Weirdest Question EVER but DIY washing water? Help!

Thread: Weirdest Question EVER but DIY washing water? Help!

  1. #1

    Weirdest Question EVER but DIY washing water? Help!

    Sorry for this profoundly strange question! I hope one of you guys will be able to give me some advice! We have horrible, hard, alkaline tap water at home that really dries my skin. Diva-ish as it sounds I have taken to rinsing off my cleanser with thermal waters from France and Italy in an aerosol can. I found lovely, low pH ones (5.5 and 4.5) which really make a huge difference to my easily stressed skin.

    I was wondering, would it be possible to add a few drops of Lactic Acid to a spray bottle using distilled water in order to create a simple water spray of pH5.5 to wash off my cleanser with? Distilled water is around pH7. I would, of course, use a pH meter to ensure the correct mix. This would be used up within a week so I don't plan on adding preservatives. I was wondering if the LA dilution would be so minuscule that I could use this mixture liberally to wash my face 1x per day without any fear of irritation? (I am leaning towards LA due to its moisturising properties as opposed to Apple Cider Vinegar.

    Kind thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Why not use citric acid since your aim is to lower the ph of the water?

  4. #3
    I like the idea of Lactic Acid for its skin conditioning properties.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    SCT Elite ajoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ghana
    Posts
    2,411
    @Buzzfill you can add lactic acid but I dnt know the measuring for cleaner. @gymrat may be of help.

  7. #5
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,352
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoa View Post
    @Buzzfill you can add lactic acid but I dnt know the measuring for cleaner. @gymrat may be of help.
    Great to see you @ajoa , Happy New Year my friend
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  8. #6
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzfill View Post
    I like the idea of Lactic Acid for its skin conditioning properties.
    What % is your lactic acid and what % are you wanting to make with your distilled water?

    4 ounces of distilled water mixed with 4 teaspoons of 90% LA will give you 3%.

    To know if it will irritate your skin or not, is something you will have to try for yourself. Everyones skin is different. What works for one does not work for all. Do a patch test somewhere to know how your skin will react.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    What % is your lactic acid and what % are you wanting to make with your distilled water?

    4 ounces of distilled water mixed with 4 teaspoons of 90% LA will give you 3%.

    To know if it will irritate your skin or not, is something you will have to try for yourself. Everyones skin is different. What works for one does not work for all. Do a patch test somewhere to know how your skin will react.
    Hi Gymrat Thank you for chiming in.

    For rinsing off my cleanser, I currently use a pure, 100% natural thermal spring water spray from Italy and would actually continue to do so but the supplier has gone *poof* and I can't find it anywhere I have searched to no avail for another pH 5.5 thermal water spray (all your big name sprays Avene, Evian etc. are around pH 7.2 plus.)

    What I actually want to achieve here is not an active, per say, and certainly NOT an exfoliant but as pure a water as possible with a pH of 5.5 (ish). I figured that adding lactic acid drop by drop to distilled water to a glass spray bottle and using it up in a week, say, would perhaps achieve what I'm trying to attempt. I was unsure whether the amount of LA necessary to achieve this may have a detrimental effect on the skin for washing. I literally aim to make very slightly acidic water here which will agree with my reactive skin. If I could find low mineral acidic water ready made here in the UK, all the better! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this little endeavour and thank you kindly in advance.

  10. #8
    SCT Elite ajoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ghana
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Great to see you @ajoa, Happy New Year my friend
    happy New year to you too @gymrat

  11. #9
    Administrator gymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Where The Sun Shines
    Posts
    31,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzfill View Post
    Hi Gymrat Thank you for chiming in.

    For rinsing off my cleanser, I currently use a pure, 100% natural thermal spring water spray from Italy and would actually continue to do so but the supplier has gone *poof* and I can't find it anywhere I have searched to no avail for another pH 5.5 thermal water spray (all your big name sprays Avene, Evian etc. are around pH 7.2 plus.)

    What I actually want to achieve here is not an active, per say, and certainly NOT an exfoliant but as pure a water as possible with a pH of 5.5 (ish). I figured that adding lactic acid drop by drop to distilled water to a glass spray bottle and using it up in a week, say, would perhaps achieve what I'm trying to attempt. I was unsure whether the amount of LA necessary to achieve this may have a detrimental effect on the skin for washing. I literally aim to make very slightly acidic water here which will agree with my reactive skin. If I could find low mineral acidic water ready made here in the UK, all the better! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this little endeavour and thank you kindly in advance.
    Try adding a few drops of vinegar and or try using citric acid if you are trying to lower the pH. Sorry thought you were wanting to add LA to your spritzer.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

  12. #10
    Thank you so much! Will do!

  13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •