Skin Care Talk banner

Lactic Acid Peel Instructions HERE!!

112K views 201 replies 52 participants last post by  gymrat 
#1 ·
Recently I've gotten quite a few messages about how to apply lactic acid peels. I just thought I would post the instructions from makeupartistschoice dot com. This is where I originally got my LA peels from and the instructions were excellent. I added in a couple of extra notes.

Also, BEFORE YOU APPLY ANY PEEL, please perform a patch test to make sure you are note allergic. Apply peel to inside of wrist or side of chin and wait for 24 hours to see if you have any reaction.

Here we go...

How to use:

Prep your skin with our pH prep solution (included). - you can also use a baking soda mixture.
Allow it to dry completely.
Apply Lactic Acid serum to skin for 3-7 minutes. Newbies should start with 1-2 mins tops!
Rinse off with soap and water.
Rebalance with pH prep solution.
Dry skin completely.
Some pinkness of the skin may be noticeable post-peel or a warm feeling to the skin. This is normal.
Use sunscreen or a makeup with SPF factor post-peel.
Recommended usage: once or twice a week.

See less See more
#130 ·
Thank you cwrn51 for your help! I started with a 40% for 3 mins. I didn't burn that muc but I took it off anyway. I moisturized with avocado oil and the next morning I had these fine bumps on most of my face like a rash. They have mostly gone away and I have some dry patches on my cheeks. I will dilute it even more next time and see what happens!

#132 ·
buying lactic acid peel

i have purchased a 90% food grade lactic acid and i was wondering if can use this an an acid peel. i purchased this off amazon. if i cant use this can anyone recommend an online shop like lotioncrafters in the uk with affordable shipping(their shipping prices to the uk is extortionate).
i will like a quick reply pls as i used this 90% without diluting on my leg just to test it and i felt nothing and this is my first ever peel ever!!!!
thanks

amateur peel

#136 ·
I finally bit the bullet and decided to do a lactic acid peel. I use 12% strength LA lotion on and off again with RA and vitamin C. Knowing I was doing a peel I stopped for about a week prior. To wash my face I used a mild neutrogena soap. Being that I was going to put this on my face I decided to be a little more cautious. Thank you gurus for providing so much helpful information on how to do this for us beginners. I use a 3:1 formula distilled water to LA to dilute the 88 % strength LA from Lotion crafters. I had everything ready thanks to the gurus ;) Upon application I noticed a tingling sensation and was pretty surprised because I thought it would be too weak, and left it on for only 1 to 2 minutes. I rinsed, neutralized with the baking soda. It was somewhat red after the peel which is expected so I moisturized with Vitamin E. I noticed that my skin looked a little darker after application. I also put Aloe vera gel to help soothe the skin. So far I feel okay and I would definitely do it again since it wasn't a bad experience. I'll just wait and see what happens over the course of the week. Am I allowed to wear makeup and sunblock though?

#137 ·
I finally bit the bullet and decided to do a lactic acid peel. I use 12% strength LA lotion on and off again with RA and vitamin C. Knowing I was doing a peel I stopped for about a week prior. To wash my face I used a mild neutrogena soap. Being that I was going to put this on my face I decided to be a little more cautious. Thank you gurus for providing so much helpful information on how to do this for us beginners. I use a 3:1 formula distilled water to LA to dilute the 88 % strength LA from Lotion crafters. I had everything ready thanks to the gurus ;) Upon application I noticed a tingling sensation and was pretty surprised because I thought it would be too weak, and left it on for only 1 to 2 minutes. I rinsed, neutralized with the baking soda. It was somewhat red after the peel which is expected so I moisturized with Vitamin E. I noticed that my skin looked a little darker after application. I also put Aloe vera gel to help soothe the skin. So far I feel okay and I would definitely do it again since it wasn't a bad experience. I'll just wait and see what happens over the course of the week. Am I allowed to wear makeup and sunblock though?
HOORAY!!! Welcome to the peel club :icon_cheers: :D YES YES YES you want to wear SS especially if going outside. Makeup, I tend to go without during my peel process. Wearing it won't cause any harm though. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Be sure to keep us posted on the how it all turns out!!

#141 ·
Quick question I did my second peel tonight using the same formula but left it on for longer and I did a second layer on the lighter areas on my face i.e. cheeks. In addition I did my feet as well with 2 to 3 layers. I definitely heard my face sizzle when I neutralized this time. During the healing process do people use lightners i.e. La lotion? I thought we had to wait to use anything that's acidic like the peel.

#142 ·
Quick question I did my second peel tonight using the same formula but left it on for longer and I did a second layer on the lighter areas on my face i.e. cheeks. In addition I did my feet as well with 2 to 3 layers. I definitely heard my face sizzle when I neutralized this time. During the healing process do people use lightners i.e. La lotion? I thought we had to wait to use anything that's acidic like the peel. 
No, no and no. Don't use anything containing acids until your skin heals and is back to normal. Then you can go back to using LA lotion etc.

