Skin Care Talk banner

Red bumps in and around armpits, have pics to show

498K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  Mecheeka 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. For around 6 months or so, I have been getting red bumps around my armpit and under arms. They kind of look like pimples, but rarely have a head to them and don't pop. They itch occasionally, and haven't really reacted to anything I have tried. I have been using the same deodorant for at least 10 years, have tried not wearing deodorant, tried cleaning the area with cetaphil skin cleanser, have tried steroid cream, acne cream, and just left them alone to see if that would help.

The problem is, is that they linger for awhile, and will eventually go away, but new bumps will pop up in the same areas. I'm not sure what exactly the cause is, but I'm scheduling an appointment to see a dermatologist. In the mean time, I was hoping someone might have some insight on what this is or how to get rid of it!

I found a disease called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa" where the symptoms seem to be similar, but my case doesn't appear to be nearly as drastic as most cases I have seen of this. I'm showing a couple pics of the areas, right around my arm pits on both arms.

Thank you for any help you can give!

See less See more
#2 ·
it might be a rash called prickly heat. it comes from getting overheated. i don't think it is an allergic reaction to your deodorant. after you apply your deodorant try a powder like zeasorb or zeasorb af. these are extra absorbing powders that help keep the area dry. the af has miconazole in it so it is also an anti-fungal. hope i helped

#3 ·
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely give that a shot. Some of these bumps will last for weeks, sometimes getting more irritated or finally settling down. Would that be normal length for a rash? Also I have tried going without deodorant to see if it helps clear up faster but with no such luck.

#5 ·
is this the only place you have seen this? looks like it could be spider bites or chiggers - i would still go see a dermatologist but it really doesn't look like an allergic reaction -

btw - nice pit pix

#6 ·
apologies for the armpit pics lol, but I wanted to include so that they could be used as reference to where the bumps actually were on my body. I would say bug bites as well, except this is the only area I get them, right around my armpit, and no where else on me. That and I have tried changing sheets, wearing clothes to bed, with no luck so I'm pretty convinced it's something else.

#8 ·
Doesn't look like classic hidradenitis but could be a mild occlusion folliculitis. Do you get any problem in the groin area? Are you using a deodorant that you could be allergic to?

#9 ·
So an update:

I went to see a dermatologist, and go figure, the area was completely clear of any bumps when I had my appointment. I explained that problem, and they said it was most likely a allergic reaction to the deodorant I use. I explained I've been using the same deodorant for at least 10 years, but I guess I can develop a reaction to it at anytime. Especially because it's the blue colored gel deodorant, I guess it is more common to have a reaction to the blue dye. So as of now I have switched to a clear deodorant and waiting to see if it clears up. I have my next dermatologist appointment in a month to check up and see how it's going. It sucks right now, because both my underarms are irritated right now, not sure if it's because of switching deodorant or not.

side note: this problem seems to be related to my sides and underarms. I don't get these types of bumps in my groin area or anywhere else.

#10 ·
Oh please update after your second appointment, I've been experiencing the same thing for the past four months and I'd love to know what it is. I used scabies cream on both under arms, washed and rewashed bed clothes and still nothing. So I'm definitely looking forward to that update!!

#11 ·
yes, i've been having the same problem too. i went to the doctor two different times, and they gave me an anti-biotic and did not really seem like they knew. it's not my deodorant because i even tried spray deodorant for a while. i get them around my underarms and around my breasts, i also noticed a cluster on my leg for the first time. please let us know what you find out.

#12 ·
Dude, you explained my symptoms EXACTLY. Seriously it was scary how accurate your symptoms are to mine. Let me know if there have been any updates. Mine is getting quite worse, worse its ever been. It usually was only a couple of bumps, not it's all over my arm pit. I guess I am making it seem more serious than it might be, but its more than just the two or three bumps I am used to.

#13 ·
So an update:

After changing deodorants, I didn't see any immediate change. Over a little time, The bumps seemed to go away, however, they have recently returned. They seem to have returned right after going on a jog. I cam home, and didn't shower immediately like I normally do, since my underarms seem to be so sensitive. The next day, I had 3 bumps under my left armpit. What bothers me, is that there is no outbreak in my actual armpit, but underneath where the hair is, along the top of my ribs.

So maybe the blue dye in the deodorant was causing problems, but apparently is the not the root of the problem. I plan on scheduling another dermatologist visit, with a new one this time, and hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

#14 ·
I to have red bumps under my armpit but only on my right side. I have always used the clear gel deorderant. I to was told it's because of that but after not using Deorderant for prolly a month now nothing has got better or worse.. Itchy here and there but not often. Thxs for posting and would gladly appreciate your response after your next visit...

#16 ·
Hi,
is there any update?

Ive been suffering from this since march 2011 and ive been to doctor 4 times and each time they have given me a different cream. we believe its not to do with deodrant and being hot as the rash disappeared when i went on holiday and when i stopped the deodrant, changed it and then went back to the one i always used and there was no change. I have now know idea what it is, and reluctant to go back to the doctor as they keep fobbing me off with creams that make no difference and the last one actually aggrivated it and made it worse.

anyone got any ideas, or solutions to get rid of the irritating rash?

#19 ·
I've got the same bumps under my left armpit (well, right below it) I'm pretty sure it's because I switched from Sauve basic, powder, deodorant to Dove ultimate go fresh plum & sakura blossom scent. I've never used it before and have never had these bumps that look like little red zits before. Sometimes they're itchy, sometimes they're sore to the touch. Glad this forum is here and really glad I just insurance for myself! Thanks for all the advice.

#20 ·
So a final update. I visited another dermatologist, originally they prescribed a mild steroid topical. Shortly after my visit they phoned me back after they received my test back, and said it was staph infection. They prescribed me cephalexin to take 4 times a day for a week and a half.

After taking it, the bumps did go away, but a month later a couple showed up again. Not nearly as drastic as before or as large, and when I visited the doctor about those, they said not to worry as they are most likely irritated folicles but to keep an eye on them.

So in the end, I changed to deodorants, used a mild steroid topical cream, and was put on antibiotics. I'm not sure if it really was staph, because a skin swab will generally turn up with a staph result, as staph is everywhere. I still get a couple bumps every now and then, but they rarely grow, or get irritated, and disappear shortly. Hope this has helped some of you and good luck with this pesky problem!

#21 ·
Aleo, I have had the exact same thing for a little over a year! For me it started with a tiny little red dot that looked like a pimple. I stupidly tried to pop it and it got super infected and huge and i went on antibiotics and it drained. After that I didn't have anything til the next summer and then when it got hot the little red bumps came back. A couple of them got infected and I went on two rounds of antibiotics and got one drained. They tested it and it was staph. While the antibiotics cleared them up, the red dots keep coming back, always in the pits. Sometimes they itch. I've tried many different natural deodorants but they keep coming back. I've been to three different derms. The last one I went to said I was maybe colonized with staph and gave me an antibiotic cream to put in my nose for a week. But I'm still getting them and it's not even hot out, although I still do sweat. It's so frustrating that nothing is working. I have noticed a connection to my diet. If I cut back on sugar, dairy, and refined foods I don't get them as much. I mentioned this to my derm cause I thought it was an allergy maybe and she said that it may be that some foods cause more inflammation in the body. I've read about heat rash and think it could be that. For now I'm trying to just keep the area clean and I put hydrocortisone on if they itch or sometimes aloe. But I'm trying to eat less inflammatory foods. You might want to try that. But keep me posted if you find out anything else, cause whatever this condition is, it sucks!

#22 ·
hi there, i found this post because a month ago the exact same thing (visually) started appearing on my skin, on the same areas. i killed it by putting pure tea tree (melaleuca) oil on the bumps, just a tiny quantity on each one of them; it's a great antiseptic and it can be used undiluted and directly on the skin (as opposed to other essential oils). it does dry the skin a little bit, but if you only dab each bump separately you shouldn't have any problems (just do not apply over a larger area of the skin). do try if you're allergic first.
it might not work in every case but it's such a cheap and uncomplicated intervention - try it before you rush to the dermatologist!

#23 ·
Hi,

I realize I am a little late to the discussion but here is some information I received that may be helpful.

To give you a little background I started having bumps (exactly like those in the picture) under my arm on one side of my body two summers ago. They would clear up within a few weeks and come back every few months.

I went to the dermatologist today and he said it was folliculitis. It can be brought on by bacteria and/or yeast. He prescribed Nizoral cream and recommended using Dove soap for Sensitive Skin and CerVe Mouisturizing Lotion. Also he recommended using dye/perfume free detergent and not using any kind of fabric softener or dryer sheets.

I'm sure you can read more about folliculitis on the Internet.

Hope this helps!

#24 ·
So I am late to the discussion but I have the same problem and it looks exactly like your picture, the only thing that I have tried so far is using deodorants that are aluminum free (recommended by a pharmacist), and they seem to work. I used the same deodorant and antiperspirant for years and all the sudden one day I noticed them. after switching to aluminum free deodorant I have not noticed them for over a month now. I tested this by using the old deodorant and the new one, after using my old one I got them within a day, I stopped and used the new one and it worked for like 2 months. still not convinced i used my old one again and sure enough they came back within a day. I have been using the anti-aluminum deodorant now for a little over a month and nothing yet. Hope this helps, I know these things are embarrassing and sometimes they hurt to the touch.

#25 ·
Has anyone been told that their red bumps are related to exercise? I apologize, I have not read EVERY post, and perhaps someone already brought it up, but I actually appreciate the pit shot, as my red bumps look the same. Some get really red and irritated -but never form a head, but I still try and squeeze them every once in a while when the bump hurts (squeezing is not recommended). Mine are definitely related to working out. Although my sports bra and tank top do not, or rarely, tough the areas were the bumps arise, the friction of moving my arms and my clothes are what does it. The area gets rubbed, by my sweaty skin and the tank top. I come home from working out, my pits look bad for days. The best things, I have found, are a shower ASAP, followed by 'cool'setting on hair dryer over irritated area, then Neosporin overnight. After the shower in the morning, apply a little baby or Good Bond powder to keep the area dry. Leave the bumps alone, but they will come back. I do not like them, they are embarrassing, but I am glad to reap the positive effects from regular exercise. A small price to pay.

#27 ·
I've been active all my life, and have never had this problem on any part of my body but my armpits. If chaffing is what it is then I'll give Bodyglide a try! I will let you know if it helps my problem. It sure would have saved me from much irritation and embarrassment over years of performances, etc., but at this point, I just want something that works. I'm in an endless state of healing/new bumps forming. It sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.