How do you get CLEAR skin seriously? Has anyone went from bad skin to super clear?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 Last

Thread: How do you get CLEAR skin seriously? Has anyone went from bad skin to super clear?

How do you get CLEAR skin seriously? Has anyone went from bad skin to super clear?

So I have NEVER had super clear skin in my life and it sucks. I just got off of accutane and want my face just to be clear. Right now there are some acne marks, these black dots (not moles so i am guessing they are black headsears but I've had them for like y) and just relatively uneven brown skin. The accutane has cleared up the acne and I am super pleased with it...but my face just has some acne scars mixed with minor craters...at the end of the day I'm upset at my genetics and I just want to fix it starting topically and perhaps later considering dermatologic lasers (fractional lasers, fraxel, etc...) Its the skin and not so much my facial features I am upset about (so its not like im thinking about plastics or anything)

With this in mind, I was curious from someone who went from bad skin to perfectly super clear skin of the same texture and without any specks (acne, whiteheads, blackheads)...what regimen worked best for you? I have been cleansing with cetaphil and st ives exfoliator and using likas papaya soap and they are good products...but I don't think they are really dealing with the problem at hand. What products/regimen worked for you guys...? I'd like to get that natural brown shiny tone based on my ethnic look. Or are topicals simply futile and do I need to start seeking out procedures?

Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Try using a cleanser with Salicylic Acid as the active ingredient, dump the St Ives exfoliator and get a microfiber cloth. Use Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel as a toner in the PM after cleansing. Apply 1-2 drops of jojoba oil as a moisturizer and call it done-

During the day make sure you are using sunscreen ALWAYS!!!!
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Well, using Accutane for me was a start...as far as acne control goes. My skin was very splotchy with acne, blackheads, acne scarring etc before using it...

after going off of Accutane, then waiting about 4-6 months, I had a series of Jessner's, glycolics & TCA peels administered at my derm's office on my face and neck, and back to remove acne scars...(over a year's time)

It really%

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Hey sunkissed, so with regard to peels...if you did go see a dermatologist, how much did those peels cost and what was the regimen like specifically (could your breakdown by cost)?

I am also at that 6 month post-accutane mark so I am considering doing that.

Also, in addition, what are your thoughts on buying my own peels off amazon? I dont have ACNE but I just have random residual acne scars/crater-like lines/blackheads...its somewhat mild and not insanely glaring so in the interest of cost/time/convenience, would you recommend any certain peels to try once a week perhaps?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers View Post
    Hey sunkissed, so with regard to peels...if you did go see a dermatologist, how much did those peels cost and what was the regimen like specifically (could your breakdown by cost)?

Hi transformers,

My computer is very sloowww ... I guess the server edited/cut out my other remarks because my pc took too long to transfer the data...anyway...

I was stating that for most people, me included, once clear skin is attained, it is a lifetime commitment to maintain it and help it to stay clean, clear, moisturized, and looking it's best. I use Retin-A to help keep minor acne breakouts at bay, as well.

Peel prices vary by providers, so I personally would check licensed dermatologists, spas, and esthetician's offices to gauge a median price range for your local area...make sure they are all licensed...

I purchased a peel package (about $500 at the time) that consisted of a microdermabrasion- $120 treatment, followed by a Jessner's peel- $250 and up, and 3 glycolics - $75 for face/$95 for body if purchased individually...I did not have to pay all at once... (I was allowed to pay as I went along because I am an established long time patient the derm's office.

I was given a glycolic toner to prep with for about 10 days pre-peel (for oily/combination acne skin), a HQ/RA combo physician's formulated custom cream to prevent hyperpigmentation, and a Vitamin C powder to mix & apply at home post peel.

I prefer to go into my derm for peels when at all possible for the initial peels, (just because I feel the medical grades are stronger and can contain more beneficial ingredients/actives, lighteners, and can be combined with other acids, just my opinion)then continue to maintain them at home with DIY peels...

Also, in addition, what are your thoughts on buying my own peels off amazon? I dont have ACNE but I just have random residual acne scars/crater-like lines/blackheads...its somewhat mild and not insanely glaring so in the interest of cost/time/convenience, would you recommend any certain peels to try once a week perhaps?

Thanks.
    If you are the oily/combination skin type, I would recommend glycolic acid for acne scars at 20% to start and then increasing up to 30%. You would have to stay on schedule as far as routinely getting a series of peels done at regular intervals to see dramatic results. Glycolic is more intense, you will actually see the layers of damaged skin shed...Improvement is very noticable, yet, also careful when applying to avoid chemical burns.

Salicylic is more soothing, gentle, and drying for acne prone skin. Both would work equally well, but I think you would need to do more peel cycles to see results that can be produced rapidly by using glycolic. 10% salicylic acid or glycolic acid peels to start, can be used to prep the skin to prepare it for the peel beforehand. Salicylic 15%-30% will help remove oil and superficial skin cells and allow the skin to gradually shed discolorations.

As for the fine craters and pit marks, scars, hyperpigmentation, a Jessner's peel solution could knock all of this out in one whop without having to complete a series of glycolics, but you would have to prepared for the intensity & the peeling skin downtime....so, it's personal preference, more than anything else combined with how quickly you wish to see results. With the Jessner's, you just keep layering it according to your skin type, the amt of damage, and desired outcome/results....and b/c of the intensity of the peel, I preferred going into the derm's to get it professionally done & to ask LOTS of questions before even attempting try to do any peel at home.

So, pick a reputable company to buy your peels from. I usually don't recommend sites, but, I'm sure others could offer more variety, I just basically purchase from platinumskincare.com, they provide instructions and a high quality product line....

and if I am on a serious budget, I usually just purchase from E-bay according to the product I am looking for and seller's rating score.

For glowing skin I'd suggest the oil cleansing method. Don't be scared of the oilit really cleans the pores deep deep down. It's amazing you can feel all the grit from your pores while you rub the oil into your skin. LNL has a thread on oil cleansers. You can also make your own at home!

I also second the peels and microfiber cloth ideas (not together though!).
    Please excuse the mess of errors, I'm usually on my phone making it terribly hard to type properly!

I had a series of microderms/peels done by my Dr. I can't remember exactly how much it was............but it wasn't cheap!! In my opinion you can do your own peels for alot cheaper and have great results, depending on the the severity of your scars.

So maybe look into doing a couple professional microderms and then do a couple peels on your own.
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Another factor to consider - is what you put IN your body, not just ON it.

You must manage your hormones as well, which foods and supplements can greatly help.

Your diet plays such a role in the clarify of your skin.
    Theresa - 47 years beautiful

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements