Skin Care Talk banner

Tranexamic Acid for melasma?

270K views 561 replies 72 participants last post by  tiny307 
#1 ·
here in brazil i realize that the doctors treat melasma very differently. they treat melasma here with this acid called tranexamic, which is a medication that is used for women, who have heavy periods, so i don't get why its used for the melasma.

a lot of doctors prescribe this is a topical, but mainly orally, along with absorbic acid. some doctors even do tranexamic injections, into the darker areas of the melasma, and say it lightens the melasma.

i've been trying to do research about it, and i find a lot of articles about doctors in asia who use this method. did anyone ever hear about this?

here are a couple of articles i found that explain more how it works.

All About Skin Lightening: Featured Ingredient: Tranexamic Acid

Tranexamic Acid

#55 ·
Hey LDV I'm still using the TA and the melasma is barely visible. I don't have to wear makeup to cover it any more. I feel blessed. This is the soap I buy. I get it from amazon. It is totally natural and contains no animal fat etc: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0036VJBOG/ref=ya_aw_oh_pii My son also uses it for his acne and it's making a positive difference to his skin too X

#56 ·
Tranexamic Acid

Today I finally bought some tranexamic acid to improve my melasma, I will update how it works.
I found an interesting article on the internet that is explaining the effects of TA that I wanted to share with you. One thing that caught my attention is that it's more about the duration than the dosage that seems to make the difference;
" the above clinical studies, the usual effective dose of TA can be 250 mg 2-3 times daily,
much lower than the usual dose to reduce excessive bleeding, and it should take at least 1 month to see a clinical response. It is the duration of the therapy, not the higher dose, that makes the treatment regime more effective."

Here is the link to the article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.12026/pdf

#57 ·
Here is another interesting article on the internet that is suggesting that the duration of the therapy is more important than the dosage. which is good news since i don't feel like taking strong medications against bleeding ...

" the above clinical studies, the usual effective dose of TA can be 250 mg 2-3 times daily,
much lower than the usual dose to reduce excessive bleeding, and it should take at least 1 month to see a clinical response. It is the duration of the therapy, not the higher dose, that makes the treatment regime more effective."

Here is the link to the article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.12026/pdf

#60 ·
Hi Lillyflower

How long are you going to keep taking the TA for? Are you going to reduce the dosage? We'll all be keen to hear if the results are sustained after that.

Njata - please keep us updated on your progress!!

I am going to see a dermatologist on Monday who offers TA injections for melasma. I will also ask her about TA tablets. I will see what she says and let you know!

#65 ·
So I'd like to do my first small update:
I have been taking tranexamic acid for 10 days now and I can definitely see my melasma fading! I'm quite amazed I have to say and I would really like to thank you guys for the tip.
I am taking it in liquid form ( 1 capsule is 1gramm) so I divide this in 4 parts, 250mg twice a day. I got mine at the pharmacy, pretending that I had a strong menstruation, because usually you need a prescription for this.
I feel a bit bad about this but in Europe tranexamic acid doesn't seem to be prescribed against melasma like in Asia, so I figured it would be the easiest way to get it. I saw that you can by some pills from Korea on ebay for a ridiculous price, so I'm happy I could get some here for 13 EUR at the pharmacy.
I'd like to point out that I've been reading various articles on possible sideffects etc but it seems to be quite save if you take it in small portions.
The sideeffects I have noticed:
I had the feeling that the first few days my skin looked a bit pale/unhealthy plus I had developed a few spots, but perhaps this had absolutely nothing to do with the TA. My skin never looks the same, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but I just wanted to mention it. After a few days everything went back to normal, well even better, since I'm seeing my melasma fading with each day.
I'm not intending to us it for longterm, since it IS medication after all. I will finish my package, so 10 more days then I will update again.

#67 ·
Hi all, Quick update: saw derm today and has been diagnosed as melasma from the historical pics I took (all pigmentation now gone). Woods lamp diagnosis, probably epidermal- possibly mixed but unlikely. Derm was astounded at response to TA and has suggested stopping it. If it returns she wants me to take it again. I want to carry on for 6 months as the clinical trials online suggest. Am relieved to have a diagnosis.

#68 ·
Very interesting! How funny to astound a doctor! Under the woods lamp could you still see areas of pigmentation?

I also went for my first derm visit this week. Because I have not treated it properly up until now, she recommended home treatment with tretinoin and hydroquinone for 2 months, so I have started that now. I was nervous about this but it's day 3 and no side affects at all. So hopefully it will continue this way and I'll see some improvement in a few weeks. I asked about the oral TA and she said she has heard about it but still recommends topical home treatment as a first step for everyone. She has cured many cases much worse than mine so I decided to go with her judgement! She does TA injections but only when other topical/peel treatments have failed.

#70 ·
Hi lillyflower That's fab news, at leas you have a diagnosis now, it might be ok to stop the ta becauae its winter now, I would be more nervous stopping if it was midsummer Are u going to stop? If u carry on 6 month is it supposed to permanantly get rid of the melasma I did stop taking mine as i have so much hair there that even f it was making a difference i wouldnt see past the hair lol Great news lillyflower Take care

#71 ·
So here is my 2nd update:
I've been taking TA for 20 days in liquid form, 250 mg twice per day.
I would say that 80% of my melasma is gone, the traces left are hardly visable, so it's been an overall success.
I'm finishing my package and so I intend to stop taking it, I will update if the melasma will return.

I have to say that I preferred taking this oral treatment rather than a topical. The reason for this is that I feel the effect is overall, my skin looks more even. A lot of times I noticed that when taking topical peelings/creams etc, my skin might be irritated on some parts, it's hard to get this even result, finding the good amount to "get it right" avoiding blotchy complexion.

Since this is a medication, intended to ease heavy bleeding, I would be cautious taking this on a long-term. It seems like in Asia, this treatment is used but there aren't many reports in Europe about it, doctors don't seem to describe it here for the purpose of melasma.
Anyways, it worked for me.

#73 ·
Hi everyone, I came across this product while doing a research about oral tranexamic acid. It is a product from Japan, called transino. It is 750mg of tranexamic acid, and it says to take 3 times a day. Any thoughts on this, or has anyone tried it? I can not find any reviews about it online. There are a bunch of websites selling it, I found it on ebay as well for a better price, but still is pretty expensive. But its for a 2 month supply. There is a commercial as well in Japanese about this product.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BestOfferBuy-Transino-Whitening-Supplement-Treatment/dp/B00BTD70Y6

#74 ·
Hey, All the research I did suggested 250mg twice per day. It worked for me! I'd say the dose you've quoted is very high. Njata, am so pleased to hear you've had success using TA too. I have huge hopes that this might become a widely used treatment for melasma. Sending best wishes to you all x

#75 ·
Sending best wishes to you all x
Hi lillyflower. This is what I thought, 750 mg 3 times a day is pretty high. I asked my obgyn about TA for my heavy periods, but she would not prescribe too me, said its not something widely prescribed in the US, and rather give me natural treatments. She also never heard of it being used orally for Melasma. She is a very good and well known OBGYN in the US, and a lot of people drive to see her, so I was a bit disappointed in a way, even though I do prefer natural treatments.

I see in the UK you are able to purchase this in a pharmacy? Are there any sites selling it online? Thanks!

#76 ·
Yes, in the uk you can but TA over the counter in pharmacies. That's relatively recent though. When I visited my derm a few weeks ago, it seemed to come as a surprise to her that TA was used to treat melasma. It isn't available on prescription for that, but for heavy periods. Amazed at how much it costs from japan. Here, 20 days supply is £7. I hate how companies appear to be blatantly over pricing their goods because they know people are desperate and will therefore pay. X

#78 ·
I agree that 250 mg twice a day is sufficient, and I still had my period. I also checked out this Japanese company before, but honestly it's really a rip off when you can get TA for a few bucks at your local pharmacy.
That's what I did, I went to the pharmacy and asked for Exacyl against heavy periods,( l researched before on the internet and found that it contains TA and is sold in Belgium, I guess each country sells TA under different names).
I didn't bother to say that it was for melasma, because outside of Asia, it doesn't seem to be known as a cure against melasma. In the US I found some medication names called Lysteda, Cyklokapron and Transamin which contains TA (reference on wikipedia) better check them out in detail. And remember to take less than it is promoted on the leaflet, since you are not taking it for heavy periods you will need much less, which also reduces the risk of any possible side effects.

#79 ·
I've caved and gone to Boots to buy a box of TA! Just have to give this a go after hearing about the successes on this thread. It was £7 for 18 tablets which at 1 per day will last 18 days. The pharmacist asked me a few questions but I just said my doctor had recommended it and he was fine with that. The dosage on the box is 3000-4000mg a day for heavy periods so taking 500mg a day is a hugely reduced dose, so should be quite safe considering it is OTC. I have started a retinol/hydroquinone regime so I'm hopeful the TA will just speed that up per results from the clinical trials. I will start tomorrow and report back, fingers crossed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.