#145 ·
Yeah this my second peel so far so good. I don't see any flaking or anything like that. I did the same thing as before. I just left it longer and did layers. I'm trying to build up a resistance. I used Vitamin E and aloe gel to moisturize and soothe the skin. I think around April 10th I will do another peel but will use the 2:1 water to la. How do I calculate the strength of the formula? After that peel I will heal and start lightening and wont do another peel for atleast a month. I feel like I'm not doing enough when it comes to the lightening part.

#146 ·
I'm really loving these peels minus the tingling/itching. Today I use a 2:1 formula on my face and feet. I don't feel anything on my feet at all really but I do on my face. Around the 3 min mark my face was itching I was like whoa. I left it on for 8 minutes , neutralized, rinse, and moisturized. I took it off my feet even though I didn't feel anything but I did notice the hissing when I neutralized. I don't notice any extreme lightening but my face is so smoother and even in tone for the most part. I do double layers on my t zone like cheeks or middle of face because I want that to look lightest. My face is naturally lighter in the middle compared to the sides and forehead. I do know something is going on because I have dark purple lips and they have lightened a lot. I want my top lip to have a darker tone than my bottom so the first time I did the peel I only did my bottom lip so now it's definitely 1-2 shades lighter than the top. I think I'm going to wait 2 to 3 weeks for my next peel because I don't want to overdo it with these peels. Also I want to use my carotein cream and serum. I only use these items for one night but noticed that they made the pores in my face look large. I don't know why that is.

#148 ·
I'm assuming from using a LA peel?? It's common for your skin to turn brown when using peels. Keep neosporin on it and within a few days it should get better. Lower the % used for future use.

#149 ·
Hi guys! Pls Is it normal that my face doesn't feel tight after I rinse off a peel? Did a salicylic acid peel yesterday and my face was normal immediately after I rinsed off the peel. It looks a shade darker today tho that mite be my imagination. But no tightness, dryness, peeling, nothing. 2nd time I've done this. First time, I moisturized with shea butter n it clogged my pores which totally defeated the purpose of the SA peel. Now I use cetaphil lotion. Also, my skin has no reaction whatsoever to retin a. No flaking or dryness either. Started with 0.05 cream, used it for 4 nights straight and I had no reaction. Could it be cos I have oily skin? Or do i really need to see a derm?

#150 ·
Hey guys just an update I finally did a 44% lactic acid peel. I was really scared to do it but made sure that my skin was healed from the previous peel. Interesting enough some things happened during this peel which I was not expecting. Firstly I decided to do multiply areas because I knew I wouldn't do this for atleast another month. I wanted to try this strength since usually people work up to this percentage. The areas I decided to try were my face, feet, armpits and hoohah lol. I have the most pigmentation in these areas but I have tested my face and feet atleast twice. Upon application it did not burn on contact but I did feel a tingle after a second layer on my t-zone. The order in which I applied was face, feet, armpits, and then hoohah. I was super nervous of applying down there because it's a very sensitive area. I know because I get a brazilian wax every so often with the last one being a month ago. My armpits were on fire so I took it off there first and sizzle it did. It sizzles of my feet but I never feel anything there. I wanted to leave the LA for longer than 5 minutes even though it was burning my mustache area. I noticed a few white spots popping up and I thought to myself I better take this off now lol. I remember reading about this white patches becoming bumps. I saw a few white specks on my cheeks and one a speck on my neck. Not sure if they will change overnight. I'm just moisturizing with Vitamin E and Aloe gel for now. In addition to that my bottom lip has peeled. I have deep brown pigmented lips with the top being the deepest. When I applied LA before I did it on the bottom lip so that it would be lighter in color. Before they were a gray undertone now I can see part of the bottom has peeled and there's a pinkish/dark pink color but it is super sensitive. I drink tea at night to help me sleep and I have to be very careful because I can feel everything. I just want to keep it moisturize and let it heal. I was so not expecting to see that. I'm done with the LA peels until next month. After the healing process I will start the carotene routine.

#151 ·
Hey guys just an update I finally did a 44% lactic acid peel. I was really scared to do it but made sure that my skin was healed from the previous peel. Interesting enough some things happened during this peel which I was not expecting. Firstly I decided to do multiply areas because I knew I wouldn't do this for atleast another month. I wanted to try this strength since usually people work up to this percentage. The areas I decided to try were my face, feet, armpits and hoohah lol. I have the most pigmentation in these areas but I have tested my face and feet atleast twice. Upon application it did not burn on contact but I did feel a tingle after a second layer on my t-zone. The order in which I applied was face, feet, armpits, and then hoohah. I was super nervous of applying down there because it's a very sensitive area. I know because I get a brazilian wax every so often with the last one being a month ago. My armpits were on fire so I took it off there first and sizzle it did. It sizzles of my feet but I never feel anything there. I wanted to leave the LA for longer than 5 minutes even though it was burning my mustache area. I noticed a few white spots popping up and I thought to myself I better take this off now lol. I remember reading about this white patches becoming bumps. I saw a few white specks on my cheeks and one a speck on my neck. Not sure if they will change overnight. I'm just moisturizing with Vitamin E and Aloe gel for now. In addition to that my bottom lip has peeled. I  have deep brown pigmented lips with the top being the deepest. When I applied LA before I did it on the bottom lip so that it would be lighter in color. Before they were a gray undertone now I can see part of the bottom has peeled and there's a pinkish/dark pink color but it is super sensitive. I drink tea at night to help me sleep and I have to be very careful because I can feel everything. I just want to keep it moisturize and let it heal. I was so not expecting to see that. I'm done with the LA peels until next month. After the healing process I will start the carotene routine.
Cheeky on the areas that are pink it might be worth keeping neosporin or polysporin on until the pinkness subsides. Don't risk it. Also, I hope hope hope you are staying out of the sun. I can only imagine how your armpits felt. Talk about sensitive, not to mention an area of daily friction......unless you walk around with your arms like this :D

#153 ·
Cheeky thanks for posting those detailed post of your peels. I'm probably goin to wait another week or 2 before I start because Im a newbie and I just figured out how to incorporate my Viatmin C and Amlactin LA lotion into my regime after about a week or so without my skin having a bad reaction..could you tell me which measuring spoon you used to measure out your 3:1 ratio? And also what percentage was your LA Peel at when you did the 3:1 and 2:1 dilutions?

#157 ·
I want to start on a really low concentration for my peels when I do it. I'll work my way up, first increasing time and then increasing percentage. I jus want to avoid any pimples or bad reactions if I can by going really slow with the peels? My laptop is broke or else I would use the LA calculator thing that was created by someone on this site... But since it's broke can someone tell me how the peel measurements work? Ok so measuring in tsp amounts, if you take 90% LA and mix it with with distilled water 1 tsp: 1 tsp (water to LA) it will give you 45% right? So what will 2 tsp water : 1 tsp LA give me? With that half the 45% making it 22.5% and then will 3 tsp: 1 tsp be half of 22.5% giving me 11.25.%? And If I did LA peels in these low concentrations would they even be beneficial at all? And also do you experience macro peeling from LA peels because if so I'll pass. I mean I can deal with the little dry flaky patches of skin that you can just use moisturizer to rectify but as far as having really big portions of my face being discolored I can't deal with walking around looking like that. I seen a video with someone who did a TCA and they had tons of peeling, if u feel comfortable walking around like that then more power to you but I cNt do it.

#158 ·
Here Longway this should help you To use LA as a peel, you only dilute it with distilled water equal portions.... If you are using 90% LA using equal amounts here is the conversion chart 1 part LA + 9 part H20 = 9% 2 part LA + 8 part H20 = 18% 3 part LA + 7 part H20 = 27% 4 part LA + 6 part H20 = 36% 5 part LA + 5 part H20 = 45% 6 part LA + 4 part H20 = 54% 7 part LA + 3 part H20 = 63% 8 part LA + 2 part H20 = 72% 9 part LA + 1 part H20 = 81% 10 part LA no water added = 90% **Just remember when reading through these links below, most used 88% NOT 90% like we do today :thumbsup: ** -SunKissed via http://www.skincaretalk.com/basic-sk...tml#post264932 "if it is 1 ounce then you need to add 1 ounce of DISTILLED WATER to dilute it down to 44% which is GOOD ENOUGH for the face, ears, and everywhere else. " - LightenNLift via http://www.skincaretalk.com/introduc...tml#post266499

#159 ·
GymRat I don't think I ever seen a post of yours that doesn't have an emoji in it! Lol!! But THANKS!!! u are the greatest!!! :) P.S. Those links aren't working for me ...tried clicking on them and tried copying and pasting ... I'm on iPhone if that has anything to do with it

#160 ·
LOL, Wow, I never even thought of the emoji addiction until you mentioned it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D As for the links, they should still work even when using your iPhone. They didn't work for me just now either, I am checking as too why...........stay tuned :)

#166 ·
Swahilibeauty Dark knuckles this is the best lactic acid instruction I have found. It's my "to go to". ;):D:D happy peeling[/quote . Pls pls ... I live in Lagos, I dunno where to get this LA peel and LA lotion you all talk about, I new some help please. That mama tega that talk about, so u Lagos folks think she might have? All I need is exfoliation, not necessarily trying to lighten up,I will be fine with whatever exfoliation gives me... Pls help a sis out...

#169 ·
if thé red us immediately after application (when you have washed off the peel) Then that is normal. At least for me :) Moisturise and avoid over exposure to sun. However if it's still red a day or more later, that is PIH. moisturise well and let your skin heal avoid acids for a while. What percentage did you use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.