Skin Care Talk banner

TCA Instructions

298K views 940 replies 168 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
http://www.tcapeels.com/how-to-use-a...el-at-home.htm
TCA 20% Peel Directions

( I buy mine MUAC )

Before doing TCA it helps BUT NOT necessary to do some type of exfoliation. Glycolic, Lactic or of course Retin A. Be sure to STOP about 5 days prior to the actual peel date.

For the first time, I suggest starting with 15%. Do a patch test on the side of your face near the jaw line with ONE layer. Wait the required 5 minutes then neutralize with 50/50 water/baking soda. If all goes well you can do the TCA peel but wait 24 hours after the test to be sure there is no reaction. If you like during this test patch you can wait the 5 minutes then put on a second layer on the same area to see if it will frost ( if it does NOT frost on the first layer ) Frosting is again not necessary but does give a deeper better peel. ( in my experience/opinion )

When you are ready to do the peel have your neutralizer ready. Put Vaseline around the eye and nostril area. Use a fan brush as it covers a larger area more quickly. Try not to overlap the solution if possible and be sure the brush is damp but NOT dripping. Once applied wait the 5 min. ( I suggest a first time peeler do ONE layer the first time ) after the 5 minutes neutralize. I often rinse with cool water after the neutralizer as it just feels nice!

Have the ointment ready to apply once you CAREFULLY dry your face. I use the ointment the next day if I am still pink.

By the second day you will feel tight and the skin will look shiny. By the 3rd day you will have dark patches and feel much tighter. By day 4-5 you should start to peel. While dry and crinkly I often use some Retin A to speed the peel. If you get too tight and uncomfortable try some EMU oil. The whole process can take up to 10 days, but SO worth it.

Any questions just ask the goat

See less See more
#890 ·
Thanks gymmie! That's what I will do. Never thought of trying that. Is the down time as long with mandelic? I've had glycolic peels before with no down time so I'm just wondering. And I've got these "bumps" that really bother me - like deep whiteheads that just don't budge on my right cheek ( my preferred sleeping side - wonder if that's why even though I do change my pillowcase daily) as well as my forehead. Not really visible unless I realllly look close but I know it's there and damn it bothers me! Spoke with an RN in the cosmetic field and she said she could burn them then remove but that scares me! BTW ran my first half marathon and already signed up for my next in October! Woohoo!

#891 ·
Thanks gymmie! That's what I will do. Never thought of trying that. Is the down time as long with mandelic? I've had glycolic peels before with no down time so I'm just wondering. And I've got these "bumps" that really bother me - like deep whiteheads that just don't budge on my right cheek ( my preferred sleeping side - wonder if that's why even though I do change my pillowcase daily) as well as my forehead. Not really visible unless I realllly look close but I know it's there and damn it bothers me! Spoke with an RN in the cosmetic field and she said she could burn them then remove but that scares me! BTW ran my first half marathon and already signed up for my next in October! Woohoo!
Zero down time. You will just want to be sure your avoiding the sun as much as possible and wear SS. But you can totally go about your business. I typically apply them n a Sunday. If you are struggling with acne use it once a week. IT will help you tremendously. I purchase mine from MUAC. Burn them?? WHAT?? Never heard of that. I wouldn't go that route you risk scarring. Have you tried oral antibiotics and the Ziana?? If not you should. I took it all before bitting the bullet and taking Accutane. But you will see a huge improvement with Mandalic acid. Just be consistent. Your sleeping side has EVERYTHING to do with it. Do you use a toner after you cleanse?? If not think about adding ACV mixed with equal parts of distilled water. This will help keep your pores clean. It smells bad but works so well. Awwhh you ran your first half marathon!! So AWESOME.......and weren't you SO proud once you crossed that finish line. People never realize how difficult it is to run 13 miles until they try it. The 10 doesn't get you its the last 3 that kicks your A$$ :D Good for you to register right away for another, that is exactly what we do, run one and already have the next one banked and planned. Summer makes it hard to train with the heat, but just know when you are out there pounding the pavement.............SO AM I, your never alone :five:

#892 ·
Sorry for my ignorance but what is ACV? I will try that as well. I am taking solodyn with the Ziana. I've been on Accutane twice. 45 and it's still a problem. Thanks hormones!! And yes summer makes it tough to train. I just couldn't get up this morning for my usual weekend 5:30 am run and was kicking myself for heading out at 8 as by mile 3 I just had to turn around and go home. It was already way too hot and humid. Before I'm 50 I want to do a full. Since I'm in NY it seems like that's the one to do!

