Any MEN with melasma? - Page 3

Thread: Any MEN with melasma?

I am a Caucasian male and I have melasma as well. I have tried the 4% hydroquinone, but it doesn't do a great job at making my face look better. It will turn the hyperpigmentation into hypopigmentation and just make things look possibly worse. I have also tried azelaic acid which they say does not have the rebound hyperpigmentation that hydroquinone does, but that was not true for me. What has helped for me somewhat is Vit C, MSM and zinc. I take them orally daily and have seen some fading. The main reason for my post is the Elta MD 41 spf has been the best thing for me while I wait for a better treatment. It is a tinted sunscreen with zinc and titanium (physical blocker) that has helped prevent the melasma from getting worse. Since it is tinted it hides the melasma somewhat without looking like make up. The only side effect is that it can dry out your face a little bit. I use cetaphil soap and lotion (inexpensive) to clean and moisturize my face. They are both fragrance free, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

I just want to add that I have basically stopped using Cetaphil soap and lotion. I use Albolene moisturizing cleanser instead. It has been great. My skin is never dry now and my melasma has not progressed. I still use the Elta MD SPF 41 tinted sunblock and it works great for me.

hey whats goin on?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements

I am a male suffering from Melasma as well, has anyone had any luck clearing it ??

Hi, I'm also a sufferer of melasma which has ruined my life to some extent. I have dark lines above my eyebrows, redness in right cheek bone area and a brown patch just under my left side of lip. I'm white british and 38 years old and have had it for about 3-4 years but at first some parts went on their own but then came back more stubborn. I saw a dermatologist again yesterday who told me that it will never go away completely so i asked him if it were anything to do with alcohol but he said no which was good news as needed a drink after that. He prescribed me Adapalene cream which i'm to put on in the evening before sleep. I've already tried hydroquinone 1% and skinoren with no luck. i have had some improvement with a complete different cleaning regime. I don't shop at commercial high street shops no more as i only buy from my local health store which is organic face cleaners and such. I wash in the morning with a quality face cleaner then i put some face serum on and then a day cream and then a good sun cream 50spf, the night time i wash, night cream, then serum. But another helpful tip is to not wash face at all for a few days to re balance the normal skin function but i know it's not practical in summer months so when winter arrives make sure to give your face a break from anything. Will look a bit rough at first but you will notice that some redness will fade on their own. Sunscreen is a must for summer and even i was told to wear it all year round which i don't think is sensible at all. I also suffer from a vitamin D deficiency which i take meds for. Just bought a quality bee venom face scrub and hoping it will help a bit too. I've also heard but not tried yet is a face mask with seaweed in it which if you leave it on the actual patches overnight and wash off in the morning is supposed to help bring the marks out.

Thanks for listening and lets hope we will be saved one day. Would love to hear of anyone else's treatment options preventative strategies etc.

Now, I'm able to say that we can cure the melasma.

I'm a male and I get the melasma too early. Certain treatments have given some improvement but after a couple of month, the melasma came back. I most existing treatments. Medical treatments was the worst. It's only last year that I fixed it for ever.
    HQ, azelaîc acid, peeling, modern treatments generally give a short time improvement.

I would love to know what you guys have been using to clear your melasma.

Quote Originally Posted by Titi View Post
    Now, I'm able to say that we can cure the melasma.

I'm a male and I get the melasma too early. Certain treatments have given some improvement but after a couple of month, the melasma came back. I most existing treatments. Medical treatments was the worst. It's only last year that I fixed it for ever.
    HQ, azelaîc acid, peeling, modern treatments generally give a short time improvement.
    what did u use to clear it for ever ?

Hey guys I've had some moderate success with my melasma, it's at least faded to a point where I don't really notice it anymore. I don't know if it's because of my routine or something else but I thought I'd share in case it helps.

I first use a basic gentle face wash in the shower (I use CeraVe from walmart). Next, which I think is the main thing that's helped overall is using sunscreen every day. I use the EltaMD UV Clear and I've found I like it because I have sensitive skin. It has some niacinamide in it which is supposed to help with redness/pigmentation. I also got this powder sunscreen that comes in like a brush tube thing. It might sound kinda lame but I've found it's really easy to apply for extra protection/if you want to reapply in the middle of the day. I also incorporated two things at night from a brand called Ordinary (it's real cheap). I used the Alpha Arbutin (supposed to help fade melasma & Pigmentation) and the Azelaic Acid which also helps melasma and rosacea which I have as well. And then use a moisturizer n the morning and night. (I used cerave moisturizing it comes in a huge tub and lasts forever)

So basically:
    AM - Wash, moisturize, Sunscreen
    PM - Wash , Alpha Arbutin, Azelaic Acid, Moisturize

I'm not a doctor or anything but just wanted to share what I've found has seemed to help me in case it can help you guys too. Good luck and remember youre not alone

Quote Originally Posted by erebos View Post
    Hey guys I've had some moderate success with my melasma, it's at least faded to a point where I don't really notice it anymore. I don't know if it's because of my routine or something else but I thought I'd share in case it helps.

I first use a basic gentle face wash in the shower (I use CeraVe from walmart). Next, which I think is the main thing that's helped overall is using sunscreen every day. I use the EltaMD UV Clear and I've found I like it because I have sensitive skin. It has some niacinamide in it which is supposed to help with redness/pigmentation. I also got this powder sunscreen that comes in like a brush tube thing. It might sound kinda lame but I've found it's really easy to apply for extra protection/if you want to reapply in the middle of the day. I also incorporated two things at night from a brand called Ordinary (it's real cheap). I used the Alpha Arbutin (supposed to help fade melasma & Pigmentation) and the Azelaic Acid which also helps melasma and rosacea which I have as well. And then use a moisturizer n the morning and night. (I used cerave moisturizing it comes in a huge tub and lasts forever)

So basically:
    AM - Wash, moisturize, Sunscreen
    PM - Wash , Alpha Arbutin, Azelaic Acid, Moisturize

I'm not a doctor or anything but just wanted to share what I've found has seemed to help me in case it can help you guys too. Good luck and remember youre not alone
    Which powder SS are you using? I love Colorescience Sunforgettable, same thing as you describe, in a tube, super convenient to carry/apply throughout the day. I've tried Peter Thomas Roth in a powder as well, still like Colorescience if I had to choose. They also have one called Supergoop Invincible, haven't tried their powder version but have tried their cream version.

As for your routine, Azelaic Acid is a keeper for sure glad you've found something that is helping. Without a doubt when you struggle with Melasma sunscreen is something you must be faithful too, its just getting those to believe and actually apply it
    -Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us-

13. Remove Advertisements
    SkinCareTalk.com
    Advertisements