Melasma is breaking up!!! - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 First 8 9

Thread: Melasma is breaking up!!!

Progesterone cream helps keep my melasma light as I am estrogen dominant. So, I wouldn't say one hormone is the number one culprit. It's the imbalance that causes the melasma.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

I would like to know, Michelle31...although this thread is old My melasma isn't bad, hopefully it won't get bad. I do some things on the advice of a Naturopath to balance my hormones (hemp protein, progesterone cream from day 17-27 and evening primrose from day 28 til day 16) I use a vitamin c serum made by a local compounding pharmacy, and use started using a combo of kojic and azelaic acid on my upper life (the only place I have melasma)

Quote Originally Posted by Carybear View Post
    I would like to know, Michelle31...although this thread is old My melasma isn't bad, hopefully it won't get bad. I do some things on the advice of a Naturopath to balance my hormones (hemp protein, progesterone cream from day 17-27 and evening primrose from day 28 til day 16) I use a vitamin c serum made by a local compounding pharmacy, and use started using a combo of kojic and azelaic acid on my upper life (the only place I have melasma)
    Your post was very interesting as I have low progesterone. Are you still having success with your regimen? Have you changed it at all?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wg1 View Post
    It's a hormone that naturally occurs in your body but things like birth control and spironolactone can make too much of it. I read studies that show a correlation between high progesterone levels and melasma. Some docs will blame melasma on estrogens but it's progesterone that really seems to make melasma worse. I would suggest that anyone with melasma have their hormone levels thoroughly checked. It's a hormonal problem. The sun may make it worse but it's primarily caused by hormones.

I must agree that it is the imbalance of the hormones estrogen and progesterone that causes melasma. Ever since I increased my intake of estrogen rich foods my melasma has gotten lighter. I believe I have an excess of progesterone in my body. I also take a high dose of biotin daily. This has really helped. I will be trying the lotrimin athletes foot cream mentioned combines with nizoral shampoo for the scalp twice a week. I will let you know how I'm making out.

8. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements