Skin Care Talk banner

Rose Hip Oil INSTEAD OF Retin A!!

51K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Fortunecookie 
#1 ·
Found an interesting post on a website, want to get your individual opinions:

Rosehip seed oil is high in essential unsaturated fatty acids, namely oleic, linoleic, and linolenic. They are called "essential" because our body is not able to reproduce them. Rosehip seed oil is also high in vitamin A and retinoic acid, a natural constituent similar to Retin-A, but without the negative side effects (see note below). Retinoic acid was initially introduced for the treatment of acne, however, it is now used widely for sundamage. Retinoic acid markedly improves the complexion by reducing fine wrinkles and improving pigmentation and fine texture of the skin. Lightly massaged into the skin, this oil acts on the cell membranes, supports their immune reaction, and initiates their regeneration. Rosehip seed oil penetrates the skins upper layers very quickly making it a superb moisturizer. It supports the keratin migration cycle that is responsible for the natural regeneration of skin cells. After using Rosehip oil there is an increase of renewed cells in the epidermis. The cells also produce more collagen & elastin, which make the skin look smoother, firmer and suppler. The natural process of removing old skin and cleaning hair follicles is enhanced giving a cleaner youthful appearance.

Extensive studies have shown Rosehip seed oil to have a positive effect on scars and stretch marks. Scars caused by injury or surgery are effectively treated to reduce the red coloration and the appearance of lumps that often occur. Rosehip seed oil can be applied as soon as the initial healing has taken place. Excellent results have been obtained through its anti-inflammatory properties in improving burning skin and dermatitis caused by radiotherapy. Rosehip seed oil has been known to aid in the regeneration of scar tissue. Stretch marks can be effectively faded/prevented with regular use due to the improved elasticity of the skin and the skin softening and moisturizing properties of Rosehip seed oil.Rosehip seed oil has remarkable skin rejuvenating properties. It is extremely effective against irregular skin pigmentation, burns, and early aging wrinkles. In fact, Rosehip seed oil is recommended for people who spend much of their time in the sun as it reduces the appearance of wrinkles and premature aging often associated with exposure to the sun.

Scientific research has shown that the oil contains substances that retard the aging process of the skin. A four month study (see below) of women living in sunny climates who showed symptoms of photoaging, or surface wrinkles, brown spots, etc., revealed that applying Rosehip seed oil everyday actually worked in causing surface wrinkles to disappear, spots to fade until, at the end of the fourth month, the disappearance became almost complete. Skin presented a smooth and fresh aspect and the spots had almost disappeared. Scars become softer and less prominent with continued daily use; scars, pits and blemishes (even such acne scars). The area of scar treatment is one where Rose Hip Oil has had immense success.

Source of topical trans-retinoic acid (vitamin A) in a natural bio-available form. Regenerates damaged skin: improves blood irrigation. Increases the epidermis regeneration and the capacity to produce new tissue as a consequence of an acceleration of the differentiation of the keratin. osehip seed oil is an excellent source of topical trans-retinoic acid (vitamin A) in a natural form. Retinoic acid, found in Tretinoin, also called Retinol (Vitamin A), is a topical application for treating a variety of skin disorders which has been well researched and recognized for almost 30 years. Synthetic Tretinoin is a very strong substance and must be applied under medical supervision with possible undesirable side effects. Rosehip Seed Oil, however, produces all the benefits of Tretinoin, but without the undesirable effects since it is in a natural state as part of a complex system of unsaturated fatty acids. Therefore, its action is controlled and slowly released by nature, eliminating the rash of overdoses.

Rose hips were brought to the New World by Spanish invaders where they took root and thrived. Rose hip oil (also known as rosa mosqueta) is a wine colored oil from the ripened fruit and seeds of the Rose Hip. It is extremely high in essential fatty acids and now has much respect among professional skin care journals and organizations. It is a natural source of Tretinoin the active ingredient in Retinol, Retin-A, Renova etc, and a very good source of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) the water soluble version of the active ingredient in Dr Perricones wrinkle treatment system.

Rosehips are so high in vitamin C content that during WWII the UK government encourage the population to grow rosehips and eat them to prevent vitamin C deficiencies while oranges could not be imported.Rosehip oil is an effective treatment for dry, weathered or dehydrated skin. It softens and minimizes scars and is the predominant natural oil used for treating wrinkles and aging. It can be used in all fine skin care recipes, or applied directly to the skin on its own.

An interesting effect I noticed with rosehip seed oil was its ability to shrink pores. Here is the scientific extract I mentioned about rose hips in skin care. It was published in 1988."Contributions to Identification and Application of Active Components Contained in Rosa Aff. Rubiginosa." by Dr B Pareja, and Dr Horst Kehl."Aged Skin (Photo-ageing) Changes produced on skin by the action of the sun, i.e. photoageing, are very common in all countries of warm climate. For this study, 20 women with surface wrinkles, brown spots on the eyelids and intensely tanned skin, aged between 25 and 35, who usually spend 3 months of summer in resorts by the beach, were assessed. All applied rose hip oil on the face for four months. Significant changes were noted, starting during the third week. Firstly, surface wrinkles started to disappear, spots started to fade until, by the end of the last month, the disappearance was almost complete."

You would think, seeing as the wrinkles and age spots almost completely disappeared, we would be hearing about this miraculous substance all the time, wouldn't you?! Well, maybe not - not when you can sell Tretinoin for twenty times the price.

See less See more
#5 ·
I love rosehip seed oil - but I just don't think it comes close to RA. I apply it to my neck area each night - I apply RA to my face. If my skin is feeling particularly dry, I use it as a serum. I don't see why you can't use both - rosehip seed oil is a great product to have on hand but I won't be giving up my RA for it.

#10 ·
I love rosehip seed oil - but I just don't think it comes close to RA. I apply it to my neck area each night - I apply RA to my face. If my skin is feeling particularly dry, I use it as a serum. I don't see why you can't use both - rosehip seed oil is a great product to have on hand but I won't be giving up my RA for it.
i agree with SkiQueen..
i am applying it over my retin a,either on face or body...

also there are many recipes available on youtube..
How to Make Rose Hip Oil | eHow.com

#16 ·
I just watched that ehow video that explained how to make rose hip oil. And now I'm confused!!
The video has this woman packing rose hips into a bottle and filling the bottle with "any kind" of oil...looks like she used Wesson oil. If that's really how Rose Hip oil is made, I'm gonna pass...I dont think putting canola oil on my face will do it any good.
How in the world is that real rose hip oil? Should it just be called Rose-Scented Wesson?

#19 ·
I just watched the video too. It is only " Rose-Scented Wesson".

Rose hip seed oil is the oil extracted from the seeds of a rose bush that grows wild in the Andes. You cannot make it by packing rose hips in a bottle of canola.

I have been using rose hips seed oil for over eight years now. I love how it feels on my skin however I don't think it could ever replace RA. If it was really that good, then why am I now reaching for that RA tube. I wish I had been using RA for all that time instead.

#17 ·
Retin-A will increase collagen synthesis and prevent skin aging by inhibiting MMPs like collagenase and elastase, enzymes that degrade support proteins in your skin. It will also brighten skin tone, clean out pores, prevent and treat acne and enhance hyaluronic acid synthesis that adds volume and hydration to firm skin. If that is not the description of a miracle cream then what is?

#21 ·
Sorry, not had time to read all posts, but it's my understanding that rosehip oil contains between approximately 0.00001% and 0.0001% retinoic acid...

not to say that the combination of this + other constituents such as vit e,c and the other good oily components won't make a big different in some skins if they aren't already receiving these elements from other sources in- or externally (which i am, probably why i don't really rate it v price tbh).

BUT, i like my retinoic acid in MUCH higher conentrations than that found in rosehip oil. How much higher? about 500-5000 times higher for daily application (= 0.05% RA) and whole load more for a retinoic peel.

That's why I would never replace my RA with rosehip oil.

#22 ·
Like Tova RHO was the 1st oil I used on my face, have been trying other oils, but I think rho is still my fave. Seems to sink in and not greasy, I mix it in my palm with abit of SKB sometimes. I like it a lot but its an oil , can't imagine it could be comparable to Retin A.

#31 ·
I always liked rosehip oil LightenNLift, it is one of the oils that doesn't make my skin act up. The only downside is the orangey color, it is a bit messy and I have to find ways around it. I swear by apricot kernel oil for easy use and with a bit of helichrysum it can do a lot for the skin. I can't use all types of oils, even some of the lighter ones can make my skin act up, the ideal is when they help keeping poors clear and "breething". I don't log in here much anymore I just keep a simple easy routine with out experimenting much.

#32 ·
I've read tretinoin is dangerous for those trying to conceive so I've been using Rose hip oil but I wonder whether to give it to my husband. His skin is very fair and thin. He burn easily and can't tan. He's a lovely, kind ginger :love: At 55 and only starting to use moisturiser his skin is not in top shape but is getting better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.