Regimen Help! For Basic Skin Care
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Regimen Help! For Basic Skin Care

  1. #1

    Regimen Help! For Basic Skin Care

    Ah. Well I'm allergic to everything including air I think. Seriously though, here's my Hit List
    betaine
    parabens- and any type of "ben"
    sodium-lauryls
    phenoxyethanol

    Cerave
    Dove
    Black Soap (all diff manufactures)
    Noxema (both Classic & Original <orig is worse!)
    proactive
    Scrubs
    Fragrances (any hint of fragrance)
    Shea Moisture Products for "problem skin"
    witch hazel
    oil olay cleansers/moisturizers

    The list goes on but I know there are many more.

    Right now, literally yesterday I bought Vanicream cleansing bar for sensitive skin, I've only used for one face washing so I can't attest to the goodness of it yet but soon hopefully it will work out. I use Vitamin E oil (pure, I can't remember but I want to say 14k IU's or whatever). I also like almond oil but I ran out so I'm using Vit E as a moisturizer.
    My forehead and nose (tzone) are oily. Around my mouth is usually dry as well as my jawline. My cheeks? Well there's the biggest problem. I don't know what they are, but when I break out it's usually there (as a teenager it was around my mouth).
    I've mixed AmLactin and grapeseed oil together with some success a couple years ago and I may try to start that up again.
    Idk, maybe I should do the caveman thing and just use water. Honestly, I don't have to worry about flareups when I do this but is that healthy?

    So maybe somebody has skin like mine. What worked for you? Any suggestions?


    *photos removed*

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Oh and another thing, sometimes when I wash my face with whatever I'm using my face will look really good, and then 3-5 min later the dark marks come....it's weird.

  4. #3
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,101
    Have you tried using a cleanser with salicylic acid? You can find them over the counter that contain 2% SA, again you don't have to use this AM and PM, just the PM is good if it dries you out too much. But salicylic will definitely help with the acne and help loosen up the clogged pores. As for the discoloration, are you using a sunscreen when you go outdoors?? If not, you need too!!

    With a little exfoliation and proper care you can fix anything, we are here to help!!
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Hi gymrat, yes...when I was in high school clean n clear products worked for me. Since then I've periodically tried to use salicylic acid products (randomly) but the "darkness comes" when I use it. Idk, maybe I'll just have to try more brands...hmm.
    Ok, you got me on the sunscreen...no..but I never really thought that that can be caused by the sun per se. I never really liked wearing it because I look washed out.
    Thank you so very much!!

  7. #5
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoMonday View Post
    Hi gymrat, yes...when I was in high school clean n clear products worked for me. Since then I've periodically tried to use salicylic acid products (randomly) but the "darkness comes" when I use it. Idk, maybe I'll just have to try more brands...hmm.
    Ok, you got me on the sunscreen...no..but I never really thought that that can be caused by the sun per se. I never really liked wearing it because I look washed out.
    Thank you so very much!!
    Give the salicylic acid cleaner another try. The other thing you can do is use apple cider vinegar mixed with equal parts of "distilled water" not tap water but distilled the kind you would use in an iron.....mix that up and use as a toner after you cleanse. It doesn't smell good (but goes away after awhile) if used faithfully it will do wonders for your pores. Helps keep them clean and clear.

    And YES, YES, YES, sunscreen needs to be your friend, that is exactly the cause of the hyperpigmentation. The sun is the devil............shade your face as much as you can when outside. We have a great sunscreen thread you can read through maybe it will help you get some brands to try

    http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthre...unblock-Debate
    http://www.skincaretalk.com/showthre...Sunscreen-List
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  8. #6
    Hi gymrat. Thank you for responding. Maybe I will give salicylic acid another try.
    So skin exposure is the cause of this?? Wow. That's crazy! I didn't know. All these years. Hmm I'll read through the link you gave. Thanks so much!!

  9. #7
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoMonday View Post
    Hi gymrat. Thank you for responding. Maybe I will give salicylic acid another try.
    So skin exposure is the cause of this?? Wow. That's crazy! I didn't know. All these years. Hmm I'll read through the link you gave. Thanks so much!!
    I know....if only we would have know sooner, right? But its never too late to be proactive!! Now you know, so just be sure to invest in a good sunscreen. Not saying you are stuck with the damage forever you can do things like exfoliate, peels, etc to help remove the damage thats been done. It just takes time and isn't something that will happen over night. But it is possible, so do know that.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperpigmentation
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    I know....if only we would have know sooner, right? But its never too late to be proactive!! Now you know, so just be sure to invest in a good sunscreen. Not saying you are stuck with the damage forever you can do things like exfoliate, peels, etc to help remove the damage thats been done. It just takes time and isn't something that will happen over night. But it is possible, so do know that.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperpigmentation
    Yes, I think I'm on page 37 or something on that sunscreen thread. Very interesting. So far it looks like I might pick up some Alba ss with the zinc. Im in florida but its still winter. On a whim I grabbed some CVS brand zinc SS, only has 6% zinc but it's a start. Yes it will take some time...SAP SAP SAP! Thank you soooo much!!!

  11. #9
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoMonday View Post
    Yes, I think I'm on page 37 or something on that sunscreen thread. Very interesting. So far it looks like I might pick up some Alba ss with the zinc. Im in florida but its still winter. On a whim I grabbed some CVS brand zinc SS, only has 6% zinc but it's a start. Yes it will take some time...SAP SAP SAP! Thank you soooo much!!!
    Yes, 6% is better than nothing. I don't wear much more than 12%-15% during the winter, I'm in California and its been raining buckets lately so I haven't worn any SS the last few weeks. I am actually headed to Miami in a few weeks, praying for decent weather.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  12. #10
    You know, I've never been to Miami once. LOL. I really need to get there. The weather I'm sure is going to be awesome. When it gets below 60* I think Miami shuts down, I think it's law. lol. I hope you have a great time!

  13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •