Skin Care Talk banner

Vitamin C + Collagen

17K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  MIZZTAZZ 
#1 ·
We know that vitamin C helps to boost collagen production - and so fights wrinkles. In addition to eating lots of vitamin-C enriched foods, which is the best source, is there a topical product that anyone here has found to be effective? Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: Vitamin C + Collagen

I've been using a product called Cellex C (they have a web site) for about 3 years. I used the product for about 3 months before I noticed any results; the product is a liquid and only 3 drops covers your face. It also evens out skin tone.

#5 ·
Blackpearl, Hi! I'm just going to jump in here since I haven't seen Mari here for a while. She used both products I believe she said. If you are using the Green Cream you could use both of these products in the morning under your sunscreen. They would augment the collagen-building potential of the Green Cream nicely.

BTW, we can show you how to make your own vitamin C serum for a fraction of the cost of Cell-ex C that is much fresher and so more potent. There are several DIY C Serum threads here, or just ask!

#7 ·
Vitamin C is best taken internally. There are many vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables that you can include in ur daily diet and reap skin care benefits. However, if you are still looking for topical Vitamin C products, I suggest u use Kinerase Cream. It works very well against reducing wrinkles and fine lines.

#8 ·
Vitamin C is best taken internally. There are many vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables that you can include in ur daily diet and reap skin care benefits. However, if you are still looking for topical Vitamin C products, I suggest u use Kinerase Cream. It works very well against reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
Wow - my original post was from last November, but thanks for responding.

I am confused - you are recommending Kinerase cream but when I check the ingredients, it does not include vitamin C - or at least it is not listed as a key ingredient, which says to me that there is not much of it included, if at all. kinerase.com

Update - I am currently making my own vitamin C serum with a concentration of 15-20% and find it is better than any other product I have ever used. Plus I have the assurance both that it includes an effective level of vitamin C and that it is not oxidized. And is alot cheaper than commercial preps. That Kinerase cream sells for $117 plus shipping from the SkinStore. EEEEKKKK!

#10 ·
I recently discovered Janson Beckett Alpha Derma CE antiaging cream which has vitamin c, collagen and elastin .... and I really think these ingredients are making a big difference on the look and firmness of my skin.

BTW I've read that using a topical vitamin c product on the skin is more effective than taking vitamin c internally.

#11 ·
I recently discovered Janson Beckett Alpha Derma CE antiaging cream which has vitamin c, collagen and elastin .... and I really think these ingredients are making a big difference on the look and firmness of my skin.
Hi lyvelana!
I'm glad you are liking your skin, but I don't think it's from any magical collagen and elastin potion in that JB ADCE cream. The collagen and elastin molecules are just too big to penetrate the dermis! They probably are good moisturizers though, so that much it is doing for you....but such a high pricetag for something that is only a moisturizer!

Here are the ingredients:

Demineralized Spring Water, Acetyl Hexapeptide 3(ARGIRELINE), Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycerine, Olive Oil, Oxybenzone, Soybean Oil, Stearic Acid, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Soluble Collagen, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Ester), DMAE Bitartrate, Aloe Vera Extract, Glyceryl Stearate, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Cetyl Alcohol, Simethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth--20, Tea Carbomer 940.

The DMAE, alpha lipoic acid and soy protein are probably what you see as doing something for your skin. But it's only temporary. In addition, the ARGIRELINE can actually CAUSE facial sag:
Acetyl hexapeptide-3 (Argireline): an alternative to Botox or wishful thinking in a jar?

#12 ·
Hi there,

I find that Vitamin C capsules from the Body Shop to be effective. The product feels wonderful on the skin, is effective and very inexpensive. Vitamin C capsules are available on-line from THE BODY SHOP.

Their product description is:

An innovative time release system that provides the skin with pure vitamin C. Helps to even out skin tone, brighten a dull complexion and protect from environmental damage, leaving the skin radiant-looking over time. Suitable for daily use.

Their website is: The Body Shop - Natural Beauty Products inspired by Nature and Ethically made

Best wishes,

redrose

#13 ·
I purchased the items for the simple version of Vit C Serum that mireckca posted:
"1 tsp of Vit C, with 1/4 tsp of Rosehip seed oil, and 1 oz of distilled water. That should give about a 14% soln: 5.0/(5.0+1.25+30.0).

I used it yesterday for the first time and by the end of the day I have pimples from my forehead to my chin I guess this is not for me since I have oily skin.

I am getting discouraged due to the fact the more I read in reference to applying Vit C to skin, statistics show that there are no benefits. Is there anyone here on this forum that uses "do-it-yourself Viamin C Serums" personal experience have you personaly seen improvement and if so, how long did it take from the first time applying this product? Any photo's before and after would be great!

#18 ·
Unique - I am sorry to hear about your results with Vitamin C serum. I have been making and using my own DIY serum for almost a year and yes I have seen results. (Soft, Smooth, glowing, even skin tone) I love Vitamin C serum and think it is the best part of my skin care regimen. I am currently using HQ/RA so I'm not as faithful in using my serum. (I don't like piling on acids, topicals, etc. all at once). I noticed a difference in my skin in about a week. My recipe is simple like the one you use except I use glycerin, jojoba or vitamin e oil instead of rosehip.

#14 ·
My skin is normal and I use Retin-A also, so maybe this offsets the problem you had with pimples Unique. I would leave out the rosehip seed oil next time (it's more for mature skin) and just use this recipe:
http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...html#post64990

I see results every time I use it in the way of smoothing and moisturizing. Usually any skin care product yields results or not after 4 weeks.
Bear in mind that the main advantage of the C+E ferulic serum is photoprotection.

There's lots of research documenting the advantages of a C serum:
United States Patent: 7179841

Skin care research: A topical antioxidant solution containing vitamins C and E stabilized by ferulic acid provides protection for human skin against damage caused by ultraviolet irradiation.

to cite a few.

#20 ·
I apply vitamin c in the morning then wait 20-25 minutes and put sunscreen....thruthfully, vitamin c along with with RA has been by far the best skin regimen I experienced in my 52 years young

#24 ·
Has anyone here tried Trish McEvoy Even Skin Vitamin C Cream???? Going to cost me 68 pounds and hopefully i'm not wasting my money. It has very few ingredients in there, which I like because I seem to be sensitive to many creams and break out in spots. This seems ot be OK? Anyone used this before?

#26 ·
whoa182 before spending 68 pounds read a review of the product on makeupalley.com, and check out the Skin Lightening Forum on this sight so many of these expensive products can be made for some of these product can be made for less than a 1 pound.

#30 ·
What that girls are pink and boys are blue?

I think I made the same mistake though myself. Maybe us girls just assume peri is a female because of his great wealth of knowledge- not saying that females know more or anything................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.