Vaccinating your animals?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 Last

Thread: Vaccinating your animals?

Vaccinating your animals?

Hope I don't offend anyone. I believe it needs to be done for the health and love of the animal. My brother adopted a min. pincher a year ago and refuses to do it. He says he's read to many things online that say how bad it is. I guess it's in the same thinking of kids and vaccinating. He also makes his own dog food but doesn't put any vitamins or healthy oils in the food, but says it better than bought food. He has made it a point to make him lean and his ribs show. He would only feed the dog once a day and he would gobble his food down. The dog also drinks no water and doesn't want any even if he puts it down. Has not given the dog a bath in 4 months, thinks it hard on the skin and the dog has dander. He now is feeding him 2x because someone told him the dog looked sick. Never gives him anything to chew on. I gave him a bully stick(made from bull penis) and the dog was on cloud nine. I know it sounds weird..lol.

He is living with my parents right now that's how I know what's going on. He made him some food yesterday and the ground turkey smelled so he thinks that why his food came up yesterday morning. I called the vet behind his back since it was the hoilday weekend thinking they could give me an idea what to do for food poisoning. Well because he hasn't been vaccinated they wanted to see him in case it was something else. And no, my brother wouldn't take him..simply because he knows everything.

Anyways I got off the subject. Do you believe it's important? I do when you consider everything. We had a dog when we were kids and my parents didn't vaccinate and the poor thing ended up getting distemper. That was so sad that to this day I can still remember it!
    Today is a brand new day..another chance..a new beginning Hidden Content .

When life is tough ask " What is it here to teach me?"
    Hurtful words can never be taken back, But there is always Forgiveness.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

First of all, how old do you think this dog is?
    My personal feeling is there is way too much vaccinating going on, but some of it has to be done in order to start up the antibodies. Here, rabies vax are required by law for dogs, but we do a 3 year vaccination instead of every year. Things like parvo and feline leukemia have to have the shots to develop the antibodies or the animals can die.

What has worked for us for things other than rabies is to get the puppy shots done, then to check the blood levels of antibodies, called getting blood titers ("tight-ers&quot. Once the initial antibodies have been developed, the vet can check the blood levels and then the animals are vaccinated only if the antibodies are too low. Usually our dogs and cat have maintain enough antibodies so it isn't necessary to vaccinate every year.

Dogs fed on a raw diet need less water than other dogs- they get the water through the raw food. I have done the raw food thing, but there is high quality kibble available, too.
    It sounds like your brother needs to go to a holistic vet and get an education on what is necessary and what is not. Do him a favor and the dog a favor and find one in your area who is highly recommended.

And tell him to give the dog something to chew! A kong toy with peanut butter if nothing else.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Living well is the best revenge.

Thanks Alexa, around here they say about every 17 months to 2years. Right now the vet had told me that there is alot of Parvo in the area that's why they wanted to see him. The dog is about 4 years old.

Have you ever met someone that their way was the only way and had blinders on? If you were to look up the word Bullheaded my brothers name would be right there. It doesn't matter what you present him with he says, "no I know what I'm doing."

His dog loves the kibble that I have, it Earthborn Holistic, I was impressed by the ingredients. And yes I did taste it just to see..wasn't too bad!

I really think some people should not be, Fur parents.

I agree, more of them than ever don't deserve to have an animal.

Funny you tasted the dog food, I haven't gone that far yet. Although when we had two dogs and they were eating raw diet, I spent so much effort getting their food ready that I would be willing to eat fast food when it came to mine. Now we just use the kibble.
    Yikes about the parvo! Brother's dog needs to be checked out so it won't get that. Hope he has at least been neutered. (Dog, not brother, although... LOL)
    It sounds like you are a good doggie aunt and your brother's dog is lucky you are in the family. Maybe you could sneak it to the vet when brother is elsewhere and get him a parvo shot .

Yes, family makes animal people the craziest! My niece has a wonderful little long haired dachshund. She drives with the dog snuggled around her neck! I told her she needs a car carrier so the dog won't be injured if she was in a wreck. Imagine one of those lonng dogs in a car wreck. Spinal injuries for sure! I send them catalogs with the carriers in them, hoping they will think they are cute and get one.
    So I know what you mean...

Honestly...I say good on him! From how you have described it...he does care for his dog and has gone to the effort of RESEARCHING things which is a thumbs up in my book. Although, it seems like he has sort of taken it to the extreme.

I can tell you...most dogs that are fed raw eat their dinner in half a second flat that is not out of the ordinary Supplements and vitamins aren't necesary, so long as the dog is getting the correct meat to bone ratio for it's weight and a small amount of pulsed veggies daily. I would suggest this fella looks a tad farer into what feeding a BARF or raw diet is about. It isn't sticking some ground turkey down once a day. Still, I applaud his efforts.

I don't think you should be knocking him, he is doing what he thinks is best, he just has it a little wrong. He seems a better owner than a large amount of the population these days.

Everything you said he says is correct. Just everything in moderation....YES it's bad for a dogs skin/coat to bathe it but 4 months is a bit OTT. Every 2-3 months or so is not enough to damage the coat. Maybe for a day or so but it doesn't last long....I am still on the fence with the whole vaccinate/dont argument so I do see where he is coming from however if parvo is active in your area, to me...that argument doesn't stand anymore. You have to take the information and apply it to your situation. It is just silly not to vaccinate in those circumstances.
    BAAAAMM!

I'm not knocking him for making the food, he just doesn't want to do the proper research. The poor dog stinks so bad you smell it when you walk in my parents house. I would think that would be a clue to bathe him.

As you said there should be no arguement about vaccinating since Parvo is in our area. He said his dog wont get a disease because he gives it garlic everyday. I haven't a clue what that's about.

If I thought my dog had food poisoning I would have him to the vet asap. But then I tend to treat my dog like he's human.

And just as a point of info, I have a Doberman that sleeps in the bed with me, and has only had a few baths in his life! They are incredibly clean dogs. The smell could be anything, from an illness to anal glands. I've fed BARF and variations of raw food, and I do think it is the ideal way. My dog was raised on raw diet and has been incredibly healthy. But like you said, you can't just throw ground turkey in there. It's got to be a balance of ingredients, and you have to do it the right way, or it's still not good for the dog.
    But her brother does need to do more research-- You can't ignore a parvo outbreak.

I use to have a Great Dane that slept between us as a puppy and continued to do it when he weighed 95 lbs. He still thought he was a pup.

i can understand the concern of vaccines for dogs. because i travel with my dog from brazil to america, and vice versa, each time i leave each country, they make me do the vaccines all over again. for example, in america, the rabies is every 3 years, and here its every year, so they don't except that she already has her rabies shot, and makes her get it again! that makes me uncomfortable.

i do see your brothers idea, but i think maybe being a little extreme? but maybe i am not understanding this right, but i don't think your brother is giving him the proper nutrition? i have two dogs. one is with me, and the other is with my parents in the US. the dog in the US has a skin disorder, called pyoderma, he suffered so much, until i put him on a raw food diet, adding omega oils to his food, and barley grass. this got rid of this disorder! its incredible how lovely his skin is....

the one vet i was bringing him too, was only offering to give cortisone shots, which were making him overweight and the skin was still the same.

but one thing i did notice when my dog first started the raw food diet, it wasn't enough food! he would gobble it up in one feeding, and begging for more! i was following the proper amounts required for his size, but i realized he needed more. so i would give him natural snacks to snack on, and added some dry food, which was organic and all natural, and this relaxed him and he was more satisfied with his food, and not begging anymore. his energy levels are so high for a 10 year old dog!

but i think it is important to vaccinate pets. where my mom lives, there are a ton of opossums and raccoons. but i agree above, and maybe your brother should take his dog to a holistic vet. they can offer great advice and put him on a better diet.
    Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.
    Sophia Loren

and i also think 4 months is extreme....to not bathe a dog...unfortunately my dog has to be bathed quite often, because of his skin issue. even though the diet has helped him, his skin must be cleansed with a special shampoo. but i feel that if he bathes him with a chemical free, all natural organic shampoo, bathing more often won't cause much harm.
    Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.
    Sophia Loren

12. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements