 1/2 teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 1.08% lotion

Notes:

Creams and lotions are made up of a high water content usually 50 to 80 percent water and the remainder are oils, additives and an emulsifier that allows oil and water to mix (the difference in creams and lotions is mainly water content, creams being lower in water & higher in oils, usually). When you mix kojic acid powder it dissolves due to the water content and when the lotion is heated first slightly it will dissolve and incorporate faster and helps your lotion to not be gritty from undissolved kojic acid, but if it is a little gritty at first it will eventually dissolve without re-heating.

Making your own lotions from scratch is the best way for longest shelf life and effectiveness. We will be adding guides that teach you how to make your own lotions that are optimized for skin whitening and are super effective when you mix kojic acid in them. Currently we are updating our website and will add those soon to our member’s area along with 50% off kojic acid prices for members only.

When you make your lotion from scratch properly by never overheating, the shelf life is over a year with a functioning preservative system.

• 250ml plain lotion. No scent. No colour.
  • Thermometer

#16 ·
I thought I can mix with my body lotion and use. I am looking for water based body lotion. Is the recipe?

Mix Kojic Acid Powder Into Commercial Lotions for Optimum Effectiveness

To mix kojic acid into an already made commercial lotion takes your undivided attention to not over heat.

Ho to mix kojic acid powder into lotions:

All soaps and lotions require some heat in the manufacturing process but getting them too hot will destroy the enzymes and vitamins. When adding extra ingredients to an already made lotion heating works to dissolve kojic acid faster and makes it watery so it is easy to work with. So to mix kojic acid into your favorite lotion the trick is to know the limit that you can warm your lotion to and stay well under that so that all of the ingredients stay effective.

Over-heating will also harm the preservative system, this is usually why a re-heated lotion or cream will become dark brown and become rancid faster. (Expect some lotions to take on a little tan color when you mix kojic acid into them due to that is the color of quality kojic acid. Avoid the inferior Chinese pure white being sold)

If you think you have overheated your lotion than keeping it in the refrigerator would be a good idea, use an air tight zip lock baggy to store your bottle of lotion in to prevent odor contamination. If you fear that you may over-heat your lotion then use the “stand in hot tap water till it becomes watery method” will do fine.

If you mix commercial lotions like this often then you could buy a natural preservative and add .5 percent during cool down when below 100F to fix this (We use Linatural from Organic Creations). To mix kojic acid we consider 120F – 49C max but staying closer to 115F or under is better. Even if your lotion stays gritty from under-heating even after stirring well, it will completely dissolve in a day or two, just shake a couple of times a day if this is the case.

So step by step guide to mix kojic acid:
1. Empty lotion into suitable double boiler pan or microwavable container (Glass Pyrex is best for microwave) or just let the glass mixing bowl stand in hot tap water (takes longer).
2. Heat lotion until watery to 100 – 115 Fahrenheit = 47 Celsius MAX (Do not add kojic acid yet)
3. Remove lotion from heat source
4. Add and mix kojic acid while stirring until dissolved, you may use a stick blender (if your container is deep enough) for just a few seconds if you wish. Keep blender submerged and pulse to avoid sucking air into the lotion. When you mix kojic acid into lotions in large quantities a stick blender is ideal. But when mixing small amounts it is just an option. In any case mixing lotion that is under-heated may stay slightly gritty but kojic acid is water soluble and will completely dissolve in a day or two without re-heating.
5. Pour back into lotion or cream container while still liquid (This is where heating to the upper limit makes this easier). A small funnel may be needed.
Mix kojic acid in the following amounts

(NOTE: It is not the higher percentage strengths of kojic acid, but it is the everyday application that makes kojic acid effective. Plus high percentages can cause skin irritation in long-term use requiring you to stop your daily regimen. 2% is normal, use 1% if you have sensitive skin)

237ml lotion

5g = 2 level teaspoons. Add to 8oz for 2.16% lotion
2.5g = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 8oz for 1.08% lotion

119ml lotion

2.5g = 1 level teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 2.16% lotion
1.25g = 1/2 teaspoon. Add to 4oz for 1.08% lotion

Notes:

Creams and lotions are made up of a high water content usually 50 to 80 percent water and the remainder are oils, additives and an emulsifier that allows oil and water to mix (the difference in creams and lotions is mainly water content, creams being lower in water & higher in oils, usually). When you mix kojic acid powder it dissolves due to the water content and when the lotion is heated first slightly it will dissolve and incorporate faster and helps your lotion to not be gritty from undissolved kojic acid, but if it is a little gritty at first it will eventually dissolve without re-heating.

Making your own lotions from scratch is the best way for longest shelf life and effectiveness. We will be adding guides that teach you how to make your own lotions that are optimized for skin whitening and are super effective when you mix kojic acid in them. Currently we are updating our website and will add those soon to our member’s area along with 50% off kojic acid prices for members only.

When you make your lotion from scratch properly by never overheating, the shelf life is over a year with a functioning preservative system.

• 250ml plain lotion. No scent. No colour.
  • Thermometer
Hi Ekta, I'm based out of India. I bought KA from Indiamart too an dformulate my own lotions. KA is the easiest to work with and you can use any lotion like Aime mentioned. It just has to be a water based lotion. Go for Johnsons baby lotion. Reheating the lotion is not required. And its better that you work in small quantities an use up the lotion every week. KA is unstable and can oxidise quickly.My suggestion is to make it in 100 ml quantities and store it in fridge

To make a 5% Kojic Lotion (slightly less than 5% actually)
Take 100 ml lotion and dissolve 1 teaspoon (5mg) of kojic acid powder. Use one of those measuring spoons. Mix till it is completely dissolved. Sometimes you may have to let it sit for a couple of hours and it will get dissolved over time) If it is still gritty use a table spoon or 2 of distilled water. Store in fridge in a opaque bottle (or cover it in black plastic bag) after every use.

#17 ·
I'm planning to buy beta arbutin from India mart and formulate a 10% lotion. It supposedly is very effective. And its usually better to buy it in 1 kg packs because enquiring for anything less than that makes them think we are a novice and they try to over charge us. Do you guys want to do a group buy where we buy in bulk and split the costs? Let me know if anyone is interested.

#22 ·
Hey thanks. I making my batch tonight. Where did you bought your KA from Indiamart? They want bulk orders, isnt it? Can you share your seller details pls and how much it costed? Why do you use KA? I have permanent sun tanning and want to get rid of that. I am of wheatish complexion and love my skin but these uneven tanning is a mess.

E

#24 ·
I dont remember who the seller was. It's been a while. And I checked both Indiamart and tradeindia.
Anyway it wasn't a good bargain . He charged me too much for 1 Kg. Almost 7-8k Rs. I couldve bought it for less if I had asked around and bargained a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.