Skin Care Talk banner

Age appropriate clothing?

94K views 148 replies 27 participants last post by  beyrouth 
#1 ·
Now that I'm 35, I'm having a hard time getting dressed these days. I love fashion, but not sure what to wear for my age? I don't want to look too young, nor too old?
When people meet me for the first time they assume I'm about 25/26 years old. When I reveal kids, marriage then age they are blown away or think I'm lying about my real age? I have a few fabulous items in my wardrobe but I'm clueless about how to dress appropriately for my new age. I'm not into short shorts, mini-skirts, nor revealing too much flesh like cleavage anymore. I've done so much of it when i was younger that I now prefer looking a bit more sophisticated but need that sophistication to be age appropriate? My husband doesn't understand why I'm not into tight and sexy anymore, I am not comfortable dressing up in that way anymore?
Ideas and advice are always welcome ;-)

Thanks in advance!

#69 ·
For as long as I can remember, I am always topless on beaches all over
the world. Of course I don't 'parade' topless up and down every where. But in
countries like Seychelles, Mauritius, Jamaica and Greece I walk and stay topless the whole time. but I will never go topless on very big beeches like Bondi breech.
I know I look and feel good and to be very honest, I don't care what or
how any other woman dress or look. It is a beech and people are there
to enjoy themselves, not to criticize or judge others ?

#71 ·
DR ...

Do you think that you could get away with it on a golf course situated in one of those countries ... wouldn't that be hilarious!!! I remember wearing a long skirt and no shoes playing golf once!!! (Country Club Setting!) Came from a party and we were in the mood ... no one asked us to leave!!! I simply cannot take off my top and walk around for some reason ... doesn't matter where I am ... AND I'm French!!! Modesty can be such a darn bore ...

xxoo
L.

#74 ·
No one is suggesting that we should be able to rip off our clothes and prance around half naked anywhere. What we wear on a beach is different to what we wear anywhere else.

I would also make the point that often suggestive dressing is far more overtly sexual than nakedness. Think Jennifer Lopez in that Vercace dress which she wore to the Grammys.

#73 ·
Oh I know it has nothing to do with being European/American/African etc.
One of the first things I learned as a girl - is to know how and what to wear when and where, different seasons/occasions. Going topless is for the beach.
Wow, you were brave, were you intoxicated ?

#76 ·
LOL it helps doesnt it! ^^

I was surprised that in Italy I had absolutely no problem going topless by the lake. In USA I would be way too shy. Even ones who had no business going topless did so there with seemingly no self-consciousness at all. *beverages* were involved, ofc.

#84 ·
Just my opinion, but I dont think wearing a bikini, or even going topless at 60 signifies desperation at trying to look young. If one has worn a bikini all one's life and stays fit and trim and has the attitude to carry it off, by all means continue to do so! Just a matter of style.

#85 ·
And that's why the world goes 'round. Everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them.

#88 ·
Keliu, why are you so upset about this? I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't mean you personally. I have never seen you in your bikini or otherwise. I was simply talking in generalities, what *I* think and what *I* feel when I see an older woman in a bikini. Do you want me to lie and say I don't and that's it's fine? Okay. I think it's great. I think it's fine.

Feel better?

Seriously. If you want to go to the beach and wear a bikini, I think I've said three or four times now, that is entirely up to you. I think you should. Regardless of what I or anyone else thinks. That is your absolute right. I never told you you shouldn't so I'm not sure what your argument is. Do you want to change how I think? Or what my response is? Why would you want to change me? I'm not hurting you, just as you're not hurting me.

In answer to your question about the men with beer guts - a resounding YES, cover that up!!!

To me, a woman of a certain age, no matter how great she looks, has no business in a bikini. Not everything that young kids do and have and say should be replicated by mature adults, IMO. That is MY personal preference, just as yours is to wear a bikini on the beach.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this!

#92 ·
HAHAHAHAHA!

For me it isn't a matter of how much skin you're showing, or if it's risque or any of that. For me, it's more a matter of personal taste. I just think there are some things that are best left to the younger ones. I had my day in a bikini and I wore the he!! outta it! But that day is past. Better left to my daughter and her friends now.

#90 ·
MsFancyPants - you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, of course you are - and I don't have a problem with your attitudes to propriety.

I do have a problem with being called "desperate". I don't wear a bikini to try to regain my long lost youth and I've never been an exhibitionist. A two-piece swimming costume is not just the domain of the young. There are plenty of two-piece bathing costumes or bikinis that are aimed at the more mature figure. I would never wear a bathing costume that consisted of three tiny little triangles for example. I do have to wear substantially more fabric!

As for bear chested men - well you'd better not come to Queensland Australia! Most men here are to happy to get around shirtless whenever they can.

#91 ·
I don't believe I called you desperate. If you re-read my posts, I think I said that that is what I usually think when I see an older woman in a bikini. That is not to say that I would think that about you b/c you may look fab and I'd think, Wow, look at how good she looks. I don't know b/c I haven't seen you. I was just talking very generally. Very generally speaking, women after about 35 usually don't look very good in a bikini and yeah, to ME, they look like they're desperately trying to stay young. I can't explain why I feel that way, but I'm being honest when I say that's usually the first thing that pops into my mind. Along with when I see some older woman with "Princess" or "Angel" or "Too Hot" written across their butt. Or in hot pants. Or when they say things like "Fo sho" or "Hit me back." LOL!

#93 ·
Anyways, I was on a fishing boat visiting some dolphins on Sunday and had the chance to ride along side them in the boom net.

No swim stuff, towels, nothing else with me. What's a "girl" (just turned 39) to do? Let age-appropriate dressing get in the way of some fun? I don't think so!

So I just stripped off down to my bra and knickers and dived in. I did check with the captain first who was fine with it

#102 ·
Another thing that doesn't look good as you age - tattoos.

#111 ·
9 times out of 10 later in life of course......people wish they would have thought about the aging process while getting that beautiful tattoo-

That pefect rose you picked out for your lower back at 25.....30 years later, it is down near your hamstring!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.