Skin Care Talk banner

Purging from OCM

222K views 241 replies 46 participants last post by  ocres 
#1 ·
How long does it last and at what point to do just say "this is too much"?

Do you just power on thru and keep using the oils or do you stop and wait for the purging to subside?

Do you use your regular anti-zit medication while you are doing OCM?

I have tried various combinations of OCM and every time I get terrible purging...when my skin was good to begin with and clear! Any amount of castor oil especially gives me problems, but even grapeseed oil does this. Plain olive oil...same thing. Olio lusso not so bad, but it doesn't rinse cleanly. I feel like there's a nasty film on my skin trapping the dirt in and clogging my pores. Is this what's happening?

I don't get purging from DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, so I'm thinking that I'm not getting the oil completely off my skin, even tho I rinse for at least 5 minutes with hot water. DHC has an emulsifier that makes it rinse off cleanly with just one rinse. Should I be using a foaming cleanser after the OCM?

Thanks for any advice!

#31 ·
Sorry, peri, but I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole. There are a LOT of parabens in this product. Glad it works for you!

fawnie, obviously the Lusso oil mix with the grapeseed isn't working for you. First, I'm guessing the grapeseed is solvent extracted. I know I've seen your formula but I don't recall what's in it at the moment. Not sure why you are using it as a cleanser, as it seems more like a serum. There is something amiss here and I really want to figure it out for you, sweetie.

Yes, sophie, I apply it to damp skin, not dry skin.

fawnie, use the lecithin anyway. The amount is so minimal it isn't worth fussing over just because it's soy based.

#33 ·
Yeah, I really don't think I'd try the OCM. It doesn't really matter that oil solubility is the key to the method, if your pores don't play along then you end up with problems.

I guess if you're intent on trying the OCM then maybe a precleansing would be the best idea.

#34 ·
I use this as a pre-cleanser. I remove my makeup and crap off my face with the oil then I use african black soap to get the oil off. It works well for my doing this way. I've been using oil for the last 8+ months now. No major breakouts. I have 1 or 2 in these few months because I keep touching my face which is BAAAAD.

#35 ·
Hi Fawnie,
I've been using the DHC diluted with sunflower seed oil because I have had dry skin. It comes right off with the steaming. You might try to add something to your DHC for oily skin.
My daughter has been using castor, jojoba and a drop of rosehip. She has oily skin and acne and she is loving this method. She says that her skin has not been getting oily all day.
I'm so sorry that your having troubles. It has truly helped my dryness and large pores.
Keep us updated! Wish you luck!!

#37 ·
Fawie, I think as with absolutely everything there are just some things which don't suit some people. I started using the OCM recently and loved the feeling, its beyond relaxing and my skin did feel wonderful afterwards. However I did get a few zits in the following days. Purging? Perhaps, but I haven't had a red painful type zit in years and its pretty uncharacteristic for my skin, I tend to get tiny millia/clogged pores rather than 'zit' zits. Surely if I was purging I would have seen some zits like this emerging on their own over recent years?
Then I saw this video on youtube:
YouTube - Important Video For Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) Users
She was doing the OCM twice daily which is obviously way too much but if your find you are breaking out more now with the OCM than you were before than maybe it just doesn't suit your skin?

#39 ·
Interesting video, Krystal. As she mentioned, everyone's skin is different and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.

I use the OCM about 2 to 3 times a week max.

#41 ·
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who didn't have luck w/ OCM. After reading so much about it on SCT, I felt left out, as if I was missing something! So one day a week or two ago, I tried OCM using 20% Castor, 40% Rice Bran and 40% EV Olive, and it turned out to be a horrible experience! I was too embarassed to post about it because I figured surely I screwed something up (I'm still convinced I screwed up, but this thread has reversed my hesitation to talk about it..."Hi, I'm Sarah, and I often pay a dire price for experimenting on myself, but I seldom have the courage to come forward and talk about it on SCT!!") Like Fawnie mentioned earlier, I, too, simultaenously (and paradoxically) felt oily, raw and dry after trying OCM. And that raw feeling didn't go away for a good two days. It even made me LOOK raw.

But the little bottle of OCM I mixed up made an amazingly moisturizing lube for shaving my legs!!! (though the razor had to be de-gunked every few passes
)

#46 ·
Fawnie, I am sorry you are having skin issues right now.
Just know it will pass. I promise you it won't stay broken out forever. I have faith that you will pull something out of your trunk of goods that will help clear up your face. You have too fawnie, you are the skincare

Life is all about trial and error, just wish zits weren't included in there-

#45 ·
Oh no... sorry to hear the OCM is not working out for you Fawnie and all

I have had great luck using the Grapeseed oil, which I just found out was also an astringent oil
, with the Castor oil and using the Oral B (with different heads than the one I use for my teeth of course). I felt like the toothbrush head was what really helped to "clean" out the poors and rid my nose of the ugly blackheads. Using the oil and washcloth exclusively does sound rather oily, though I understand that oil cuts the oil.

I had also been starting the OCM using dry skin and not wet. My skin had never felt so clean and soft. It's a shame I find out via this thread, that I had been using this method the wrong way.

Hopefully your skin clears up soon and nicely.

#48 ·
See Fawnie, we really are twins. I don't tolerate ocm either, not exactly that bad as in your case, but it does break me out, and those are not the purging kind of breakouts, I can't be purging anymore, not after the purges with retinol, aha/bha's and microfiber and tanaka. Ocm is just breaking me out. Period. So ocm is not for me, unless I use mineral oil (don't blame me, my skin loves that stuff).
Might be good time to try salt+water paste on those le zits.

Or go the advanced stuff and so as LnL suggests.

#53 ·
Oh no!! You too Peri? That really stinks. Use that dermawand of yours and see if it will help.

Fawnie, you too, whip out the ol Baby Q and see if it might help dry up those new friends of yours.

#60 ·
I think for zits closer to the surface of the skin, hydrogen peroxide would be more beneficial than harmful... for exactly that reason LnL. The oxygenation is exactly what your pores need.

If they are deep, corticosteroids are probz your best bet (hydrocortisone et all).

I felt bad when I saw all the posts about OCM start springing up here... I had a feeling this might happen.

Sorry for all... and you'll be back to perfect before long Fawnie! No worries!

#69 ·
Hyrdrogen peroxide causes tissue destruction at the wound edges which can make healing slower.

So when you apply hydrogen peroxide and you see it foaming and white, yeah it's killing bad tissue but also kills off the good tissue which does more harm than good. And with the good tissue being dissolved it will take longer for the skin to heal.

#70 ·
That's the thing: Why should I even get purging in the first place?

My skin was fine before this little misadventure. In fact I had gone thru another round of purging since recently starting up with RAM again, and got thru that just fine. What could be left to purge????? I just think it's all the oil clogging up the pores.

Waaaaaaaaaa

#76 ·
I don't know about you fawnie, but I use oil on my furniture as a polish, it soaks right in and looks lovely. Doing that killed the idea of thinking the same oil would work on cleansing my face-somehow that OCM theory never seemed right in my mind-

I am sorry that you have to go through this, next time please listen to mama rat-

#71 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by fawnie

I've ackshully injected a few my own self and it left a crater and a dark spot each time. I used Kenalog, but forgot what %. H@ll to the YES it hurt!!! Right between my eyebrows once.

I know Clinique uses HC in some of their products, but I don't like using it at all.

Yea, they say that about hydrocortisone dermal injections:

Quote: Originally Posted by

Injection of SOLU-CORTEF may result in dermal and/or subdermal changes forming
depressions in the skin at the injection site. In order to minimize the incidence of dermal
and subdermal atrophy, care must be exercised not to exceed recommended doses in
injections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.