Skin Care Talk banner

Freddy's Skin Care Blog

44K views 307 replies 47 participants last post by  Freddy2020 
#1 ·
I've decided to start this small blog so people can follow my progress and perhaps use some of my findings to help themselves in their quest for flawless skin. I'll start with a little background of myself.

I'm 24 years old and of hispanic decent, so I have light brown skin. It tans really fast, but this year I've avoided the sun and haven't gotten dark like previous years. My reason for wanting perfect skin is because I'm a perfectionist (with a mild case of OCD) and I feel that you need to be as close to perfect as possible (as vain as that sounds) before other elements in your life can be. Now, don't get me wrong and think that I'm some sort of ***, because I'm not, I just want perfect skin like everyone else on this board.

I'm known for being obsessed with skin care, spending lots of money on facials, lasers, cleaners, and everything in between. My budget for this continued project is $12,000 a year. With this I am able to work with almost anything on the market and report the progress back.

#5 ·
I agree with you completely Mikey, no one in the world has perfect skin, but the only way to reach 90% is to strive for 100%, no?

I'm under alot of stress right now because of a modeling contract that I missed so my skin is making me pay for it.

Generally speaking, I have very nice skin to the point where I get compliments on it, but right now I have a few deep pimples and some blackheads, which acutally annoy me more than the pimples.

I plan to address those with a facial the first weekend in September. I think we'll be doing some Microdermabrasion at the same time.

#3 ·
Freddy's Skin Care Rules

These are the rules that I'm going to put in place for myself in order to get to my objective of truly perfect skin.

1. Engage in period facial treatments at the spa for deep cleaning and safe removal of any impurities in the skin.

2. Use high quality facial products.

2. Use proper application techniques for these facial products.

3. Eat a balanced diet.

4. Drink at least 4 litres of water a day.

5. Sleep at least 8 hours a day.

6. Don't touch the face unless its to apply product and with clean hands.

7. Wash twice a day.

8. Never go to bed without washing regardless of how tired I am.

9. Avoid the sun.

10. Use sun protection if I do have to go into the sun.

11. Cut out the junk food.

12. On top of washing twice a day, wash immediately following a workout.

13. Reduce stress in life.

I'll edit this as I go along.

#7 ·
Bad start to the first day, ate crap all day and didn't drink enough water. I did supplement well though as I'm taking the GNC Hair, Skin, and Nail supplement. It says its for women on the label but the GNC guy told me that there is nothing in it that is specifically for women and they do that just because men don't really care about their skin. I also took my GNC multivitamin. I'm going to see how zinc plays in the role of clear skin.

My stress level is moderately high right now but my skin isn't punishing me for it, surprisingly enough since most times I do. Overall my skin is above average but still below my goal. I've got a facial book for Saturday at which point we'll see if I go for micro or not.

Sleep has been very good with 8 to 10 hours of sleep every night.

#8 ·
Took the skin care supplements today. Obviously I won't notice a change in that for a while. Here's my regimen for the skin;

Day
Face
Biore Cooling Cleanser with 2% SA
Vichy Homme Sensi-Baume Ca as Moisturizer
Biotherm Sun SPF 50 Multi-Protection Sun Cream

Body
Life Essentials Vitamin E Gel
Hawaiian Tropic SPF 30

Night
Face
Biore Cooling Cleanser with 2% SA
Biore Cooling Exfoliant with 2% SA
Vichy Homme Sensi-Baume Ca as Moisturizer

Body
Life Essentials Vitamin E Gel

Total Cost: C$125.00 or about US$125.00

#10 ·
Another **** day yesterday. Not feeling too good emotionally lately.

Today was better though, ate well and followed my skin care routine. Supplemented well too. I'm replacing pure water with Gatorade. I can't drink that much normal water, it needs flavour. I wonder how the sugar levels are going to affect my skin. More importantly the Gatorade has lots of salt in it so that might make the skin react badly to it. If things don't look good in a few weeks I think I might go with flavoured water instead.

#20 ·
I can't drink that much normal water, it needs flavour.
Nothing is more healthy than pure water!!
My favorite water is EVIAN (because it is absolutely tasteless).
Other bottled water have an after taste that I do not like.

I've read distilled water is best for drinking.
Not a nice after taste but I have been drinking so much of
it I am actually getting used to the taste and now I don't mind it.
It's about 86cents a gallon a Wal-Mart.

I've bought several gallons.
I keep a gallon at my desk.
I drink my water at room temperature.
I am going for drinking one gallon a day (3.7liters).

For those who cannot stand drinking water straight.
Here is a product to try is Capella Flavor Drops.

The original drops have many flavors to choose from:

Almond Joy
Amaretto
Banana Cream
Banana Nut Cream
Blueberry
Rocky Road
Boston Cream Pie
Butterfinger
Butterscotch
Caramel
Chocolate Caramel
Coconut
Chocolate Mint
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Orange Creamsicle
Chocolate Strawberry
Cinnamon
Cinnamon Sticky Bun* - Premium
New York Cheesecake

Many additional flavors!!
I think I'll start off with plain old Vanilla and work my way
up to the more colorful flavors.

I see they have new drops pacifically for water but only offer
about 6 six flavors.

I've tried the flavored water only to become dehydrated.
So I think I'll give these a shot.
I saw a couple of them listed on ebay a while ago and they
also sell on Amazon as well.

I think this will help those who do not like water.

#12 ·
Guess, Catherine.

So on Saturday I went for a facial with my aesthetician. Lots of extractions, lots of pain, but a very good facial overall. Almost two hours long. I never wash my face at night following a facial. My face is already clean and I like for everything to settle, so I don't touch it for a little while. Once I'm done with the post-facial treatment, I follow up with a hot shower to break down the scabs that form from the extractions. I've had very good results with these method.

I've been taking my supplements consistently. Following the facial and with an increase in water intake I've noticed more supple and smooth skin. Definately worth the money and time.

We decided to refrain from microdermabrasion until the end of October. I'll fill you all in when that time comes around.

#14 ·
Well, I noticed that the "Freddy's ?'s" thread got deleted. So, I guess I'll continue here. I haven't updated this in over a month as my enthusiams to do repeated posts on this thread quickly died down.

Continuing from my previous post, I went for Microdermabrasion yesterday. My skin acutally looked really bad after the session yesterday which included a facial. After the two hour process, which included about 20-30 minutes of micro and about another half hour of extractions, I was a bloodied painful mess.

Today, my skin looks alot better, although I have something that looks similar to scabs over the larger extractions. For some reason, since my last facial I developed some whiteheads near the eyebrows, which as an spa afficionado knows, is more of the more painful areas to get extracted, specially towards the outsides and near the temples. Those scabs are perfectly normal and in fact, keep additional bacteria from entering the area of extraction. Once dry though they will come off within a day or two with simply a hot shower.

I am continuing with the same products. I might switch away from the SA products in the coming season sicne the winter will inevitable dry out the skin in combination with the low humidity found in heated air in homes and building anways. Water intake has been good, although I will admit that I have been drinking other sources of liquid to complete water intake, not the best solution, but better than nothing at all. These sources include gatorade and energy drinks.

#18 ·
Microdermabrasion Review:

It was a great session, although after speaking with my cosmetic surgeon, a skin biopsy a month after treatment allegedly shows no changes in the skin. I think that's bullshit, because he offers the service himself as well and he was kind of telling me to stay away from the service at the spa and to go with him. I noticed a difference, he says there isn't, yet he sell the service: Go figure.

I do notice that there is definately a thickening in the skin, since with past experience I have been able to go higher in the intensity as the sessions went by. Since I hadn't done it for the entire summer we started off at 20 after my recommended, since my beloved aesthetician wanted to start at 26. I think that was a good call on my part since my skin feels somewhat dry a day following the procedure and I noticed a slight change in the skin's look and feel.

#19 ·
Tooth whitening:

I know this isn't exactly skin care, but it's about the appearance so I think I'll continue to add.

I've got very white teeth, and my secret to that was a large series of whitening follow by touch-ups every three to six months with Ivoclar's Vivadent whitening gel, which is only available at dentists'. I found that at the very beginning it make my teeth sensitive but with more applications it became more tolerable. Definately works and worth the cost.

#21 ·
OK I know I've posted this before but I feel it is important. Before consuming large amounts of water please, please check with your doctor. People can and have died from water intoxication I have read on this extensively but everyone should make their own informed decision and I would urge anyone who believes it is essential to drink large quantities of water to help the skin should talk with their doctor first and work out how much would be a safe amount.

#23 ·
Yes, I am aware of this and I don't plain on consuming so much that
I jeopardize my health just for good skin.
A women put herself into a coma.
BUT she was fasting (water fasting), drank nothing
but water. Very dangerous indeed!!!

Thanks Ivy.

#22 ·
Thanks for the heads up Ivy, but the chances of suffering from overhydration are very slim. It would be really hard for most people to drink that amount of water, and at the same time you'd have to be partaking in strenous physical activity which upsets the salt balance in the body (in which case an eletrolyte replacement drink would be ideal, such as Gatorade).

Moreover, I don't think that excessive quantities of water are necessary for good skin, but a reasonable amount is necessary. I will continue to advocate the consumption of water, as the average north america doesn't nearly drink enough water. Once again, thanks for the heads up though and it is indeed a fact that retarded amounts of water will cause overhydration.

#25 ·
Another update:

Well, there is some slight pigmentation remenants from the brutal extractions of the last facial. I'm not too worried about it since its normal and will go away with time. They're actually not too bad, to the point where I wouldn't mind doing a photoshoot on short notice if it were required. I don't touch those post inflamatory marks with lime, lemon, or any other type of citrus fruit.

#28 ·
Guys, come on here. Let's use a bit of common sense. We're talking about drinking healthy amounts of water in order to promote healthy skin, not about drinking water until you die. No one here has even mentioned drinking water to the point of death, which is obviously not the objective, nor is it even to the point where you have stomach discomfort, which would occur a long time before you die from drinking too much water.

#29 ·
Freddy,

I have read this blog and many of your other posts and you seem to be far more knowledged in all things skin care than I am, but I am learning.

May I ask you a few questions...I am curious what your starting point was before this blog and what results you see now, based on the following questions, since these are things most poeple can relate to and compare to their own experiences.

How are you pores? Invisible, small, medium or large?
Is your skin normal, dry, combination, or oily?
Do you have suface lines? If so, several, some, very few?

Thanks
Eric

#49 ·
Eric,

Sorry for the late response.

I have invisible to small pores. I try to keep them in check by having congestion removed via facials and Microdermabrasion.

I have combination skin in the winter and somewhat oily skin in the summer. I keep that under control actively changing products according to the needs of my skin.

I don't have any surface lines or wrinkles.

My skin tans very easily and is highly sensitive.

#31 ·
So, I'm not completely happy now with the products, well to be honest, I'm bored with them. I think I'm going to be changing back to the Tea Tree Oil line from The Body Shop; I'm going to report back once I pick my stuff up, which should be sometime this week. Hopefully. I also have another spa visit scheduled for this upcoming weekend. Good times...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.