#893 ·
Sorry for my ignorance but what is ACV? I will try that as well. I am taking solodyn with the Ziana. I've been on Accutane twice. 45 and it's still a problem. Thanks hormones!! And yes summer makes it tough to train. I just couldn't get up this morning for my usual weekend 5:30 am run and was kicking myself for heading out at 8 as by mile 3 I just had to turn around and go home. It was already way too hot and humid. Before I'm 50 I want to do a full. Since I'm in NY it seems like that's the one to do!
ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar I use Braggs brand I am sure you can find it locally. Buy the smallest bottle they have as you just mix equal parts of ACV with distilled water. Use as your toner. Give it a good shake prior to using and try to use every PM after you cleanse. It's the simple things that are a blessing in disguise for those who battle with acne :icon_cheers:
Have you tried other types of cyclines?? There are so many. I took Minocycline and after awhile I felt it just stopped working. If you have taken Accutane twice already you should hit your Dr up and ask for a low dose. I have heard that taking 10mg on a regular basis is totally fine and helps a ton. Also what type of products are you using?? Sunscreen, makeup, etc?? Because all of this places a huge roll as well. Awwhh get a few 1/2 under your belt and you will be ready to run a full. You can do it. It truly is mind over matter. NY marathon you need to qualify for, so plan ahead, be sure you run a few halves, pick your pace up so you can qualify. You can do it, it just requires training, but don't give up if that truly is your goal. You have 5 years to plan for it :thumbsup: I hear ya on having to plan for those early runs. Right now our weather is BRUTAL, hot and experiencing unusual humidity for us. On the long run days, we take it down a notch and just be sure we have plenty of places to stop to fill up our water bottles. We try to start just as the sun is rising and finish before it gets too warm. Last wknd we ran 15 miles and by mile 8 I was so sick to my stomach. It was one of those times when you WISH your husband was driving by so you could flag him down to pick you up :pray: to the point of I looked at every car that past us thinking "maybe this will be him" :D didn't happen so I just pushed myself through it the best I could. Tomorrow is my long run day so I will mentally prepare tonight for it!! Get yourself some Mandelic Acid, I think you could benefit from it!! Be sure to use their coupon code for 20% off if you place an order!! http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/25-Mandelic-Acid-Peel_p_26.html

#894 ·
Thanks Gymrat. Your advice is golden. I've tried minocin too. You're right in that you felt it stopped working after a while because that's what antibiotics do. Can't stay on one for too long. And I will hit my doc up again about the Accutane. I loved how my skin looked and behaved while on it. We will see. But as for now I will wait for my already ordered ( yes with 20 coupon) MA peel! And I do have the Braggs ACV! I use it mixed with the Indian clay mask I've seen on a thread somewhere. It really does smell but I can handle that. Never thought to use as a toner mixed with DW. Definitely will try. Thx again. U da best!

#895 ·
Whoot Whoot..........let me know what you think about the Mandalic :yay: Yep mix yourself up some ACV and distilled water. It smells at first but quickly dissipates. I even asked my husband if he could smell it and he said no not at all. Honestly if anyone would notice the smell it would be my puppy and it doesn't effect him so I think its just all in our heads because we smell it once we apply it..... thats my theory anyways ;) give it a try. It's a natural AHA. Its a simple yet effect little staple. Keep me posted stenogirl...........and keep on pounding the pavement :five:

#898 ·
Wow gymmie. Maybe we should start a run thread cuz I would really love to pick your brain on how you endure long runs like that! I'm sure running with others helps - I am on my own! I did 5 yesterday, 3 today. I'm trying 6 days a week (and on off day 60 minutes of cardio low impact )to avg 20 run miles a week for now and will eventually start increasing my mileage before race day in Oct. Ok so let's talk skin!! I will do my last TCA next week since I'm off from work before Accutane. I need to get these discoloration from extractions esthetician did - I'm happy the bumps are gone but I'm left with little purple dots where they were. It hadn't been a week yet and I'm sure I need more time to heal. But I'm excited to get started with Accutane in August. I know I will be happy like I was before when I was on it. Not really sure of the plan yet - right now just in the process of paper work (I pledge) and red tape. Another question - I bought some Cetaphil moisturizer I would like to mix LA into. It's four ounces. What is a good ratio for that considering I will be using this as my moisturizer while taking Accutane? Maybe 8 percent? Thanks!

#901 ·
Wow gymmie. Maybe we should start a run thread cuz I would really love to pick your brain on how you endure long runs like that! I'm sure running with others helps - I am on my own! I did 5 yesterday, 3 today. I'm trying 6 days a week (and on off day 60 minutes of cardio low impact )to avg 20 run miles a week for now and will eventually start increasing my mileage before race day in Oct. Ok so let's talk skin!! I will do my last TCA next week since I'm off from work before Accutane. I need to get these discoloration from extractions esthetician did - I'm happy the bumps are gone but I'm left with little purple dots where they were. It hadn't been a week yet and I'm sure I need more time to heal. But I'm excited to get started with Accutane in August. I know I will be happy like I was before when I was on it. Not really sure of the plan yet - right now just in the process of paper work (I pledge) and red tape. Another question - I bought some Cetaphil moisturizer I would like to mix LA into. It's four ounces. What is a good ratio for that considering I will be using this as my moisturizer while taking Accutane? Maybe 8 percent? Thanks!
Just seeing this, so sorry. NO NO and NO do not use LA lotion while on Accutane. You can't use anything harsh on your skin. You've taken it before correct??

#902 ·
Gymrat, what % of Tca will you recommend for knuckle and toes, on my feet precisely. Thank you
I wouldn't jump to use a TCA until you've tried other products/peels first
Please I need your help, how many times can you use Tca peel on your knuckles in a day
Please read the first page of this thread.

#904 ·
Mandalic is less harsh than lactic. Please don't think it is a "peel" per se because it isn't anything close to a peel. Mandalic 25% is something you can use weekly. Its just a good exfoliation. If anything it would cause a mild flaking. 10-20% Lactic peel is mild as well. Not anything that will cause you to peel, just mild exfoliation. May not even be visible.

#906 ·
Neither are anything close to a TCA, so don't worry. And yes, start low with LA and gradually increase. MUAC range of LA peels goes like this, 40%, 55% and then 65%. Lactic Acids- milder than glycolic acid, and typically better for working on hyperpigmentation problems. Our formulation contains licorice extract, an effective skin lightening additive. Appropriate for normal, dry, or oily skin. An alpha hydroxy, this peel penetrates the epidermis-only. A good all around peel for the beginner. Mandelic Acid takes longer to penetrate the skin's surface and is much less irritating. Excellent for acne, large pores, blackheads, wrinkles, lines, sun damaged skin, extremely sensitive skin and darker skin tones.

#907 ·
Thank you gymrat. If I were to do careful weekly, or biweekly, LA peels, would it be advisable to start using any AHA lotions (glycolic or lactic) as well for exfoliation or standard soaps, like kojie san or likas? MUKAS has their own glycolic body lotion. I made my own thread about this a few weeks ago where I mention you as well, but maybe you missed it. Would be really grateful if you had a looksie :)

#910 ·
Hello peelers :)

Temptation got the better of me tonight and I done a patch test using 15%. I understand that you apply Neosporin or equivalent until pinkness subsides. Question. I have no choice but to go outdoors everyday SO is it okay to put on my Burnout SS the following day onwards?

Also I like to add that I'm in the UK with no sun :D

#911 ·
Slow down tiger:eek:........you won't want to apply TCA and then also apply Mandalic in a few days, choose one or the other, but not both.

As for your question yes you are totally fine going outside especially if the sun isn't shining. If there is any pinkness keep an antibiotic ointment on until that subsides. It will take a day or two for the area to peel. When it peels is when you need to be very careful not to expose the skin to the sun (any bit of it).

#916 ·
Gently exfoliating. Did a 88% LA peel 1/5/16 will do another tonight on legs for like 5min. Then again 1/11/16 on legs butt & arms (body) then will do my TCA 18% on body that Friday, 1/15/16. Wait a full week & do it again on 1/22/16. On 1/29 start my RA .05 & 10% HQ daily for 3wks. Then start on ALL my HQ treatments like carotein body moisturizer, hq 4% from. ADC, my 20% hq, my lightened etc. so on etc. thru March 2016 by April I should be 1/2 where I wAnt to be. & please don't try this at home, I am experienced w/experimenting w/my own body. Do what works best for you.

#921 ·
Hi Goatie!
thanks so much for sharing all this great info. I know this is an old thread and that's probably why the pictures you posted aren't there anymore, and I was wondering if you could repost them. I'm looking to do my first peel and have no idea what frosting is or looks like.

#923 ·
hmm i heard TCA is to strong for home use. obviously people can do it, and had success, but people have messed up too.

think im going for glycolic 70%. apparently even that is too strong to put on skin. they said to mix with water. i dont no though, should i take the risk?

#924 ·
I've never done a 70% GA peel, I have 30% from MUAC. They also sell 40%, 50% and 60%, I've never seen 70%.

I do use TCA peels on myself, but like I mentioned, educate yourself well enough of what to do, and how to care for your skin after the peel, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Should you take the risk? Totally up to you, if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself, then have it done professionally.

#925 ·
Hi, I´ve been doing glycolic acid peels on my neck for a month , I carefully read the instructions in the forum and followed them. I started with 30% for 5 minutes. I felt nothing and it did nothing, then I used 40%, same time, and I just felt a bit of burning sensation. I ended up using 70% GA for 15 minutes (I know it sounds crazy but 70% GA for 5 minutes just left me itchy) and my neck was with scars which healed in 4 days, but I haven't seen a noticeable change in my skin. My neck has a permatan like 8 shade darker than my hands, I had never used sunscreen in my entire life, I'm 21. I started using sunscreen since march and I was careful to use it even more during peeling days. I bought the peeling in ebay and I mix it with distilled water. I rarely go out when the sun is present and I even apply chemical sunscreen.
1. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I just did peelings + sunscreen.
2. I have doubts that my product could be fake? I got it from ebay. glycolic acid 70% (When I apply the glycolic acid, I can feel the burning sensation wich increases as time goes on, after applying baking soda there is a intense heat and the glycolic acid starts to act like coca cola, I can see the froth) maybe that "70%" is fake and it's just 40%? Thanks a lot !!

#926 ·
Hi, I´ve been doing glycolic acid peels on my neck for a month , I carefully read the instructions in the forum and followed them. I started with 30% for 5 minutes. I felt nothing and it did nothing, then I used 40%, same time, and I just felt a bit of burning sensation. I ended up using 70% GA for 15 minutes (I know it sounds crazy but 70% GA for 5 minutes just left me itchy) and my neck was with scars which healed in 4 days, but I haven't seen a noticeable change in my skin. My neck has a permatan like 8 shade darker than my hands, I had never used sunscreen in my entire life, I'm 21. I started using sunscreen since march and I was careful to use it even more during peeling days. I bought the peeling in ebay and I mix it with distilled water. I rarely go out when the sun is present and I even apply chemical sunscreen.
1. What do you think I'm doing wrong? I just did peelings + sunscreen.
2. I have doubts that my product could be fake? I got it from ebay. glycolic acid 70% (When I apply the glycolic acid, I can feel the burning sensation wich increases as time goes on, after applying baking soda there is a intense heat and the glycolic acid starts to act like coca cola, I can see the froth) maybe that "70%" is fake and it's just 40%? Thanks a lot !!
Don't buy peels from ebay! Purchasing ANY type of acid from ebay is way too dangerous and risky because you don't really know what you are getting. Buy your peels from a reputable company. You would be able to contact someone if you had any questions.

You should purchase your peels from a site like MakeUpArtistChoice. :)
http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/A...eels_c_53.html

#935 ·
Please Is this thread still active? I need help. I did a 30% tca peel on my feet and knuckles. I peeled within a week and my skin was flawless. I used sunscreen to protect my freshly peeled skin. But after a week or two, my knuckles and feet got 3 shades darker than they were before. I don’t know what went wrong. Please help me.

#936 ·
I replied to your other post in another thread but I will reply here as well..... @CookieMilan sorry to hear this......but don't loose hope just yet, your skin will continue to change in the weeks to come. One thing I wouldn't recommend is using any type of sunscreen that contains alcohol, in which the one you use is loaded with alcohol. That on freshly peel skin is not good for anyone. But for now I would continue keeping things moisturized. Once your skin has completely healed give the peel another try, but instead of using an alcohol based sunscreen go for something that contains zinc, not only is it great for sun protection but it is also very soothing. If you don't have anything with zinc then just keep things covered when in the sun even if it means wearing socks.....you gotta do what you gotta do for sun protection even if its not glamorous :eek:

#937 ·
Good morning..
I sent this massage one month ago to gymrat, she did not answer....After peel I have some red sports ....on nose and on my face after peeling( as one penny surface, no to red..but I see it). I used EMU oil////

I am worry because I plan to do new peel on all face. It was TCA 18%...MAYBE I sould do 15% TCA.....

THIS WHAT I DID....I did used acetone for cleaning the face+1 layer Jessner Peel+1layer 18% TCA on my forehead,nose and some spots on my face because of hyperpigmentation. OK....Today day 14..it was long peeling on my forehead(did not finish yet)...Forehead is OK....nice,new skin...

Now about spots... Other spots were ok,peeled well, the spot that I asked you before on face ,was very dark,after 7 days started to peel(I did not touched it or pick the skin-NO); this spot now is pink (today day 5 after peeling)and I feel (when I touch this pink spot) no smooth skin..The same pink spot I have on my nose after peeling...all nose is OK, but one spot under Nasion of nose is the same pink..I asked you so specifically because I want to do all face...and after this pink spots I am afraid about my face...Why is it pink? and surface of these two spots of face and nose
like rough, scabrous, uneven(I do not know how to explain)[/QUOTE]

#938 ·
Good morning..
I sent this massage one month ago to gymrat, she did not answer....After peel I have some red sports ....on nose and on my face after peeling( as one penny surface, no to red..but I see it). I used EMU oil////

I am worry because I plan to do new peel on all face. It was TCA 18%...MAYBE I sould do 15% TCA.....

THIS WHAT I DID....I did used acetone for cleaning the face+1 layer Jessner Peel+1layer 18% TCA on my forehead,nose and some spots on my face because of hyperpigmentation. OK....Today day 14..it was long peeling on my forehead(did not finish yet)...Forehead is OK....nice,new skin...

Now about spots... Other spots were ok,peeled well, the spot that I asked you before on face ,was very dark,after 7 days started to peel(I did not touched it or pick the skin-NO); this spot now is pink (today day 5 after peeling)and I feel (when I touch this pink spot) no smooth skin..The same pink spot I have on my nose after peeling...all nose is OK, but one spot under Nasion of nose is the same pink..I asked you so specifically because I want to do all face...and after this pink spots I am afraid about my face...Why is it pink? and surface of these two spots of face and nose
like rough, scabrous, uneven(I do not know how to explain)
@Iren70 I am not fully understanding your question, when did you do this peel? You say one month ago, but also say today is day 14? Regardless, much too soon to do another TCA especially if your skin hasn't fully healed from the first go around. What did you apply after the peel other than emu oil? Anytime you have pink/redness after your peel its important to apply an antibiotic ointment for a few days this helps healing. Also, if 18% TCA was too strong, I would lower to 15% and also don't apply the Jessner.

#939 ·
When I wrote to gymrat privet massage was December12. It was day 14 from day I diid peel of .Yesterday, I copied privet massage,did not want to write the same....So, it is one month ago I did peel....I did many peels in the past and always used Neosporin,Silver...Always did very well and have good result...Only this time small red spot on my jaw and nose...
Why you did not recomend use Jessner +TCA???

#941 ·
Obviously something was too strong/harsh for you if the area has not improved in 4 weeks. I would cut back, do one or the other, but not both TCA & Jessner. Less is best, more is not better. Give your skin time to heal, then start over, but don't layer the peels, choose one or the other.

#940 ·
1/6/19 Sunday TCA peel 30% from MUAC; after 1st 5 minute on front/back skin on arms including legs including knees (my hardest areas) I continually massaged product into skin. I then grabbed my LA 88% from makingcosmetics; I followed this up after the 1st 5 minute marker and went in on the same areas and set my alarm for 15 minutes of massaging it into skin. Keep in mind, it takes like 2/5 minutes to apply the product to body and a definite 5 minutes of soaking into skin. I sat there & waited & waited finally the entire ordeal was ::30 minutes so I proceeded to make my way to the shower to rinse with baking soda and water and my solution for post peel neutralizer. Instead of using ANY harsh lotions or other chemicals I’ve decided to wait until next Sunday and perform another peel the exact same places after which I will give my body again a week to heal and adjust to the peel and I will follow up one last time with one more peel which will include (3) three solid weeks of peels in its entirety. I will go in with all of my DIY potions everything but the ******* sink. Oh and a skin update no hypo pigmentation from peel or ANY pain or raw lesions on my skin at all! I really contribute this success because I have only utilize lotions on my skin like aloe vera and cocoa butter but nothing harsh on my skin during this healing period during the 1st first week after that aggressive peel. However, I’ve kept myself so moisturized that I’ve NOT experienced ANY shedding/peeling of skin! Go figure 🤦‍♀️

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.