Chemical Peeling: What to Expect Before, During, and After
Page 1 of 34 1 2 11 Last

Thread: Chemical Peeling: What to Expect Before, During, and After

A lot of you are embarking on the chemical peeling journey. It is essential for you to do at least one chemical peel after you have used the HQ/RA or other skin bleaching cream for a while. The chemical peel will furthur enhance your lightening creams and provide greater clarity to your skin. Here is all you need to know about Chemical Peels.

If you want to diminish fine lines and wrinkles, skin discoloration, a dull complexion, or rough skin, your dermatologist may recommend a cosmetic procedure called a chemical peel. The following explains what happens before, during, and after this procedure.

What to Expect Before a Chemical Peel

A consultation is essential. Your dermatologist will take a complete medical history. Be sure to tell your dermatologist if you are prone to cold sores, have had a cosmetic procedure in the past, scar easily or have ever had a type of raised scar known as a keloid, or took isotretinoin (a prescription medication used to treat severe acne). These can have a tremendous effect on what you see after a chemical peel.

After the consultation and a physical exam that includes a close look at your skin, your dermatologist will tell you if a chemical peel will help diminish the signs of aging that concern you and if a chemical peel is right for you.

If a chemical peel is appropriate, one of the following types of peels will be recommended:

Most medium and deep chemical peels require pre-peel skin care. Usually prescribed for 2 to 4 weeks before the peel, this skin-care plan helps the peel deliver the best results and reduce potential side effects. The plan should be carefully followed.

What to Expect During a Chemical Peel

Superficial and medium-depth peels are performed in a dermatologist’s office. A deep peel may be performed in a dermatologist’s office or outpatient surgical center. General (puts the patient to sleep) anesthesia and monitoring equipment for the heart and lungs may be necessary for a deep peel.

Before applying the peel, the skin is prepped. Once the skin is ready, the dermatologist quickly and evenly applies the peel. If a deep peel is being performed, the skin will be treated one small section at a time to limit effects on the heart and lungs. Typically, a 20-minute interval between each application of the peel solution is necessary with a deep peel.

As the peel works, the dermatologist watches the skin carefully so that the peel can be stopped and removed at the appropriate time. After the peel is removed, cool compresses may be applied to help soothe the skin. These are usually not necessary for a superficial peel.

A mild lotion or cream may be applied after a superficial or medium-depth peel to help soothe the skin. After a deep peel, surgical dressing will be used to protect the treated skin.

What to Expect After a Chemical Peel

The chemical used in this cosmetic procedure causes the skin to peel off. Over the next 1 to 14 days, new skin will appear.

All peels require some follow-up care. You will be given specific instructions to follow, which will include everything from how to wash your skin to sun protection. It is important to keep in mind that sun exposure and smoking after a chemical peel can cause unwanted side effects, including infection and scarring.

The following table shows what to expect after each type of peel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thanks LNL this is perfect. Now if I mess things up I will only have myself to blame!!
    If life is bugging you just say MEH!!!

Ohmygosh...thank you!!! I'm not doing one anytime soon but it's still very useful for me. Cleared up a lot of uncertainty I had concerning what to expect ^_^

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Awesome post, LNL. Thanks!

Excellent!!
    'Do I love you because you're beautiful,
    Or are you beautiful because I love you?'
    ~Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, Cinderella

This is good info, I'll stick with the retin-a for now. but as I adjust I'll move up and try these too. thanks

BUMP for Mony: the Lactic Acid peel - look for superficial type in the chart. For TCA depending on the strength look for Medium to Deep Peel in the chart.

Awwwwww Nuts! And I thought I had done mine right!I read the instructions- tehy say to apply ointment if you really need to or something to that effect.... So I didn't..... I suffered the itches- after 3-4 days I used my microfibre cloth to try and coax someof those ugly scabs off my face.... (i still look better) but I'd probably look even better if I hadn't! Ding-Dang it! Leave to the girl way up North way out in the boonys to mess this one up!

Now I got one question for ya LNL

Depending if I get the job in question or not, I may be off during Xmas...so I wanna do it RIGHT this time! DO I NEED TO WEAR SUNSCREEN WHEN OR IF I HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE THE DAYS AFTER .... WHEN MY FACE IS ALL SCABBY?
    Cause yes If I have the time I do plan on doing it again!
    And Ireally would like to gt it right!

FINALLY! Got the 15% on last night. Seems every time I am "ready" there is somewhere to go/do. LOL

Thank you LnL for the information. I was wondering if there are concerns for anyone about cold sores coming about with peels? I recall getting a script of Valtrex, I believe, during prep for a laser peel on the peri-oral area.
    Is this something some should be concerned with?

Also, is there a better method of application? I first use cotton round all over, wait 5 minutes then do a soaked cotton swab over areas that need a little more ooomph. But I feel as if I have missed spots. HELP!

ETA: After healing of two weeks I will do another 15%. After the next two week healing I will do an 18%. I am also going to be wearing alot of green I think just for the holidays. It will look sooo nice with the very red face.

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements