Skin Care Talk banner

taking horsetail?

35K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  RebeccaMom38 
#1 ·
I was reading that horsetail is not only good for the hair and its growth, but also for nails and collagen production?.. does anyone here use it and if so?.. what are your reviews?..

See less See more
#3 ·
I take it, have so for 9 years more or less. Probably my favorite supplement. Mine comes as a combination of horsetail and some sort of algae and brewer's yeast, so it's not just silica from horsetail, but also has lots of trace elements, minerals and B vitamins in addition. Makes nails hard as asbestos and hair is kinda shinier and falls out less (less hair in drain). Not sure if it does anything for collagen, can't say that I see any difference in my skin, but silica is essential for collagen synthesis, just like vitamin C, so I guess it doesn't hurt to do something extra for my connective tissues.

#4 ·
I take it and love it. I think it has helped my hair in many ways. Increased density and shine for me. I had surgery last summer and because of it I lost quite a bit of hair. With a few good Dr's and a lot of work we have it growing back healthier than ever. I think horsetail grass has been a huge help and I am sticking with it for life-

There are plenty of brands to choose from, but this is what I take. And I take 2 a day.
http://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/77350.pdf

#15 ·
Hi Fawnie,

can I ask what kind of results you have seen from n-acetyl cysteine? Also, did you have any side effects; weight gain, increased huner etc? I noticed this supplement is stocked with the body building supplements at one of our health stores, which just made me wonder,

many thanks

Jackie xx

#8 ·
And this translates into many more trips to the salon for touch-ups! I've been taking Biotin since last summer and now have to go to the salon every 4-5 weeks for fresh highlights. It's growing that fast.

I'm going to add Horsetail to my regimen. Would the tincture/extract be as effective as the solid?

#9 ·
Not ray, but I read that the BioSil tincture is more effective/bioavailable than the caps. But it tastes like dead fish and is very astringent in the mouth, so I couldn't bother with it. I just take the caps.

I'm going cold turkey from my salon and just trimming myself the bangs.
The highlights will have to wait til end of summer!

#10 ·
It can be diluted in juice or another liquid though. i used to do this with Kava Kava and other herbal tinctures. Alone they are awful, diluted they're tolerable.

#16 ·
Hi,
Just wanted to add in that I am taking horsetail in my Hair, Skin and Nails Complete and it is a liquid in a pineapple juice base. It also has Biotin, MSM and lots of other good things for hair. My nails are hard as can be and I have to keep them trimmed back so they don't get too long. I had a lot of hair in the drain during a period of stress, but that's over and my hair is truly growing in. I had to postpone my hairdresser trip to let the new hair grow a bit more.
It's made by Buried Treasure and you can get it at evitamins.com. It's nice to have a liquid as a bread in the line of all those pills. It's quite tasty-- I mix mine with a small amount of orange juice.

#17 ·
i have started taking biosil both the liquid and capsule form.
I have 2 jobs so when I am local I use liquid ( oh yeah ...nasty
) when I have to take a flight I take the capsules as they will throw away my liquid

What can I use for hyaluronic acid? I got some from amazon and they have a peppermint after taste which me no likey

#21 ·
It's a Scandinavian concern called Axellus and the line is Vitalia, a subdivision of Futura... They make all kinds of supplements.

If you scroll the product line (Nogle af vore produkter) a bit, you can see the Danish version of Silica, mine is the same stuff, but a different box. Forside

I also like their Möllers fish oil. Really nice fish taste (or not).

The silica thingie tastes and smells like grass/hay/fresh seaweed or something...

#31 ·
betty, as long as you are taking "horsetail" already made into a supplement, there should be no difference.
The' plant horsetail' is often known as "horsetail grass" and there are many different kinds of it. The stems of this plant are sometimes cooked and eaten.
oddly enough, the foliage of horsetail contains some chemicals that can be poisonous to horses, but as long as you are using a premade supplement you should be OK.

If you have a particular supplement description you are concerned about, post it and I will have a look. HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.