Red bumps in and around armpits, have pics to show
Page 1 of 4 1 2 Last

Thread: Red bumps in and around armpits, have pics to show

Red bumps in and around armpits, have pics to show

Hello everyone. For around 6 months or so, I have been getting red bumps around my armpit and under arms. They kind of look like pimples, but rarely have a head to them and don't pop. They itch occasionally, and haven't really reacted to anything I have tried. I have been using the same deodorant for at least 10 years, have tried not wearing deodorant, tried cleaning the area with cetaphil skin cleanser, have tried steroid cream, acne cream, and just left them alone to see if that would help.

The problem is, is that they linger for awhile, and will eventually go away, but new bumps will pop up in the same areas. I'm not sure what exactly the cause is, but I'm scheduling an appointment to see a dermatologist. In the mean time, I was hoping someone might have some insight on what this is or how to get rid of it!

I found a disease called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa" where the symptoms seem to be similar, but my case doesn't appear to be nearly as drastic as most cases I have seen of this. I'm showing a couple pics of the areas, right around my arm pits on both arms.

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

it might be a rash called prickly heat. it comes from getting overheated. i don't think it is an allergic reaction to your deodorant. after you apply your deodorant try a powder like zeasorb or zeasorb af. these are extra absorbing powders that help keep the area dry. the af has miconazole in it so it is also an anti-fungal. hope i helped

Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely give that a shot. Some of these bumps will last for weeks, sometimes getting more irritated or finally settling down. Would that be normal length for a rash? Also I have tried going without deodorant to see if it helps clear up faster but with no such luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

Nice pit shots! It's a good idea to go to your derm for a definite diagnosis, because all we can do is guess. But once you find out, please come back and post again, so we can learn. Thanks and good luck!

is this the only place you have seen this? looks like it could be spider bites or chiggers - i would still go see a dermatologist but it really doesn't look like an allergic reaction -

btw - nice pit pix
    from the innocent comment of a child comes the truth of observation - Hidden Content

apologies for the armpit pics lol, but I wanted to include so that they could be used as reference to where the bumps actually were on my body. I would say bug bites as well, except this is the only area I get them, right around my armpit, and no where else on me. That and I have tried changing sheets, wearing clothes to bed, with no luck so I'm pretty convinced it's something else.

Did you find out what these bumps are

Doesn't look like classic hidradenitis but could be a mild occlusion folliculitis. Do you get any problem in the groin area? Are you using a deodorant that you could be allergic to?
    Dedicated to Dermatology! Hidden Content Love to help with all types of skin problem. Also help out at http://www.dermplan.com/forum

So an update:

I went to see a dermatologist, and go figure, the area was completely clear of any bumps when I had my appointment. I explained that problem, and they said it was most likely a allergic reaction to the deodorant I use. I explained I've been using the same deodorant for at least 10 years, but I guess I can develop a reaction to it at anytime. Especially because it's the blue colored gel deodorant, I guess it is more common to have a reaction to the blue dye. So as of now I have switched to a clear deodorant and waiting to see if it clears up. I have my next dermatologist appointment in a month to check up and see how it's going. It sucks right now, because both my underarms are irritated right now, not sure if it's because of switching deodorant or not.

side note: this problem seems to be related to my sides and underarms. I don't get these types of bumps in my groin area or anywhere else.

Oh please update after your second appointment, I've been experiencing the same thing for the past four months and I'd love to know what it is. I used scabies cream on both under arms, washed and rewashed bed clothes and still nothing. So I'm definitely looking forward to that update!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements