Skin Care Talk banner

Age appropriate clothing?

94K views 148 replies 27 participants last post by  beyrouth 
#1 ·
Now that I'm 35, I'm having a hard time getting dressed these days. I love fashion, but not sure what to wear for my age? I don't want to look too young, nor too old?
When people meet me for the first time they assume I'm about 25/26 years old. When I reveal kids, marriage then age they are blown away or think I'm lying about my real age? I have a few fabulous items in my wardrobe but I'm clueless about how to dress appropriately for my new age. I'm not into short shorts, mini-skirts, nor revealing too much flesh like cleavage anymore. I've done so much of it when i was younger that I now prefer looking a bit more sophisticated but need that sophistication to be age appropriate? My husband doesn't understand why I'm not into tight and sexy anymore, I am not comfortable dressing up in that way anymore?
Ideas and advice are always welcome ;-)

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
i like to look at bcbg.com for ideas and banana republic.

also i like the spring look of ralph lauren, and i like to get ideas from this look, and try to buy pieces that are similar at the mall, and put an outfit together that is similar from an outfit that i liked in his collection.

i like jennifer anistons everyday style, because its neutral, easy to copy off, without breaking a budget, and still sexy without looking trashy.

#6 ·
If you are active and in good shape ... you can wear whatever you so desire ... unless it is ridiculous for any age ... I find myself wearing clothing as conservative as St. John ... yet as crazy as some of the very upscale designers ... too much cleavage is inappropriate at any age ... (imo) ... so just go with what is most lovely on your now-body ... you know when you look beautiful ... and only you know when you 'feel' beautiful and comfortable ... that is what you should say to your husband ... furthermore, there is nothing more lovely than sophistication ... as far as I am concerned ... and if you play around with your clothes, you can still be really really trendy and sexy ... yet still classy and sophisticated ...

Much luck ...

Libra

#7 ·
I think that (and it just my opinion) wear what you are comfortable in. I am in no way a fashion diva, but I know if I am happy with my bod and the clothes are comfortable than I feel good. Peoples tastes change like the seasons. Today I may shy away from something that tomorrow I think it is to die for.

#12 ·
Well, I would start with anything written on clothing is a no-no. No "angel," no "princess" nothing written across your butt. Then when you look in the mirror ask yourself, When I was in high school, would I have been embarrassed if my mom showed up to pick me up from school in this? If the answer is yes, take it off. And my last tidbit of advice is if it's UNDERwear it is meant to be worn UNDER, not on top.

You will make all the right choices b/c you're a smart lady!!!

#13 ·
No not like that (aside from the glass of wine.=) edit (a reference to fawnie's ab fab photo)

Cheeta I know how you feel! I say dress to your body type and to who you want to be as well as what feels right to you. I have to dress a certain way for work and although I work in a fairly creative field, I dress accordingly and to what I want to be perceived as, while adding my own personal flare. When I am with friends and family I am very casual - jeans, boots and tees are my staples. (boring really - I think I need to jazz this part up)

Listen to your inner voice, if it says "yes! I feel good in this and I look good in this" then go for it!

#15 ·
Hi cheetahgirl-- You can get a lot of good outfit ideas from Lucky magazine & quick fashion scoop from Harper's Bazaar.
I went through the same thing at your age, couldn't figure out what to wear. I've bought a lot of the style guides over the years-- they're all about the same in terms of content. Nancy Plummer has a style book that's a little more $ & not at the bookstore, you'd have to order it. Or just flip through a few at Borders & pick one that resonates with you. I've started collecting them actually.

Sorry I'm on my phone or I'd post Nancy's blog. You Look Fab is a good blog also.

#19 ·
Re: Age appropriate clothing?
Everyone has her/his favorite designer. I like Donna Karan: typifies the easy American style w/o looking too casual. Wearable at any age. Simple well-constructed designs. Timeless.

Perfect dress ... love it ... and it is so age appropriate (any age) ... from 17 to 70 ... and still look fab and classic ... stunning ... and classy/sexy ...

La Dolce ... those are typical mid-west mommas!!

#22 ·
LOL! It kills me to see people out and about in their pajamas. WTF? I can almost, not really, but almost understand it on a plane. But the grocery store?????

#26 ·
At 35, I don't think you should be fretting about dressing "age appropriate" - you are still young. My daughters are 35 and 37, both are fashion conscious and like to look "in vogue" but not "in fashion" if you get my meaning.

It's me that has the problems - at 61 I'm too old for the girly, girly high street look but I hate all the matronly clothes that are designed for my age group. I like to look edgy, a little left of centre. I'm finding it more and more difficult to find clothes that fit me (read not skimpy) but are on trend and don't look like a tent. So I tend to buy fairly plain clothes and dress them up with statement accessories.

I do like Donna Karan - but it's a little too pricey for me and doesn't really fit in with my beach style lifestyle.

#27 ·
Hi cheetahgirl, a few more blog that may help---

quick cheat notes on what's in style
Fashion Trends- Current Fashion Trends | Refinery29.com

Cool phone app
trendtracker by trendstop.com - Free fashion trend news, trend reports, catwalk designer picture galleries for your mobile phone - download now for free!

The problem of being in your mid 30s and not knowing what to wear is that you've changed yet you may not have purged your wardrobe of things that no longer really work for you, or maybe haven't updated or found your favorite things to wear. I'm saying this from my own perspective of what I went through after I turned 35... I had to replece most of my wardrobe.

Here a few books I also found helpful:

Amazon.com: Fierce Style: How to Be Your Most Fabulous Self (9780446546010): Christian Siriano, Rennie Dyball, Tim Gunn: Books
Chrisitan says to update your basics, find your signature style, and find some way to dress every day that isn't boring. The book is mostly about attitude but is good advice for people of all ages.

Amazon.com: Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour: Rachel Zoe, Rose Apodaca: Books
Rachel's all about glamour, accessories and what she calls the "wow" factor-- one item that makes your outfit pop. She also has great advice for how to dress on your day off.

Amazon.com: The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece (9781592400362): Andrea Linett, Kim France: Books
This book is from the early 2000s and is dated; it is great for basic tips on how to build a good wardrobe.

Amazon.com: Harper's Bazaar Fabulous at Every Age: Your Quick & Easy Guide to Fashion (9781588168092): Nandini D'Souza, Jenny Barnett, Glenda Bailey: Books
This book is an example of the "how to dress for your age" approach. I'm not that impressed with it.

Amazon.com: Style Clinic: How to Look Fabulous All the Time, at Any Age, for Any Occasion (9780060793548): Paula Reed: Books
This is one I've looked a lot but haven't bought. Has the dress for your age slant.

Amazon.com: Your Personal Style (9781563675904): Nancy Plummer: Books
Another I haven't bought but which looks interesting.

My own advice--
*Wear what you like
*Update your basic from time to time
*Add in style items seasonally
*Have signature pieces you wear daily like rings or earrings
*Have a signature look-- ie, dressed up, casual, boho etc.
*Have lots of options that you feel good about: more is better, especially in terms of tops, jewlery and shoes
*But always have good basic items on hand
*Maxi dresses are foolproof, look good on just about everyone and have been in style for years-- buy a few for summer
*If you want to continue to dress like you do now, diet. Just sayin'

#28 ·
Thank you all! Makes it so much easier for me now. I still want to feel and look a bit sexy, but not sleezy. I also love DK and that is a gorgeous outfit. I do tend to look at and buy trendier clothing but too afraid to wear it. I normally just return it and wear something casual in black. I now have too many black items and rather sick of that colour..Thanks again everyone ;-)

#30 ·
Yeah, I can see that. But the grocery store? Or the mall? Or a restaurant? I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.