Skin Care Talk banner

TCA Instructions

298K views 940 replies 168 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
http://www.tcapeels.com/how-to-use-a...el-at-home.htm
TCA 20% Peel Directions

( I buy mine MUAC )

Before doing TCA it helps BUT NOT necessary to do some type of exfoliation. Glycolic, Lactic or of course Retin A. Be sure to STOP about 5 days prior to the actual peel date.

For the first time, I suggest starting with 15%. Do a patch test on the side of your face near the jaw line with ONE layer. Wait the required 5 minutes then neutralize with 50/50 water/baking soda. If all goes well you can do the TCA peel but wait 24 hours after the test to be sure there is no reaction. If you like during this test patch you can wait the 5 minutes then put on a second layer on the same area to see if it will frost ( if it does NOT frost on the first layer ) Frosting is again not necessary but does give a deeper better peel. ( in my experience/opinion )

When you are ready to do the peel have your neutralizer ready. Put Vaseline around the eye and nostril area. Use a fan brush as it covers a larger area more quickly. Try not to overlap the solution if possible and be sure the brush is damp but NOT dripping. Once applied wait the 5 min. ( I suggest a first time peeler do ONE layer the first time ) after the 5 minutes neutralize. I often rinse with cool water after the neutralizer as it just feels nice!

Have the ointment ready to apply once you CAREFULLY dry your face. I use the ointment the next day if I am still pink.

By the second day you will feel tight and the skin will look shiny. By the 3rd day you will have dark patches and feel much tighter. By day 4-5 you should start to peel. While dry and crinkly I often use some Retin A to speed the peel. If you get too tight and uncomfortable try some EMU oil. The whole process can take up to 10 days, but SO worth it.

Any questions just ask the goat

See less See more
#59 ·
Hello all! I used my TCA 15% for the first time, ever, the day before yesterday. I felt a slight tingling and took it off after about 2 and half minutes. I only took it off b/c I felt like it should suffice for the first time, not because it hurt. I'm thinking that this was not long enough. I am not peeling, my face looks the same. I'm 34 years old and have been using pumpkin peels and all of the other peels before. Am I missing something?

#60 ·
You normally don't peel until day 4-5. Did you see any frosting at all? You probably didn't leave it on long enough. You may want to wait 3 weeks and try again, but IF you peel it will take about 3 more days. You may flake some but never peel good. Time will tell

#62 ·
Goatie,
I keep going to the MUAC website and browsing the TCA peels, trying to get up my nerve. My question is, they want to sell you a bunch of other stuff, such as post-peel neutralizer, soap-free cleansing bar, etc. Do I need any or all of that stuff?

#63 ·
Nope. You can make your own neutralizer, but I have discovered TCA naturally shuts itself off after 5 min so I just wash my face with cool water once the 5 min is up then use a VERY gentle cleanser, pat dry and put my ointment on.

#65 ·
I second that. I just use some baking soda in water as a neutralizer. But as Goatie says, you really don't need to neutralize unless it's really burning and itching badly.

#66 ·
hi Goatie,
Thanks for the great information, I have been toying with the idea of using TCA for the permatan on my body especially my legs, outer arms, etc and maybe face if it works out fine but I hadn't had my hands on some good instructions to go with that till now (sort of). I have read that it can actually cause PIH (God forbid) for dark skin but if done carefully it is miraculous. Any advice for me?

#67 ·
Start with a very low %. I have heard there can be issues with the PIH with darker skin also so please use a very low % to begin. Each time you peel remember also your skin becomes more sensitive to the sun, so sunscreen ( a good one! ) is a MUST HAVE!

#73 ·
I just did a 12.5% TCA peel 3 days ago (1 layer) and only feel slightly dry - the way I feel after washing my face if I don't moisturize afterward. I feel like I need to go ahead and do another treatment now to get any results. Would that be safe? I know they recommend waiting 2-3 weeks, but I hardly feel anything. FYI - I'm 43 and have had professional peels done before (several years ago) so I may have built up a tolerance from that???

#74 ·
12.5% didn't work for me either. Especially just one layer. BUT that being said it has been just 3 days. You should peel or flake within the next few days. SO let it do it's thing then try again in 3 weeks but do at least 2 layers. You feeling dry and tight lets me know there is some peeling or flaking to do.

#75 ·
I had Vi peel which is lower % of combination of few different acid include low % of TCA. 3 weeks later, I had 20% TCA myself, 1-2 layers (made sure the whole face was frosted). It peeled well, however, right after the peel , my face broke out badly, most of them are big red painful bumps, puss, and also tiny pimples under the skin.

Is it normal or I have allergy reaction?

#76 ·
I have very sensitive areas on my body they does not tolerate TCA at all. That is my neck and chest. I break out with red itchy bumps but not pimples. Could be you are very sensitive. Try a lower OR just TCA it could have been another ingredient/acid in the peel that did this.

#80 ·
Hi,
I'm about to do my first 12.5% peel. I've been on the Obaji skin care system for 4 months. I have some old acne scars that I want to get rid of.

Would it be okay to put one layer of TCA over my whole face and then do a second spot layer on the scars?

I've been told one layer is good for the first time, but I'm so tired of the scars

#104 ·
This thread is great, lots of great info Goatie. I am working up the courage to do some peels myself. I might do some 15% salycilic peels first to get rid of blackheads/congestion before attempting 12.5% TCA (both from MUAC)....would this be ok to do? Is pure aloe vera gel ok for post peel care instead of neosporin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.