Skin Care Talk banner

Rosewater and Rosehip seed oil

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  snowkitty 
#1 ·
I'm in search of Rosewater. Do I have to make it myself or is it readily available? I probably should as at my HFS. also, how much would/should I purchase if I'm using it in cremes or lotions?

Also, I've seen a blurb or two that Rosehip Seed Oil goes "rancid" in a short time. Is this true if you add some type of preservative? Natural, of course.

#3 ·
Goatie, thanks. There's a Carotein thread where I posted a question that should have been here. Maybe you'll see it, or someone else.
Thanks for the link, going to check it out now.

#5 ·
my rosehip seed oil has been ok so far in the fridge, I think you can add some sort of anti-oxidant to prevent the oil from oxidizing(going rancid), something like vit E. I think because it is oil and there is no water in it, it does not need a "real" preservative like one you'd use for a cream/lotion or anything.

#6 ·
Hi Becky,

You want to make sure you're purchasing a true rose hydrosol. Earlier in my DIY career I made the mistake of purchasing rosewater at a local healthfood store and later realized it was simply distilled water with some EO added. A true rose hydrosol is obtained through the process of distilling roses for their essential oil. In the process, the oil and water are separated when removed from the rose petals and the water leftover is called a hydrosol. There are different therapuetic/active properties in the hydrosol verses the oil. That is why you want to make certain you get a true hydrosol.

I order Rose Hydrosol from MountainRoseHerbs.com. They have reasonable prices, great service and very very reputable. I also get most of my carrier/specialty oils from them.

#8 ·
Qt, how COULD you do this to me.....ummm, I mean. how could you do this to my DH's wallet??? muahahahaha. He just loves all you guys...hahahahhaha
Really though, he is happy I found something I really like doing and doesn't even mind me being on here. Of course most of the time he's working at night.

If anyone misses me I'm checking out Essential Warehouse, per the link ^^^up there.

#9 ·
Essential Wholesale is great....I got HA, coffee butter (smells AMAZING! - makes my butt and thighs look super smooth - caffeine reduces the appearance of cellulite), neroli EO, and their Vital skin toner (nice smell and good ingredients - 1/2 gallon...I don't need toner for the next year
).

I spent close to $700 last weekend between Essential Wholesale, Lotioncrafter, Majestic Mountain Sage, and Texas Natural Supply....oops.
I have all sorts of oils, butters, and actives arriving soon.

#10 ·
I've been trolling the site. Still have not found anything I "need" yet.

Some stuff confuses me though. I'm still trying to decipher what is IN their "base" products.
I'm also not understanding the "blended" oils.
So, I have much more trolling to do. :0)
Thanks.

#11 ·
The blended oils are just various mixtures of EO...so you don't have to do all the work. This one sounds nice.

I tried a bunch of samples of their stuff. I liked one of the facial cleansers (Multi-tea cleanser I think?). The base products don't really smell good on their own but that's what the EOs are for.

#12 ·
I think what I got ahold of is distilled too.
It is Vor-Mag Water and Hydroessential Rose Oil.

I typed the whole thing out and lost it when I lost it all. Seems, from the description that Vor-Mag is a megnatixed type way of distillation. If you want to know particularly I could type it all out again.

#13 ·
Hi

Heritage Products rosewater is lovely, but I do not believe it is a true hydrosol (I researched this a while back since someone asked me about it). I tried Heritage about 9-10 years ago, it has a lovely smell. You can use it but it is not the same thing as a hydrosol (so it will have some of the same properties and some different ones).

The rosewater purchased at places like health food stores and middle east stores vary in quality. Some can be good and some aren't very good quality. Many of them are hydrosols that are the waste water from essential oil production, which is different from a hydrosol in which plants are distilled for the hydrosol itself (they use different distillation methods such as length of time distilled, etc). The kind that is distilled for the hydrosol itself is more potent and stronger (and also the smell is stronger too). I personally don't recommend ones that are the waste water unless you just want it to tone or are using it as a hair rinse, and aren't using it for the other properties.

You could make it yourself, but you'd need a small still or you'd have to rig a stove top still, and it requires a lot of fresh plant material.

For rosehip oil, in addition to refrigerating it or adding an antioxidant, you can also freeze excess amounts.

HTH

Cheers,
Li

#14 ·
Hi

For rosehip oil, in addition to refrigerating it or adding an antioxidant, you can also freeze excess amounts.

HTH

Cheers,
Li
Is this the case for all oils? I ordered a ton over the summer thinking I woul dhave all this time to work on my creations and note that some of them are close to reaching their shelf life. I'll never do that again! Money down the drain
. But if I can freeze, I might be able to extend some of them until i'm ready to use them.

Does freezing harm their properties?

#17 ·
I have a small refrigerator dedicated to my skin care/beauty products and ingredients. It is located in my bedroom - right on the way to the bathroom and also right next to my vanity area.

I did find a soda in there the other day - courtesy of my sweetie.

#19 ·
Hi

Freezing does not affect its cosmetic properties, and will extend shelf life the longest. I've frozen oils in the past, and I did not notice a decrease in their properties (I have been using carrier oils for about a decade). The only thing that might (stress the might) be a concern is vitamin content, but generally freezing usually preserves vitamins well. Like frozen food, there may be some loss of certain vitamins but for the most part the majority of most vitamins remain intact. If you are buying cold pressed or expeller pressed oils that are unrefined, freezing should not be a problem, since they are so rich in nutrients, that even if it loses a little, most of that vitamin will still be intact. If you are buying a solvent extracted or a refined oil (much rose hip oil on the market is solvent extracted/refined or sometimes cold or expeller pressed and then refined), then it is already stripped of vitamins. Definitely buy rose hip oil that is cold pressed unrefined or expeller pressed unrefined
And organic if possible.

I don't freeze very much (since things get used up pretty fast, and always buying new supplies for the business) but I sometimes freeze carrier oils if I bought too much. But refrigeration will also extend shelf life too, I refrigerate everything
Or just add an antioxidant if not refrigerating or freezing it.

Hi Beckydorn,

I don't store my cosmetics in my food fridge, I have a full size fridge/freezer, and also a mini fridge just for my skin care business/crafting
(before I opened my business, I used the mini fridge for personal use so I haven't stored cosmetic ingredients or products in my food fridge).

I don't think carrier oils would cause a problem (since many do not have a scent and the ones that have a scent, if tightly bottled the scent doesn't travel). I sometimes store frozen fruit in my big business fridge/freezer (since I make some ******* cosmetics like masks for myself) and it does not smell like anything in my freezer. Also my soapnut infusion (for my laundry, which I freeze in ice cube trays, so exposed to everything), does not smell like anything else (it only smells like soapnuts and also the herbs I add).

HTH

Cheers,
Li

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.