Why Is Math So Boring, And Why is Algebra So Tough?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Why Is Math So Boring, And Why is Algebra So Tough?

Why Is Math So Boring, And Why is Algebra So Tough?

I have final exams in 2 weeks, and I can't describe to you how terrified I am of the Algebra exam. I'm taking English and Pre-algebra. The english class, I have about a C in. In algebra, I have an F.

I have dreaded math since the fourth grade--ever since I was introduced to multiplication and division. Everything after that, including decimals, percentages and fractions, just went over my head. I don't know why I find math so boring, but I think if there is a hell, math could be one of it's themes.

Is there anyone here who actually likes math, and could you please explain to me what algebra is all about? I know tht it's a skill that will be needed in the real world (I've looked it up) so I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying, I don't comprehend it at all. I wish I could, then I wouldn't feel so left out. I always feel like my instructor is speaking a foreign language, and I'm the only person in the classroom who doesn't speak the language. I don't even have questions to ask, because I have no idea what he's saying in the first place.

I know that my obliviousness is, in part, due to the fact that I never really learned how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals and fractions. I don't know if I really even know how to do long subtraction, multiplication, and division. or correctly estimate. I've forgotten a lot of what I did know (been away from it for about 7 or 8 years).

As I said, I am literally terrified--like sweaty palms, and trembling bones--of failing my math class, because, the school board and government (financial aid department) has given me so many chances that if I fail this time, I will, indefinitely, be disqualified from ever receiving any type of financial aid again. It's also going to ruin many of my lshort-term and ong-term goals... so I really feel trapped. I've asked around for tutoring, and everyone I ask either doesn't know algebra themself or is too busy to lend any extra time. I'm trying my hardest not to give up, because I'm trying to break that pattern. But I just don't know what to do. Between my math and english class, I have so much to cram in 2 weeks--one class 1 week and a half.

By the way, I also realize that one of the little things slowing me down a is not knowing my times tables by heart. I don't know why I have a phopbia of memorizing things, but Xs tables is definitely one of those huge feats I want to conquer! It's a very simple and basic thing to most people, but to me, it's like being a Knight trying to slay the great dragon.

I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill with times tables, but how did you learn them, and what would you say is the quickest way to learn them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

flashcards
    repetition
    repetition
    repetition

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

My 11 year old is just as terrified of math. I was to as a child. I hope she can find a good friend to tutor her
    Top 3 products for skin Vit C serum, RA and SS

Yes, I agree with fawnie. Practice! Practice! Practice! Do as many homework problems as you can. Also, if you go to youtube and search for the section you need help on, that should help. They have some pretty good tutors. For your exam, how many sections do you have to cover? You should do problems section by section so you won't be some overwhelmed.
    Warning: I come with typos Hidden Content

You are probably quite artistic ... if so, then forget about learning anything involving math ... it is one or the other it seems ... I am an artist ... never could figure out math stuff and hated it ... but loved to paint and draw ...

xxoo

Fire, have you gone to your counselor and asked about getting some sort of tutoring?? This has to be an option for you. I am assuming your in college, being you are speaking of financial aid, etc?? If so, then I KNOW there is tutuoring available. If you can't talk to a counselor then make an appt to talk to your professor. Make them aware of the problem you are having. Math does not come easy for most people. But YOU must reach out and get the help you need before it is too late. Sometimes all it takes is just reaching out for help and having someone take the time to explain it in a way that you will understand. My son is in college.....and had to repeat a math class.......he switched professors and it made a world of difference. He completely "gets" it now. It just takes that certain instructor to explain it in a way that makes sense to you. Once this happens.....everything starts to make sense and the light goes on.

So PLEASE just reach out for some help, before it is too late-
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

Tell me exactly what you need to learn in math, like topics.
    I'll help you in whatever lesson you need to know.

(I'm seriously not a math expert, but Algebra I do understand a bit... hit/miss)

But if you do not understand the basics, it's seriously much more difficult. Just aim to pass the exams.

Algebra is like the basis of every math you'll have in college... so yeah, you'll actually need to understand the reasons why every formula works.

Not every person is a math person, I understand that... I'm technically not a math person. I don't enjoy it as much as what it enables, but it can be fun. That said, imo algebra is about as easy as it gets.

What exactly are you having problems with? Functions? Logs? Those are really the only things I can thing of that might be a bit less easy, comparatively. I can help if i have time, but understanding is something that needs to be discovered as you work the problems... not like having someone work the problems for you. That's tantamount to looking at the book without actually reading it.

Tbh tho, asking online will be a lot less effective than seeking help on a more personal basis.
    Fawnie:
    "I like to think we're here to help and share and encourage...SCT rocks!! We are the most beautiful girls (and handsome guys) on the planet!!!!"
    Hidden Content

How did I even pass that? You know that part in the algebra book, I think algebra 2, about the sine, cosine, and whatever... tangeants too.

Useless knowledge really, since I will never use it, but it does help you become a stronger person when you really know you suck at it, but then you see, "Oh I did pass the test and received a 85% I must not be clueless after all!"

The only way I passed that was studying 6 hrs a night, and then I watch youtube videos about it, and then I explain it in my own words. Totally worth it.

Sucks that it took me 6 hrs to get something that probably most people just need to do a homework assignment and get it.

Math just doesn't come naturally to many people, regardless of how intelligent they may be. I think Gymie said it best, we all need that "one" who can explain it in a way we comprehend.
    Hidden Content SOME MORNINGS IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE EFFORT TO CHEW THROUGH THE KNOTS! Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements