Skin Care Talk banner

eyelashes

19K views 85 replies 27 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Mine are toast. Before I got serious serious (because once upon a time I was only half-serious) about going all natural - I used Latisse for about 6 months. My eyelashes are finally going back to normal, it's bad news. I mean they were fine before but this process of going back to normal is not cool, some are longer, some are shorter, some are coming out, just thin and sad.

I want to formulate something asap to help with this because it just hit me like a ton of bricks that they are worse of than they were before the Latisse. How hindsight is alway 20/20...

Anyway, i'm too busy right now to research and a bit lazy at this very moment. Anyone know off hand what natural items would be good to restore health and strength to eyelashes? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
Myristol pentapeptide-17 is the only ingredient I know that has a perfect safety profile and great eyelash growth with it - good trial results. A SCT member, OverTheHill has a made and sold a product with this in it commercially which had excellent anecdotal results (he recruited through EDS and another skincare site to trials on his finished product). HTH

p.s. sorry I've just seen you want to formulate. I do actually make my own stuff using this but it is difficult to get hold of hence recommending the commercial source...

p.p.s. same ingredient also in Tarte http://www.zimbio.com/Beauty+Product...hancer+natural and Jan Marini's eyelash offerings http://truthinaging.com/eyes/reviewe...ini-lash-works

#17 ·
i can only answer from what i have read - after you stop using the latisse, your lashes will return to the way they were prior to using the product. I have not heard nor read anything indicating they would become thinner. one good thing - you can maintain your lashes by applying the product several times per week vs. daily.

#10 ·
Alrighty then!!! Another post from the Questionater.... Hmmm must change my username to that....

Now I have a valid reason to buy Castor Oil. Never believed in it for my skin before.

So, DragoN and Luna, you know I'm about to ask for a recipe so maybe you can just post one?? Haha

My lashes are pitiful. I get so much grief from friends for being "vain" that I am embarrassed to ask the Derm or my PCP for a script for Latisse. If I can make my own I'd LOVE it.

I always hate to even THINK of asking a Dr for something for "beauty" even though I know there's valid reasons for it. I just don't feel it's valid in my case. I just WANT to have better lashes.

#11 ·
Just saw this one on an advert on TV: https://secure.lashatone.tv/?b=3107&ref=dreamlashes.com
I'm wondering, (tongue in cheek) why you must "order" before learning the price of the product???
One trick I'm noticing is that the "trial" is free (on the face of things) but many companies take your CC information and then charge you for the "trial" product as well as automaticly put you on auto-re-order.
Still don't know the price and STILL I wonder why it says "appearance" of lashes and not that it gives you more growth of lashes. Hmmm

#12 ·
SHEESH!! I hate RIP-OFFS.
Keyed in random "contact" info in order to get to a price. Couldn't find it readily there either. But I squinted really hard and found this in the "terms" paragraph, AFTER the CC information and SUBMIT button....

"As a participant of our Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It Program, we'll send you 3 tubes of Lashatone™ to try RISK FREE for 30 days (a $239.85 value). You pay only $7.95 for shipping and processing today. If you like your results and want to continue having longer-looking lashes, you don't have to do anything else. Your credit card will be automatically billed 3 equal payments of $69.95 with the first payment charged 30 days after you receive the shipment, your second payment 30 days later, and your shipment's final payment at the end of 90 days.

To ensure you do not run out and guarantee this low price, you will be enrolled in our Beauty Program and will receive 3 new tubes every 90 days. The credit card you provided today will automatically be charged the low price of $69.95 a month and a small shipping and processing fee of $7.95 for each shipment. All NJ residents will be charged sales tax. Customers can call to cancel any future shipments at any time.

If you're not completely satisfied, simply call 888-621-4054 to request an RMA and return 3 tubes of Lashatone™ within 30 days after receipt of the product – even if the tubes are empty – to avoid further payments. Customers will be responsible for return postage. Upon issuing an RMA, all future shipments for Beauty Auto Ship Program members will be automatically cancelled. Please note: The Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It Program is for first-time customers only."

That is an UNBELIEVABLE price!!! Is Latisse and such products that expensive???
I'll NEVER spend $70 a month for eyelashes!!

#13 ·
I have been using castor oil on my lashes and eye area for about 2 months now and I really notice the difference. I highly recommend it! It took about 2 weeks or so before I noticed that my lashes were longer. It doesn't seem to have thickened them at all but I definitely have more length.

As an added perk, the castor oil has smoothed some fine lines around my eyes.

#21 ·
You can buy empty mascara bottles & apply like a mascara. I've just been applying with my finger to my eye area and over my lashes & lash line (with eyes closed, of course!)

I've read that coconut oil can thicken lashes... I just made up a batch of castor and coconut combined to see if I can thicken them up some. The castor oil definitely gave me more length.

I also OCM and I do believe that getting my lash line really clean every night before applying the oil helps. I OCM with olive oil and desertroses's comment leads me to believe that this is helpful too.

#25 ·
i was "blessed" with skimpy short lashes
- have been using careprost for a while and i now have these crazy long lashes, but they don't seem to be much thicker. what's the diff. with the oo vs. the evoo? SashaJB???

#34 ·
Laura B ... if and when you find empty mascara bottles, please share where you find them ... maybe ebay???

Thanks.

Libra
Libra, I'm not LauraB but I'm thinking it may be doable to check Sally Beauty if you have one near you. They have all sorts of tools of the trade. It would certainly be something that many makeup artists must have on hand. I know when I sold cosmetics that we bought them by the gross to use on clients. I know makeup counters do the same. Hmmmm, wonder if you could make friends with a cosmetic counter??? Hmmm
Ok, maybe not. I'm sure there's an "ethics" issue there.

#40 ·
As far as i remember,(i was a teen when i started using castor oil) I started like that way..with my finger..

[/QUOTE] I've just been applying with my finger to my eye area and over my lashes & lash line (with eyes closed, of course!)[/QUOTE]

Or sometimes was using Qtip, easy and quick...

And at some point, i did the trick using the old mascara brushes for applying castor oil....(after all as a mascara junkie a had and still have a lot old mascara brushes)!

#38 ·
To anwer the question about Latisse from a Latisse user, my personal opinio is this:

My lashes were out of this world, like completely insane, which says a lot since i'm quite european, german, french roots. It definitely works They were darker, longer, thicker. But it's not worth it to me. Latisse and it's derivatives work through a hormonal effect which, might seem amazing now, but down the road, i'm not okay with being an experiment.

Yes my lashes went back to normal and the transition sucks. Get ready for brittle lashes, breakage, etc. Be prepared to trim uneven lashes, lame just lame. I'm sure they will be okay eventually but the process sucks. Not worth it unless you're okay with getting hooked on a solution to a problem that isn't even a problem. My lashes were fine. Now I need to nurse them back to health.

I wear all mineral make up including mascara. They look okay, but not like they used to *sigh*. I'm starting my castor oil tonight and going to take a look at what Dragon posted.

#43 ·
You can buy empty mascara bottles & apply like a mascara. I've just been applying with my finger to my eye area and over my lashes & lash line (with eyes closed, of course!)

I have been on-line looking for empty mascara bottles ... where can I buy these? I have tried Sally's ... they don't carry them ... I can find them in huge quantities ... but not one or two ... any ideas? Thank you ...

Libra
xxoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.