Skin Care Talk banner

old scars, spots & marks

41K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Rachy 
#1 ·
hi,
i have sensitive skin. if i get hurt or scratch a mosquito bite it leaves a mark on my skin. As a result i have marks an my legs & shoulder. I can't wear skirts or backless tops...i tried using mederma tube but haven't seen any difference and as i stay in Mumbai, India Bio oil is not available...can you suggest alternatives for it......i am getting married in few months and would like to get rid of these marks...please help

#2 ·
Hi Samantha & welcome!

I also scar easily-- it's such a pain, isn't it? Sometimes this can be a symptom of an underlying condition. You may want to check with your doctor. I find that taking Omega 3s (internally) really helps. I take Krill Oil but you could also take fish oil or flax oil if you are a vegan/vegetarian.

Obviously, not picking or scratching at bumps and bites will help it from scarring. Keep the skin externally hydrated helps too. I've heard that rosehip seed oil and helichrysum essential oil is a a nice combo for scars but haven't ever used it since rosehip seed oil causes my acne to flare up.

I'm sure that there are other methods that someone else may chime in with. Again, I would be sure that you are a-ok on the inside and that you are not deficient in anything because no external solutions will fix the underlying problem in that case.

#3 ·
Go to the pharmacy and get:
- Retin-A Cream
- Hydroquinone 4%

Twice a day do the following:
- Put a light layer of retin-a on the area with scarring
- Wait 15 mins
- Put a light layer of hydroquinone on the same area

If you can order on the internet I would suggest getting Lactic Acid peel 40%. It is one of the mildest peels to use and eventually (with the help of retin-a and hydroquinone) will get rid of the scarring.

HTH & congratulations on your upcoming marriage

#7 ·
I could not get retin a at the pharmacy stores here....i am not sure its availabe in Mumbai..my dermatologist recommended Zincort-C. Its composition is Clobetasol, Clotrimazole, Zinc sulphate...i tries using t for a a week bt didn't c a diff...should i discontinue it....what else can i do???

#11 ·
Girl I hope im not late, im working on my spots rite now. Go on skin lightening forum u wil find lots of info there. Go on amazon n order tca peel from skin obsession also get yourself some fade cream like neoprosone. Do the peel just on the spots wait 2 weeks after peeling n spots treat with neo. Good luck

#19 ·
I have a scar on my upper lip but its not black. My upper lip is black but the scar is light...Any advise? Would YPO help? Lactic Acids? I've had it since 2000. A little backstory: One morning back in 2000 I woke up and the right side of my upper lip was felt a bit strange. It itched a big and felt like there was something there. I looked in the mirror and i saw a medium sized pimple. Being a self conscious teenager and being this was the first time this had happened, I took a pin and popped it and a clear liquid came out but that just irritated it and it got bigger. The itching continued and got worse...next day or two the area deflated and a huge light colored pigmentation was left there. I thought eventually it would disappear but 16 years later and its still here. I have to wear lip pencil in black to cover the light pigment and im tired. I want to know if any peels can help diminish/minimize/eliminate this hyperpigmentation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.