Skin Care Talk banner

Red bumps in and around armpits, have pics to show

498K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  Mecheeka 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. For around 6 months or so, I have been getting red bumps around my armpit and under arms. They kind of look like pimples, but rarely have a head to them and don't pop. They itch occasionally, and haven't really reacted to anything I have tried. I have been using the same deodorant for at least 10 years, have tried not wearing deodorant, tried cleaning the area with cetaphil skin cleanser, have tried steroid cream, acne cream, and just left them alone to see if that would help.

The problem is, is that they linger for awhile, and will eventually go away, but new bumps will pop up in the same areas. I'm not sure what exactly the cause is, but I'm scheduling an appointment to see a dermatologist. In the mean time, I was hoping someone might have some insight on what this is or how to get rid of it!

I found a disease called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa" where the symptoms seem to be similar, but my case doesn't appear to be nearly as drastic as most cases I have seen of this. I'm showing a couple pics of the areas, right around my arm pits on both arms.

Thank you for any help you can give!

See less See more
#28 ·
I have the very same symptoms mine underarms , neck, groin and sometimes pops out other places and under breast. Dr's also treated me with severals rounds of cream and a pill through mouth that would kill anything they said but it is still here been for a year. I was reading up on scabies they can almost sometimes and certain people stay for life. I at one time contacted them from a client I work in homes.I also have a appointment with a Derm so tired of it. Comes and goes with new bumps. Appointment june 6, 2013. Maybe I will get answers.

#29 ·
I need help figuring out what this is. It's very itchy and it hurts. I noticed it last Saturday and is been awful to deal with its spread down my arm some but that looks more rashy not really any bumps. It's not under my armpit it by my right breast close to my armpit. My kids sleep with me and they have no problems. I've checked for bed bugs and i don't see anything at all. Spider bites are usually pussy and thats not the case either. Im going to see a dermatologist but its hard finding one that accept my insurance...help your answers are appreciated...

#31 ·
I'm with Aleo, everything he says is on par with my issue. I did not mention before that i am female; I've been to the dermatologist after trying the 'glide' for chaffing -see my above post and then response from "moderator" (which made my problem worse, as my skin could not breathe). I shave my armpits and have used t he same deodorant for years (as my pits would react to anything that wasn't just the original white stick deodorant. I cannot use "clear drying", spray or gel-based deodorant; so we know i DO have sensitive skin). The red bumps do not appear where I apply deodorant or where I shave. My latest dermatologist appt yielded that I have a sort of heat rash - it is getting hot and i know it is not my products or the way I shave (been constants for years). These bumps, for me, always appear after a workout or performance, they are always apprearing around my armpit (not IN my pit) -just like many have also stated. If I skip a week of physical activity, The bumps get better and no new ones develop (they heal and go away, as long as I do NOT pick at them). When I do an intense workout, they come right back. The only things that have changed recently are the intensity of my workouts and the weather -'tis hot! So, my doc said that the best way to 'manage' them is to shower ASAP after physical activity, keep the area dry (cool setting on hair dryer), use powder to help keep area dry and allow oxygen to get of the area with no clothes irritating the area when I sleep. I will not give up working out, but I am happy to go thru a mini routine to keep the bumps at bay. Sometimes after I shower I will put a CLEAN ice pack on the irritated area, this helps them shrink down before bed. I hope everyone else finds answers to their pit-probs. posting here has helped me a lot! Thanks!

#32 ·
I'm with Aleo, everything he says is on par with my issue. I did not mention before that i am female; I've been to the dermatologist after trying the 'glide' for chaffin!
Not many boys where sports bras Zep ;-) My boyfriend and I are both suffering from the exact same thing. We work out a nd shower regularly and especially as soon as we get home from the gym, which takes like 5 minutes. We have both always been fit and active and started suffering from this almost a month ago. I have had folliclitis before from a hot tub, and it is not the same. All the symptoms are exactly the same as quoted here though. We only get them in our armpits and just below our armpits. I thoughtbit was bites, but they are no where else. As for diet, we have fruit for breakfast, veggies with meat for lunch and dinner, always different, as in a curry, stir fry, steamed veg and meat and so on. The only unhealthy thing in our household are the icypoles in the freezer and the occasional beer or vodka drink.

#35 ·
I have those exact pimple like bumps around armpit area, stopped using deodorant but still consists. It's not even warm so can't be heat rash. But in armpit I did have a rash that is mildly irritating when I use deodorant. It seems only when I use deodorant it bothers me a little. Any new updates will be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.