Skin Care Talk banner

Age appropriate clothing?

94K views 148 replies 27 participants last post by  beyrouth 
#1 ·
Now that I'm 35, I'm having a hard time getting dressed these days. I love fashion, but not sure what to wear for my age? I don't want to look too young, nor too old?
When people meet me for the first time they assume I'm about 25/26 years old. When I reveal kids, marriage then age they are blown away or think I'm lying about my real age? I have a few fabulous items in my wardrobe but I'm clueless about how to dress appropriately for my new age. I'm not into short shorts, mini-skirts, nor revealing too much flesh like cleavage anymore. I've done so much of it when i was younger that I now prefer looking a bit more sophisticated but need that sophistication to be age appropriate? My husband doesn't understand why I'm not into tight and sexy anymore, I am not comfortable dressing up in that way anymore?
Ideas and advice are always welcome ;-)

Thanks in advance!

#32 ·
You can also google "how to dress for your age". I ran across article which mentions the now ubiquitous "ten years younger" thing so you might want to keep that in mind also. You are 35 & no longer want to look like a 25 year old, but you aren't sure what 35 really looks like... I wasn't either. But, the game changes after you turn 40. I promised I'd purge all my stuff out but now I'm finding I don't want to. I'm stalling on getting rid of things I probably shouldn't wear anymore... because of the ten years younger factor and that on a good day, I really can look younger but I don't think that much younger.
It really takes a lot of work past a certain age, just giving you a heads up. I would like to keep the same style I had in my 30s simply because I'm too small to buy a whole new old chick wardrobe.

This is a fairly recent article...

How to dress your age | Life and style | The Observer

Ten years younger is all over the Internet, I won't post any of that.

#36 ·
HEY BEAUTY! I've missed you mucho!

#37 ·
I loved seeing this question about age appropriate clothing. Now at age 55 I am stumped when it comes to dressing. It's difficult for me to find clothing that fits in the women's department as they rarely carry anything smaller then a size 2 (funny, when I was 30 I wore a size 2 and I am still the same size I was then, I guess that tells you the manufacturers are making everything bigger then they used to). Although the junior departments sell clothes that fit me they are far too young looking and not as well made. Since I no longer work I dress in jeans and yoga wear. I'm just as confused as you are. I don't want to dress like a grandma (yes I am soon to be one) but I don't want to look like one of my teenagers. I live in the midwest in a city of 125,000. Nobody dresses up here unless it's a special occassion. Every time I go shopping I am completely stumped as to what I should buy or if I can even find anything that fits. I used to love fashion, now I am just confused.

#39 ·
I tried to find the link to Lucky's 30 Days of Outfits & the current spread is not online. Some of the past seasons are though.

Lucky does this article about once a season based on pieces pulled from the current season... a bunch of current basics with accessories put in to outfits for day and weekend. Sometimes this article can be really good. The current article features a lot of very basic neutrals... it's OK, not as good as what Andrea Linnett used to do. I think she left when Kim France did. The March issue is still on the stands & has I think 90 combos put together...

A few years ago they did a version of this article called something like "10 cute tops and bottoms". It was really eye opening what all they were able to do with just 10 tops and bottoms....

So that might be the place to start: go buy 5 new bottoms and a 5 new tops. Then what I like to do is go to Buffalo Exchange, a resale store in the southwest and California, and load up on whatever I can find that appeals to my aesthetic....tops, seasonal sweaters, sometimes I find skirts and dresses also. I've seen things at Buffalo that are still on the rack at the mall or were just there a few weeks or months ago...also, labels from pretty much all prices ranges and brands, except very high end.

I've been able to build several good work wardrobes using this approach. Keeps people guessing where I got my stuff.

#40 ·
You already got some good advise. I would say, forget age.
Wear clothes that makes you look/feel nice and comfortable.
Here my tips for wearing dresses.

I love shift dresses, they don't have to look boring, I have different lengths, fabrics in cotton/linen/silk/raw-silk/knit etc. colors, florals, stripes. You can have different outfits wearing the same shift and you will always look elegant/classy and turning heads.
Make your statement with jewellery, shoes/handbags/belts, scarves,
pashminas, jackets, leggings or just plain

#43 ·
What kind of lives do these magazine writers live? These are the designers that she suggests for your 50s: The best designers for a woman just hitting her fashionable stride are: Tory Burch, Tse, Gucci, Rachel Roy, Liz Claiborne, Michael Kors, Vera Wang, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Kay Unger and Diane Von Furstenberg. I'm sorry to admit that I have never owned one piece of designer clothing - all my clothing is purchased from high street stores or department stores at the mall. Plus I'm in my 60s and still don't own a real string of pearls.

What we wear is determined mostly by our lifestyle - I happen to live in the tropics in a holiday resort type town. Everyone here gets around in relaxed type of clothing - I would look ridiculous sashaying down the street in Vera Wang and killer heals! Of course, it's nice to dress up for special occasions - but still, that would hardly require a wardrobe full of designer outfits.

Really, I don't think age should come into it - it's all about good taste. There are plenty of young people wearing age appropriate clothing who still look tasteless and tacky. There are also plenty of mature age women wearing age appropriate clothing who look frumpy and dowdy. I think anyone can wear whatever they like as long as it's done with style and taste - and you don't need the bank balance of a celebrity to achieve it either!

#46 ·
I would probably have been the one to say no bikinis at 60. I don't think anyone, however good their body, should wear a bikini after a certain age. That's just my personal opinion. I think Helen Mirren looked great in her bikini, but at the end of the day there was just this feeling of she's still old for that. I don't want to ever appear to be desperately hanging onto my youth. I want to age gracefully. That's why I do all the things I do for my skin. I want to look younger and act younger and be believable. I don't want to appear to be desperate about it. I think bikinis on older women aren't attractive and I would never do it, but if you do, and you feel good about it, brava!

#47 ·
I just can't relate wearing a bikini to being desperate about holding onto one's youth. In Europe lots of women go topless on the beach and nobody bats an eyelid. If I were to wear a one-piece - would that be ok? What is so negative about a strip of stomach skin. As for Helen Mirren - she did look great. She was just having a swim for heavens sake - in what possible way does she look inappropriate?

Edited to add: I just wanted to note that on the red carpet, Helen Mirren usually ops for a dress with sleeves - why? because women over 60 tend to look more elegant with their arms covered. So I agree that sometimes concessions have to be made for age. However, bathing at the beach should be exempt.

#52 ·
I don't want to see fat breasts hanging down to some old lady's knees ... I prefer to not have an upset tummy ... conversely ... I don't want to see the same on some young lady's knees ... it's disgusting ... in fact, ... I can't believe it when I see an overweight girl here in LA with her middrift open and fat skin hanging over ... it simply isn't appropriate ... and I am always so tempted to say "do you have any idea whatsoever how awful you look ... "

Hey ... if one is totally fit ... that's okay and utterly beautiful ... otherwise, keep it tucked in pretty please ...

Just imo ...

No offense intended ...

xxoo
Libra

#55 ·
Fawnie - lol What you feel comfortable in - meaning do not try to wear something bc you think you should and feel completely uncomfortable, thus not being confident!! But heck, if you can be confident in PJ's, go for it!! As I say, if you don't like it, don't look!!

#56 ·
I was at the mall one day and a young girl was walking in front of me - she was overweight and had on a tiny denim skirt which only came half-way down her bottom - her nickers were clearly visible. This was not a pleasant site at all! Crimes of fashion can be perpetrated by all ages.

#57 ·
I have question? Does anyone else have any problems finding clothes that fit in the womens section of say Macy's or another department store? I am 31 and the clothes in the women's section are too big. I hate it but I always buy from the misses or even the juniors section. Anybody else have that issue?

#58 ·
I have no opinion on bikinis per se-- people should wear what they feel comfortable in. Personal style past the mid 30s though...... I think Kate Moss is timeless in a lot of ways. However no I don't want to see her in hot pants, a low slung belt & a rock shirt when she's 42. Even if it looks good.

Kendall Farr has stricter styling aesthetics for the over 40 crowd....she's a little conservative, actually. She makes some astute observations in her book Style Evolution: How to Create Ageless Personal Style in Your 40s & Beyond. Says all 40+ year olds should ditch skinny jeans....I'm very petite & can't imagine it! But less than 6 months in to being 40 I'm starting to wonder if Kendall is right about a lot of things....

#59 ·
I love wearing junior stuff ... BUT I own my business so I can wear anything I so desire to wear day in and day out ... (excluding evenings of course or going out attire) ... and I choose to wear (mostly black) dance wear ... tights and tight fitting tops ... leggings ... boots ... I sort of look like a ballerina walking around ... hair pulled back ... and I can't tell you how comfortable and fab it feels to dress this way ... clearly I do not dress this way for business encounters and evening events but the rest of the time, I am wearing dance clothes minus the tutu!!

Try it!!! You will see how easy and care free this way of dressing is (if you don't have to work in a corporate environment) ...

xxoo
Libra

#65 ·
Fawnie - Not so much
unfourtantly Most of the time I order online, but sometimes I like to go shop in person, and the clothes in the womens dept do not fit. I could get them tailored, but idk they don't really look right either. Not sure what it is. But I am over 30 and don't want to be looking too teeny bopperish. I usually wear very classic, simple piecies, so it may not be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.